PDA

View Full Version : Etrac replacement, what would you like?

Fire Fighter 43
03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm bored and I thought this would generate some good discussion.
What would you like to see in a new Minelab that would replace the Etrac?
Here is my list:
Waterproof
Wireless headphones (waterproof)
a pound lighter
Better balanced
A digital depth readout

Ill Digger
03-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Those all would be some nice improvements. Volume control would be a nice addition too :yes:
Thats about all I can think of :dontknow:

angellionel
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
A digital depth readout would definitely be an improvement. An anti-glare display would be nice too. :yes:

Ill Digger
03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
A digital depth readout would definitely be an improvement. An anti-glare display would be nice too. :yes:
Oh yeah! A digital depth gauge would definitely be an improvement!! thumbsup01 Thats a big one!
I can tell it's been way too long since I've run my E ! crying01

Fire Fighter 43
03-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I forgot to add built in Sun Ray probe. I'm not asking for much, am I.

Schrecky
03-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Except for the waterproof, sounds almost like your V3i :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I don't own an E-Trac (yet) but I have read in reviews that some people are unhappy with the arm cuff, stating that it's too flimsy and prone to splitting or breaking, and the strap won't stay fastened. Have any of you had that problem? I know there is an after market aluminum arm cuff available.

So maybe a better quality arm cuff?

RobW
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I would like to have what my Garrett had. Graphical sizing.

midas
03-18-2011, 10:29 PM
a see thru the ground video of what's in the ground as you move the coil. - rock, pull tab, 1877 indian head, $5 gold piece, etc.

coinnut
03-19-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't own an E-Trac (yet) but I have read in reviews that some people are unhappy with the arm cuff, stating that it's too flimsy and prone to splitting or breaking, and the strap won't stay fastened. Have any of you had that problem? I know there is an after market aluminum arm cuff available.

So maybe a better quality arm cuff?

The arm cuff stinks lol Besides being flimsy, the strap is inconvenient to use. There are a couple of after market cuffs around and they work great. No issues with mine and I am not gentle with it lol

midas
03-20-2011, 08:28 AM
It's incredible that a manufacturer like Minelab and White's would put out an expensive machine like the ETrac or the V3i and cut corners to save a dollar or so by putting a cheap filmsy arm cup on the machine. I talked to White's and they said we sell a heavy duty arm cup. Why not put it on the machine to begin with.

RaZR
03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
It's incredible that a manufacturer like Minelab and White's would put out an expensive machine like the ETrac or the V3i and cut corners to save a dollar or so by putting a cheap filmsy arm cup on the machine. I talked to White's and they said we sell a heavy duty arm cup. Why not put it on the machine to begin with.

AMEN!!!!!

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I have bought a new E-Trac since I made that post and I do have to agree that the arm cuff is very flimsy and the strap is cumbersome. I find myself just leaving the strap fastened all of the time and I just slip my arm in and out of the opening.

I certainly agree that such expensive machines should have a heavier quality arm cuff!

Epi-hunter
03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

I would guess that the rationale from the company's POV is that with all of the hoopla about the greatness of the detectors, that such things as arm cuffs are not something that would affect someone to make a decision about buying or not buying a machine.

And once a person does buy a machine, they will likely be willing to pay the upgrade to get it done right. :) Just an opinion. Does not mean it is right.

I don't use the arm cuff on the E-Trac so it is not an issue for me. But I see everyone's point. :)

staydetuned
03-26-2011, 01:12 AM

Hehe, yeah, I can't believe how often I'm almost blinded hunting in the day - seems like that thing hits the perfect angle to blind you way more than it should.

And a few pounds lighter would be nice as well... :)

Cheap Thrills
03-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Make it lighter with a better balance and at least a 4 year warranty or a reduction in price and build them here in the USA .

Tony Two-Cent
05-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I would guess that the rationale from the company's POV is that with all of the hoopla about the greatness of the detectors, that such things as arm cuffs are not something that would affect someone to make a decision about buying or not buying a machine.

And once a person does buy a machine, they will likely be willing to pay the upgrade to get it done right. :) Just an opinion. Does not mean it is right.

I don't use the arm cuff on the E-Trac so it is not an issue for me. But I see everyone's point. :)

Now that I actually own an E-Trac and have used it pretty heavily for six weeks, I can say that the arm cuff is not an issue for me. I have found that it is not necessary for me to fasten the strap, it's too cumbersome and time consuming to do so. Now that I am used to the E-Trac I can swing it all day without any arm fatigue, even with the added weight of the inline SunRay X-1 probe. We'll see how the plastic arm cuff is holding up after a year or so.

Viking
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I also do not use the arm strap, so it hasn't been an issue. I really haven't ever looked at any piece of the E-trac and thought boy, this looks cheaply made, but that's just me. My biggest issue is getting blinded when the sun hits the screen just right, even with a control box cover on it.

A digital depth meter would be cool. Hadn't thought of that until reading this post.