PDA

View Full Version : Is this what EMI does to V3i?

Coinstar
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
So I am in this park next to these huge power lines and a railroad nearby. As I approached the area near the powerlines my machine started freaking out. In Polar mode the green bar was just a big circle. The machine would not shut up. Is that an indication of EMI? or some other anomoly? I did two things to quiet it down. Both worked. One..I took it out of 3 frequency mode and put it into 22.5 only. It quieted down. I then put it back into 3 frequency mode and put the offset at +3. It quieted down as well but not quite as much as putting it into the single freq mode. I just wasn't sure if it was voltage drop from the batteries, or interferance. I could hit different spots within a few feet and it would go away. I am pretty new to this hobby. First time this has happened. I thought my machine was broke. :crying02:

MANDAD76
03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Yup, sounds like the emi demon. Usually frequency offset up/down till quiet will work - lower sensitivities help/smaller coils help/concentric coils help/sometimes different filter/sometimes salt comp mode/sometimes single freq 22.5 most stable. Find what works and you're in business - hope you get er figured out - good luck!

Dirt Fisher
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
There is no way I can hunt near an electric fence or cell phone tower with mine. It will not quit with the noise so I have to pack up and do another location.

russellt
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
yup . mine will flat freak out in heavy emi especially since i use the d2 COIL . .. i just move on

midas
03-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Wrap the control box and d2 coil in aluminum foil. That will get rid of the EMI. lol :bangshead02: lol

Seriously, turn down sensitivity, gain and go with 1 frequency.

pulltabsteve
03-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Wrap the control box and d2 coil in aluminum foil. That will get rid of the EMI. lol :bangshead02: lol

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl <}