PDA

View Full Version : Places to consentrate on ?

Ill Digger
03-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Lately I've been seeing lots of outstanding jewelery being found! I know some come from tot lots and the wood chips. But the folks who are hunting and focusing on the playing fields, like football, soccer, and baseball . Where are the jewelery finds mainly coming from? The side lines , playing field itself, or are the finds coming from high traffic areas? Like around concession stands or paths leading from the parking lot to the fields? This past week I've put in about 29 hours hunting some local soccer fields and done really well in the clad and pull tab departments ! :rolleyes: :bangahead01: lol I'm looking to do better in the jewelery department this season. :yes: Any help or suggestions would be appreciated .

del
03-05-2011, 09:52 PM
hey Tim when i did parks and schools most jewelry i found was on the soccer/football fields (class rings , silver and gold chains , wedding bands ). some was found on the sidelines and some was found around the parking lot edges .

Dan

zrickkid
03-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I'll keep that stuff in mind. :angelic:

jkress
03-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Awesome question Tim. :clapping: I've been wondering the same thing lately.
I keep finding nickels, pull tabs and foil while everyone else is recovering gold. :confused:
Can't wait to hear what the gold pros will offer for help here. :yes:

russellt
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
at fields i hit the approaches to and from the concession stands, bathrooms and parking lots. all around the parking lots and on both sides of fences around the field. have you ever noticed how people stand at ballpark fences with their arms resting on the fence.. there you go..

marinedad
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
don't forget entrance=exit to park bathrooms, i found a nice 1/2 oz. 925 coach ring 3 deep in front of an outhouse along with misc. clad.

cliffy
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I am not a pro but with me I have hit more rings and necklaces on the fields with my dfx and bigfoot coil. That being said I have found better quality rings on the sidelines with the Vison and a small coil. When I hunt for gold jewelry every vdi above a 50 vdi is out with no tone. No need to dig coins. Both machines can punish the rings very well.
hh
cliffy

steve in so az
03-06-2011, 10:43 PM
I have had a lot of luck in fields and in the play areas also. Sand & chip bark is good for hiding things. Anymore, I am finding a lot of stuff that people are missing as the coins & jewelry are deeper and dirtier looking.
I have dug 8 solid gold items this year so far. They are hard to find but if you go on low disc and dig most signals you will find gold & silver eventually. Especially, I have found that if you dig a lot of nickels then you will get the gold. Good luck, Steve in so az

leslie(nova scotia)
03-08-2011, 05:42 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....when doing a playing field Navy Davy and I have found that the side sidelines near the bleachers, center circle on the field and the area in the net and around are the most productive.

Napa Steve
03-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Hey Tim hang in there buddy the gold usually comes in spurts, as for the golden spots, sometimes you have to think outside the box, try hitting area's that others don't, ie many apartment complexes have tot-lots they are usually loaded with goodies, I sometimes just drive through the complexes and find them near the center of the property, also if you don't mind hunting the hood, those little parks usually produce for me do to the lack of detectorist, when it comes to sports fields my favorite area is on the soccer field side lines, hunt all the way around the perimeter, it usually takes a couple hours but you do have a good chance of finding gold in those areas.

Jaybird
03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I know how you feel, Tim. I thought I was going through a slump after swinging a DFX for a couple of years and going to an E-Trac last year. the DFX gave me at least 6 gold finds in the second year I had it but the E-trac never did produce a gold ring until a couple of weeks ago. I pulled out a nice 10K ladies ring with a small very worn green stone in it. At least I proved the E-trac can find gold. I have been more successful with silver though.
The ring was by an old ball field behind a small set of stands and the concession stand was behind that. It came in at 12-15. Just a little higher than a nickel. I have dug plenty of pulltabs to get the ring and some come in just where the ring came in. The difference seemed to be more solid in tone but high tone in pinpoint mode.

You hang in there. You are doing all the right stuff. Open up your discrimination pattern a little. It seems like gold is very hard to find no matter what detector you use. I'm definitely not an expert either but I do know Persistance pays off. Keep swingin' :yes:

Jay

Ill Digger
03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
These are all great tips folks!! I defiantly have a better idea where to concentrate now. And if things are slow in those places. I've even got a few ideas to fall back on ;) lol Thanks for all your help guys. I hope I'm posting some gold finds here real soon thumbsup01 :drool:If there are any other ideas don't be affraid to let us know.....I'll try anything :yes: lol

neil diggit
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
You've probably already thought of this but here is something that seems to work for me. When I get to a place I look for evidence of where people have been, almost like I was checking out a crime scene or something. I try to get a feel of where the people would be at different times. Also I look for wear marks in the grass, scuffs and stuff. That's the first places I head to and I have found 13 rings (2 gold, 3 silver since Dec.) It helps to know some of the history of places too. I was in my sisters town a while back and we searched an old football field. I originally started searching the worn areas of the field and was finding some coins but then my sister said we used to stand over this way and watch the games. We started searching there and I found a 10 kt gold ring. I also look to see if it looks like it's been detected before. I was at a field the other day that looked like it had lots of potential but it was pretty slow going. (only found 5 coins) I finally went around to one of the baseball backstops and saw where some other MD'er had been digging the turf and I left after seeing that.

Carver
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Great topic Tim!!!! I mostly hunt old house yards,, so I don't find that much gold jewelry,,,,not that I don't try,,,I've found some , but not much. Super tips folks!!!!!!