PDA

View Full Version : Snow silver

Islandhunter
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Got a call from a customer of mine asking if my detector worked thru the snow...he wanted to find an old water line. I went down there and swung over 2 inches of snow and spent about a half hour....never did find the water line but did manage some clad and a 1943-S Washington quarter. Gave up after a half hour due to the fact I could no longer feel my fingertips after digging thru the snow and very wet and cold soil. Probably gonna be the last silver (or anything for that matter) for the year. :crying02: >:\

del
12-08-2009, 04:07 PM
if the water line is still in use it would have to be below the frost line ( about three feet deep or more) and i'm not sure you could even find it with a regular detector IH.

coinnut
12-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey great score. Not many detectors will find a deep water pipe unless it's within around 15 or so. Most pipes are very deep and the unit I use is a Schonstedt magnetic locator (technically a flux-gate magnetometer lol) This is what the guys looking for well caps and pipes in the street use. If that pipe was deep, you could have been there all day and not found it, but I bet your silver count would have increased thumbsup01

Islandhunter
12-08-2009, 04:37 PM
if the water line is still in use it would have to be below the frost line ( about three feet deep or more) and i'm not sure you could even find it with a regular detector IH.

That thought did cross my mind. The water line was only used in the summer and was drained in the fall so we were hoping it was not dug too deeply and that laziness overcame worries about frost... ;)

randy
12-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Congrats on the silver. Nice little bonus after the season seems over.

MNDigger
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Congrats on the silver! I think most of us are in the same boat for the rest of the year! :crying02:

angellionel
12-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Nice hit on that silver quarter. thumbsup01

OkieDigger
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
You were at least rewarded for giving it a shot.

Bentfork
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Nice find! Tough going, but worth it.

bmattioli
12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice find considering it's so darn cold out and I dispise the cold..

RickO
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Nice finds in adverse conditions... too bad the water line was not found. Any reason they cannot trace it back from the house? RickO

hoser
12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
A nice reward for getting out in the cold. If it is a metal water line you might be able to find it with a couple of bent coat hanger wires used as a dowsing rod. I know it works as I have seen it done. Hey its worth a shot. thumbsup01

woodwizard
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
don't know if it will work in the cold but I've seen a guy find lost water line using two L-shaped wires made from like a coat hanger thickness wire.he held them loosely and they crossed when over the pipe.I know I couldn't believe it and I was standing with in 3-4 ft of him but we dug down and sure enough there it was.also as a kid when on farm the neighbor found water with a V shaped apple branch-we put well right where she said and there was plenty of water -dowsing its called