PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Selling V3i, Why?

MartinL
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I've known for a while that many veteran THs have bundled up and sold their V3i machines. Call me a skeptic maybe, but I always go into protective mode, i.e. Is the V3i a sick technology? Many mods from another site sold theirs late last year, and I see a mod here selling his. Surely the economy hasn't disabled all of these people to cause this. Me:huh:, I'd take close to my money back on mine, which was bought through a mod on another site, at a decent price. I just never felt the V3i was anything like it was built up to be, by many of the same people I now know have sold theirs. Am I too suspicious? martin

pulltabsteve
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Martin, The V3i is a great machine. Its not for everyone. Its for people who like to make adjustments and take the time to learn what these tweaks do. I started detecting 6 years ago with the M6. The machine is easy to use and finds good items. Deep too. Im just comfortable with it. Most of my hunts last 4-6 hours. The battery life on the M6 is excellent. For me, Id rather be swinging the machine than making adjustments. I have 4 other machines besides the M6 and V3i. Its a matter of choice for me. If my V doesn't sell, then I will keep it, learn it and find great stuff with it. My second trip out with the V I found a 1722 spanish reale in a very hunted out spot. 2 weeks later I found a nice gold ring on the beach. Its like any tool, learn it and it will work for you.

CyberSage
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I think you have summed it up very nicely Steve. I would add that the V3/V3i was designed for versatility, and for pushing the envelope in a variety of environments. It is in fact a turn on and go detector, but to maximize your results you do have to have an understanding of not just what the individual controls do, but also how they interact with each other. As Steve so wisely stated, Its not for everyone. For me the experimenting and adjusting is a lot of fun. Keep the faith brother Martin, you have a great machine there! lol

Jack

BOWSER
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
some people like to hit a spot ,turn on and go, others like to fiddle and didddle for an hour and then wonder if thier settings are right, They are the very same people that wonder what they missed after all the setting choices they made.Then you come on to a forum and find out that a guy with an ace 250 is doin a heck of a lot better than you are, and his kid with a 150 came home with a gold ring. To be honest at least my prism11 paid for itself and found most of my best finds.I put out 500 for an mxt and that's as far as i'm goin money wise. 8/

Trigem
03-03-2011, 09:58 PM
The V3i isn't for the weak at heart \:hammer:
There's so many variations in this detector you have
got to enjoy technical electronics, This machine
will probably take the average person 6 to 12 months
to get a real good basic understanding of what you have....
If you are over whelmed with complicated electronics, :barf:
get you a two knob-er, :poke:
For me, I love complicated :cheering: I have only had the V3i for three weeks
or so, and I love it <:
I also love all the helpful info you can find for it on the net :clapping:

Above all, just get out there and dig, dig, dig :peace:

Rebel8
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I would like to add, the veterans you speak of, I sure hope
they are in my hunting grounds. It took me a year to dig my first
silver dime in excess of 10 inches with the v3i. That came at a price I was willing
to pay. You can find treasure without a detector just by eyeballing.
You can find it with an inexpensive detector. You can give someone
a v3i and without due dilligence he won't find that 10 inch dime. Some accept
the challenge, some don't. For most it is a hobby. If you are not having success
or fun, don't blame it on the equipment. Lower you expectations. lol

Coinstar
03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
I just got my V3i about 5 days ago. I absolutly love it. Before I decided on the V3i, I had 2 other detectors I was thinking about. The 3 machines were the E-trac, F75LTD, and the V3i. I went online and looked at the different used machines available and the price points. I found that the V3i and the E-trac had about the same amount of used units for sale. The F75LTD seemed to have a tad more. Of the V3i's I saw, only one had the wireless headphones. It got sold before I could blink twice. So I went to my local dealer, he gave me a great deal. My point I guess, is that I didn't see any more used V3i's than any other detectors out there.

Right now I am just getting used to the basic machine pre-sets. After a couple of weeks, I will be getting into programming for my specific needs.

MartinL
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
All valid points! It just gets confusing when some of the soapbox standers(not this board) who make a solid statement like, The V3i is the best detector of all detectors and then learn that some of those same folks sold theirs already. I like my V3i, even though I always get out done by my brother with a really delapidated Fisher 1260. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it all when the $1500 Whites gets smoked by a detector all eaten up by salt. martin

cnr_dogs
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
All valid points! It just gets confusing when some of the soapbox standers(not this board) who make a solid statement like, The V3i is the best detector of all detectors and then learn that some of those same folks sold theirs already. I like my V3i, even though I always get out done by my brother with a really delapidated Fisher 1260. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it all when the $1500 Whites gets smoked by a detector all eaten up by salt. martin

I agree 100% but its all user and machine and that users knowledge of the machine. My dad has been swinging his MXT longer than I have mine. He knows the intracacies for it in his area of Colorado and will beat me down in finds. Come to Idaho and he cant hang with me. He has also lost some hearing and has diminished vision but he still throws down with his detector. and amazes me with the finds he gets.

RWJR13
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Well said.......

russellt
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
i think its all in what you are comforatable with . i would be willing to guess that MOSTLY .the people who are selling their V's are not buying other detectors . they are going back to what they had before purchasing the V3i.. this is not true all the time but i would say that is the majority.. i like ruger guns, my pop likes smith & wesson. i ilke volkswagens, he likes trucks . its all relative

Epi-hunter
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I bought a V3 when they first came out, used it for a couple of days, almost wrapped it around the neck of my detecting partner (who was using an E-Trac) out of frustration, so I sold it and bought an E-Trac. Love the E-Trac. Then a few months ago I bought a V3i. I like the V3i too, but for different reasons. :yes:

digginpa
03-05-2011, 01:46 AM
I went from a green machine to a v3i, and never looked back. Its versatile and goes deep. The learning curve is steep but kept pluggin away, am now comfortable using it. If someone were to give me a new machine Free...Id take another V3i for my daughter...she's using the other machine which is good turn on and go. Before I spent the money on the V3, I studied all the other detectors, and the manufacturers, and the customer service issues, along with any modifications these companies may offer in the future...Whites wins hands down. Another big plus is, just check out the other detector forums,the most helpful people are on the whites forums. Nuff said.............

MartinL
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I really don't mean to try and have the last word here, yet my point is that several of the veterans I speak of were the same ones stating emphatically that these were the King Of The Hill of detectors, THEN we find they have sold theirs. This, folks, is where I become confused. IF the V3i is, in their own words, the BEST of the best, and they own one, THEN sell it,,,something smells fishy IMO. I assume that some are dealers hawking their wares, and some are simply antsy for testing new detectors, yet if I ever said that that ANY detector I owned was the King, I'd sure not sell it!

As far as the White's forums being really saturated with lots of helpers on the V...that in itself says there is a lot of help needed. We won't mention the particular forum name here, but those gurus were best known for giving page numbers from the manuals. I never considered that as real help from an active discussion board. IF, IF IF, the V3i is the King, then logic says all of the true veterans would keep their V3i. Mind you, I am highlighting the ones who stood on their soapboxes about the V3i, not the casual TH'r we realizes the V3i isn't their cup of tea. martin

Trigem
03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I really don't mean to try and have the last word here, yet my point is that several of the veterans I speak of were the same ones stating emphatically that these were the King Of The Hill of detectors, THEN we find they have sold theirs. This, folks, is where I become confused. IF the V3i is, in their own words, the BEST of the best, and they own one, THEN sell it,,,something smells fishy IMO. I assume that some are dealers hawking their wares, and some are simply antsy for testing new detectors, yet if I ever said that that ANY detector I owned was the King, I'd sure not sell it!

So what detector are you using?

MartinL
03-06-2011, 08:18 AM
So what detector are you using?

I have a V3i. martin

midas
03-06-2011, 08:21 AM
MartinL, The King of detectors is the brand or model in the hands of the person using it that yields the most finds. Whether it be an ETrac, V3i, GTI, Coinmaster, Ace, Xterra, etc. etc. My Dad used to say that it is the Mechanic and not the Tool that gets the job done right. Obviously you haven't found the right tool that you are comfortable with yet. Each detector has it's own language to learn, it's not something that can be learned overnight. Like the Mechanic, it's takes practice and experience. Go to a local Multi Brand dealer and try every machine he has to find the right one for you.

MartinL
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
You are sort of missing my point. My point for this discussion is that many of those touting the V3i as The best, hands down, sold theirs late last year. Me?, I'll continue to play with mine. The whole point of the thread was to clear the confusion over why some of the same people who say one thing(Best detector hands down), then sells theirs. It is illogical.

martin

Coinstar
03-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Here's another theory. I went hunting with a friend of mine yesterday at a big park. When we pulled up someone with an E-trac was swinging away. We got out and did a different area of the park. I have a V3i my friend has an MXT. This place was full of trash. Since we were hunting for jewelry, we were crouching down digging pull tabs about once every minute. My friend found a small 10k gold womens ring. I found very little clad, one wheatie, and about a pound of tabs (seemed like it anyhow). Anyway, the E-trac guy came over and asked if we found anything. I showed him my wheatie. My friend showed the ring. First thing out of his mouth was.. I haven't found anything in this park in months. I am thinking about getting a white's and selling this e-trac. So maybe, the Veteran's are reading Minelab forums about all the GREAT finds, or, going out with friends with different machines and they clean house. Only they can answer.

Dimeman
03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
You are sort of missing my point. My point for this discussion is that many of those touting the V3i as The best, hands down, sold theirs late last year. Me?, I'll continue to play with mine. The whole point of the thread was to clear the confusion over why some of the same people who say one thing(Best detector hands down), then sells theirs. It is illogical.

martin

In my area there were quite a few locals who had bought the DFX and said the same thing. It was the best and nothing could match it. After a few years, all but a couple of them have changed brands. :shocked04:stretcher:

It's whatever you are comfortable using at the time. I had a Whites M6 for 4 years and it was the best detector I have ever owned. Now I own a Garrett AT Pro and presently it is the best one I have owned. :smitten:

New models come out and/or peoples mindset about what they are willing to adjust on their detector to make it work to their satisfaction. Having the most expensive detector doesn't make it the best. It's what the operator can learn how to operate the detector he owns, that makes it work to the operators advantage.

I have seen old timers with old taped up rod, and glue on the coil, crappy looking detectors, run circles around guys with top of the line detectors. And those guys with the expensive machines wonder why that old detector works better. And it comes down to the knowledge of the detector by the person using it. If you aren't satified or comfortable with the detector you own, you aren't going to get it to work to its peak performance or your peak performance in your finds.

You seem to have doubts in the V3i and people who have owned them. Maybe they sold it because it was a great detector but not to their liking. I have had some detectors over the years I liked for a while. One I owned for 4 months and got a cheaper model of another brand and was very happy.

There is nothing illogical about it.

Dirt Fisher
03-06-2011, 08:51 PM

As far as the White's forums being really saturated with lots of helpers on the V...that in itself says there is a lot of help needed. We won't mention the particular forum name here, but those gurus were best known for giving page numbers from the manuals. I never considered that as real help from an active discussion board. IF, IF IF, the V3i is the King, then logic says all of the true veterans would keep their V3i. Mind you, I am highlighting the ones who stood on their soapboxes about the V3i, not the casual TH'r we realizes the V3i isn't their cup of tea. martin
You answered WHY those on the other forum gave such hype about the machine and that would be SALES. The main one over there uses the forum as a sales tool through private messages. I'm not saying that the V3i is not a good machine but if everyones experience is like mine then I have to readjust my machine for every different area I hunt. The ground constanly changes around here from one thats very mineralized to one that is not and it does get a bit frustrating at times. Just when I think I'm doing everything right then I learn that there is a slight change I need to make to get that extra bit of depth. When I'm not in the mood for all the changes I take my MXT along which never fails me. I don't think I'll be selling the V3i anytime soon though. My Dad always said,If someone makes something out to be the greatest thing then you better get a second opinion or they are a salesman.

KYBuzzBox
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I really like my V3i. I like the fact that I can talior the settings to any ground type or hunting style that I need. White's hype about a turn-on & go machine for the V3i is really stretching things a bit. This beast has a steep learning curve, no doubt about it. However, once I slowed down, took the time to learn the machine, and have a lot of field time with the unit. I can say that the V3i is just as good as any other top of the line detector (E-Trac, etc...). It's all in learning your machine. I recently had an experience where a kid with an ACE250 was smoking an older guy with an MXT-Pro. We all know that the MXT-Pro is a quality machine, but the kid knew how to work his ACE and that is what makes all the difference. Some people forget this is a hobby, you are suppose to be having fun. Not to be worrying about what the next guy is using. Have fun. HH....KYBuzzBox

leebowhunts
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a V3I and I love it at times but it does get very confusing. I know some people who have already sold there machines, some of these where the ones that told me it was the best. I think it probally is the best if you can set the Monster up for every different place you hunt. I have found lots of great stuff with it and will continue to use it, BUT MASTER IT ,I DONT SEE THIS HAPPENING FOR ME :bangshead02:. I get my butt kicked in trachy areas by a 70 year old guy with a Whites 6000 small box. But in the relic field I kick his butt. Most of the soap box salesman have to change to have new money flowing from advertisment.

Fire Fighter 43
03-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I just sold my V3i. I also own the Etrac and I just purchased the Excal II. I decided to sell the V3i because I could not justify have 3 expensive detectors. After doing some comparisons last season I decided the Etrac was the best fit for me. I mainly coin hunt for old coins. I felt the Etrac has a slight edge on depth and it is easier to set-up. Except for one Garrett machine I have been a diehard Whites fan since 1977 (see my previous machines below). I wanted to like the V3i more and stick with Whites but I really enjoy the Etrac and it's combination of performance and simplicity. Now that I'm getting into water hunting with my new Excal II my first purchase with all the gold I'm going to find just might be another V3i. The power of positive thinking, wish me luck.

CyberSage
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I have had my Vision/V3 for a full two years now. Last fall for the first time I felt myself get that connected to the ground feeling. I used the DFX for about 2 years before I had this same feeling. It takes awhile to really get the feel of a machine. Getting deep coins , and pulling good targets out of trash with the V3 or the E-Trac for that matter is about more than having the correct settings. It is a combination of using the correct hunting technique in conjunction with those settings. Ironically, my skill and ability with the V3 is largely do to the advice given by Angellionel. He is very talented and adept with the E-Trac. His hunting technique was the missing link for me. What I am trying to say is the machine is only part of the big picture. If somebody walked up to you and set your machine perfectly for your soil, and hunting conditions, and handed it back... you would still only be half way there. Somewhere along the line we have become impatient with the time element involved in learning a craft. It takes time, focus, and dedication to the task at hand. It must always remain a learning process. That being said, with input such as we have received on this thread from forum members, it is possible to accelerate the process to some degree. The forums are full of knowledge. Most importantly, do not get frustrated. Use that energy to your advantage instead.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

RaZR
03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I guess i'm not seeing alot of V3i owners selling them off. At least i can't think of any right off hand that were touting them that heavily. I have noticed that it seems that you haven't been very happy with your purchase of one Martin. Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to find someone with an E-trac and see if you can swing it a bit. If you could find a dealer that had one you could check out, even better. It may be a better fit for your kind of detecting! I have used a minelab detector before and they are pretty nice. My neighbor had one and let me try it out. I found a 1920 wheatie in my yard where i was sure i had already run my DFX. I guess my choice for the king of detectors would be a combination of the V3i and the E-trac with the ground balancing of the DFX. And maybe a drink holder and chip tray. rofl

xzlr8n
03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm going head to head this year with a guy who just bought an eTrac. This will be my 2nd year with the v3i-update. I'm feeling pretty confident I can keep up with him, but the field tests will be key. The advantage I've found with the v3i is target id, I'm very confident discerning trash/iron from copper/silver, a bouncing signal with hits of a big green signals sometimes means a good target with trash. High VDI with red dominant has always been deeper iron or a bottle cap. Anyway, my buddy and I will be marking targets for each other to check and we will go over each other's area for missed targets. If I miss good stuff that he finds, I'll be first to let you guys know that I ordered an eTrac for myself.

As far as I'm concerned there are only 4-5 adjustments that need to be made in the field to setup V3i. I'm really not sure why so many people are finding the v3i so difficult to setup. Maybe I'm too confident in myself and my machine, hopefully my buddy's eTrac will set me straight. Going deep and finding elusive targets means going slow and really studying every iffy signal.

CyberSage
03-07-2011, 10:13 PM
This is a great opportunity xzlr8n! I have done this a couple of times now with fellow E-Trac'ers. It is always an education. Swing that E-Trac if you get a chance, they are sweet machines. Good luck on your hunts.

Toadman
03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
It's the best machine hands down ..well once you send it back in for the upgrade.. and when you have had enough of it.. it gives back most of the money you spent on it.... lol lol lol lol lol

leebowhunts
03-12-2011, 09:16 AM

martin
Well said, But I just sold my tool the V3I. It overwhelmed me, Iget my butt kicked all the time using it and I dont even have fun hunting with it. I hunted with all sorts of people and detectors and compared it to their machine when they or I would find a good target. I just was not happy, I just bought a MXT pro and have been hunting with my 6000 Di and I am having fun without all the options the V3I has to offer, I love Whites and their detectors but not capable of using the V3I the way it was built up to be used. Lee

silysavg
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Many good points made about machine comparisons. I did not see anyone say anything about the general knack of being able to be in the right place in any particular metal detecting location.

I remember back in 1982, 83 and 84, finding various silver coins at just about any drive-by location. My buddy had the exact same machine as I had. I can honestly say that almost every time, at the end of a long and successful day when we compared finds, I almost always managed to find a bit more or some better stuff than he did. Our ADS III's were set exactly the same but - there you go. We would hit the road and stop at playgrounds, school, old picnic area, etc. and he would find a spot at that location and beat it to death. Methodical he was.

I on the other hand was a roamer. I would be detecting and see something off in the distance like an old tree or a foundation remnant and imagine what happened near there and off I went.
The same applied when we water detected beaches with our Garrett XL500 Seahunter's. Gold rings were common but I covered more ground.
I'm still like that, even after a 27 year hiatus.

What I am saying is that different hunting strategies also play a large part. Unless the machine is just outright acting up it's hard to compare them.

coinnut
03-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Many good points made about machine comparisons. I did not see anyone say anything about the general knack of being able to be in the right place in any particular metal detecting location.

I remember back in 1982, 83 and 84, finding various silver coins at just about any drive-by location. My buddy had the exact same machine as I had. I can honestly say that almost every time, at the end of a long and successful day when we compared finds, I almost always managed to find a bit more or some better stuff than he did. Our ADS III's were set exactly the same but - there you go. We would hit the road and stop at playgrounds, school, old picnic area, etc. and he would find a spot at that location and beat it to death. Methodical he was.

I on the other hand was a roamer. I would be detecting and see something off in the distance like an old tree or a foundation remnant and imagine what happened near there and off I went.
The same applied when we water detected beaches with our Garrett XL500 Seahunter's. Gold rings were common but I covered more ground.
I'm still like that, even after a 27 year hiatus.

What I am saying is that different hunting strategies also play a large part. Unless the machine is just outright acting up it's hard to compare them.

This is what makes our hobby interesting and comparing machines impossible lol I'm a roamer too and only settle in after I locate something nice. I also look over the land and think of how it was back them. This helps me find more targets, I think :thinkingabout: At least that is what I tell myself lol You can learn some things from marking targets, but that doesn't mean that the other operator would have found that marked target if they didn't know the exact location before hand. It's the style of hunting that can't be put in the equation when comparing machines.

midas
03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
It's not the machine but the operator that makes the difference. Back in the mid 60's, I was using a White's 66T BFO machine. The amount of silver, indians, 2 cent, 3 cent, Halves, pulled from the ground was incredible by todays standards. Even pulled a $5 Gold Liberty with that machine. Modern day - learning and using the V3i has brought the finds almost back to that era. Not in the quantity of coins, but in the amount of OLD coins found.

LeoninCali
04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I have went nose to nose with explorer users...an although the explorer is one hell of a silver gettin machine...the V3 with some understanding and knowledge can do just as well...and will kick ass on gold over the explorer. Don't get me wrong the explorer is one hell of a machine...but the V3 if you pay attention is telling you everything the explorer is...just in a slightly different manner...I've learned to watch the numbers as they display an realized that each frequency shows a different number...as soon as you learn those numbers you will learn what you are digging. and with that knowledge you can be confident in what you dig. :thinkingabout:

MartinL
04-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Martin, The V3i is a great machine. Its not for everyone. Its for people who like to make adjustments and take the time to learn what these tweaks do. I started detecting 6 years ago with the M6. The machine is easy to use and finds good items. Deep too. Im just comfortable with it. Most of my hunts last 4-6 hours. The battery life on the M6 is excellent. For me, Id rather be swinging the machine than making adjustments. I have 4 other machines besides the M6 and V3i. Its a matter of choice for me. If my V doesn't sell, then I will keep it, learn it and find great stuff with it. My second trip out with the V I found a 1722 spanish reale in a very hunted out spot. 2 weeks later I found a nice gold ring on the beach. Its like any tool, learn it and it will work for you.

If the V3i isn't for everyone, and I agree, my question is Why do the seasoned vets in this hobby not master the thing and then sell them? Point is, it's not only Joe & Sally Blow who gets swamped with disillusion with a V3i purchase, many tenured hunters unloaded the V3i in short order as well. If the thing is as stated, the mother of all detectors, then why doesn't all of the hardcore hunters who have owned one, still one one?

This detector(V3i) in not, NOT only for everyone...it apparently isn't for many of those who kept stating that the V3i is at the top of the heap, then read that they dumped their V3i. I may start a thread asking, How many people have the V3i and use it predominitely along with info of their metal detecting years of experience prior to the V3i.

The whole point here is that if the gurus of T-hunters moved away from their V3i machines, then the new people thinking about jumping on the V3i, needs to understand that the V3i is not at the top of the heap, else wise, the best hunters would have kept one for themselves. martin

CyberSage
04-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I am really not sure who you are talking about Martin. All the advanced V3/V3i users that I touch base with on a regular basis are finding good stuff with theirs. What's holding you back from selling yours? At this point if I was you I would just move on and get yourself another detector. I think you have really given the V3/V3i a fair shake. I have watched you work very hard at learning it's use. Time to move on friend. :yes:

tumbleinn
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Once you learn how to use the v3i there is no detector that can compair to it and I also have an etrac.
this comes from a guy that owns both!

MartinL
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
I am really not sure who you are talking about Martin. All the advanced V3/V3i users that I touch base with on a regular basis are finding good stuff with theirs. What's holding you back from selling yours? At this point if I was you I would just move on and get yourself another detector. I think you have really given the V3/V3i a fair shake. I have watched you work very hard at learning it's use. Time to move on friend. :yes:

Well one thing that slows me up in thinking about selling it now is that the most logical place to try to sell it would be on these boards, and it would be logical for anyone thinking about it, to bargain down in case it does have a problem. Plus it doesn't look brand new, but shines pretty when it is clean, no scars mind you. I am actually coming to a firmer conclusion that I have the navigation of the V3i about down pat in the controls, and what I really need is more virgin territory to hunt, i.e, I have 99% cleaned my half acre out with both the 5900 and the V3i since last May. I also sense by the terrain that they brought in fill dirt back in 1970 when it was built, so there maybe was no treasure below 6-8 inches. I have hunted other places, but way back when I was basically in the beginning the learning curve, and using the 6x10DD religiously. Since actually seeing that it does get depth to 13 with the 10 coil, even though I've not actually dug a coin target there, much of my disappointment and worries has diminished.
As far as those selling their V3i machines...I have several names, some lots more seasoned in hunting than I, and notable people we'd all most likely know between this board and that other board. My gentlemanly personality tells me it wouldn't serve any purpose to announce them here, so I won't.

I have picked up a lot of experience and proficiency within the last couple of weeks following advice given here, and that's spurred my enthusiasm to work with the V3i. It's gonna take some time getting used to digging these 8-10+ holes though. I cheat here at home and get the shovel. Doing it all in my soil with a Lesche might just take all the steam out of my hunting fever after a few dry holes, which I have had no real treasure so far when I dig deep. Most times it was something small at much shallower depth, and it's fooling the depth meter in reporting it to be 9-10.

Thanks everyone for your patience. I just need to get out more. I think the V and I mat be stuck with each other. martin

CyberSage
04-19-2011, 05:52 PM
happydance02 Great news Martin happydance02 I am looking forward to seeing the Silver you will be pulling in short order.

RWJR13
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
.... :cheering:.....Thats great to hear Martin....All along I knew you have been putting in some serious time into the V3i and learning it........Going other places to hunt is what you have always needed..... :happydance01: Glad you cut the cord..... lol lol.....Congrats...... :groovy:

rcasio44
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
The same reasons that Etrac users are selling their detectors. Check the classifieds. Rob

Sandman
10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I love my V. Took some time to figure out but once you get it right....it's on. I don't fiddle and hunt saltwater beaches and parks. On the beach it works well and I prefer it over the Excal most of the time when Im not feeling like getting wet.

sp1173
04-07-2012, 12:19 AM
I would like to add, the veterans you speak of, I sure hope
they are in my hunting grounds. It took me a year to dig my first
silver dime in excess of 10 inches with the v3i. That came at a price I was willing
to pay. You can find treasure without a detector just by eyeballing.
You can find it with an inexpensive detector. You can give someone
a v3i and without due dilligence he won't find that 10 inch dime. Some accept
the challenge, some don't. For most it is a hobby. If you are not having success
or fun, don't blame it on the equipment. Lower you expectations. lol

I am the person that wants to go to any site and pull stuff out that people have missed. My first machine was/ is my V. I am having fun with it but it is overwhelming.
I can turn it on and grab clad a few inches down but now I want more deeper coins.
good luck all

Big Red
04-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Everyone's opinion is valid and to the point. But, opinions are like metal detectors, we all swing one and we all have our favorite one. Opinions change over time about just about anything. I agree with this: whatever works for you, use it, enjoy it, treasure it! If another metal detector, some time in the future, makes your little heart go pitter pat, put your old favorite away, buy the new heart throb, use it, enjoy it, treasure it, until another one comes along. I've done that now, seven-eight times and at one time, loved them all! Still love some of them!
They all get us up, out of the house and outside into the sun! Who can complain about that? I am 64 and I don't give a damn what you like and what you buy. (sorry!) I only care about what I like and what works for me. (and what makes my heart go pitter pat! Currently, that is the V3i! Tomorrow? Who knows, who cares, because until the new heart throb arrives, I have my new love to play with and she calls me.....Man does she ever call me.....Name withheld by request, ha,ha! :angelic: >8)

firstring
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm going on my second year with my V3i. Some of you have been through it all since its inception. The v3, you all experimenting and field testing through that one. Then comes along the V3i upgrade. You stuck through it, exrerimented some more, field tested some more. You went through the great Coil War. You are seasoned veterans. You shared your successes and even your failures. Your persistence and patience has paid off. Not only has it paid off in your finds, it has paid off for people like me, maybe a little shy about expressing how we feel. Your efforts and sharing your knowledge has made it easier to understand different capabilities and aspects of of the V3i. I sincerely want to thank you all. As someone else said, the main reason I'm here is for learning. I want to master my machine. if a person is satisfied with THEIR level of expertise with their machine, then fine. As for me, I'm always open to new to new methods of learning how to become a better detectorist. As some have very correctly said; you get the results based on the time you are willing to spend on your machine. Nothing relaces hard work and determination. Again, thank you all for making my detecting experiences with the V3i much more enjoyable. In my opinion as to why people are selling any high end detector goes like this: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them ......

midas
05-25-2012, 07:55 AM
After reading all these posts, I have come to the conclusion that each detector technology has its' advantages and disadvantages. There is NO - 1 all purpose machine that will beat the other in all detecting tasks. Can't beat the pulse for saltwater use, can't beat the V3i or MXT (VLF) for lower conductive targets and you can't beat the ETrac (FBS) for silver coins next to iron.

freemindstuck
07-09-2012, 12:01 AM
I have another theory as to why people might be selling their V3I's. I bought mine eight months ago, priced it at KellyCo, you have to call them, and then got a local dealer to beat their price. I like following White's equipment on Ebay and regularly see used V3I's going for more then I paid for mine brand new. I've been thinking about selling mine on ebay and buying another new one. There really is a sucker born every minute!