PDA

View Full Version : The Barber, And The Indian - Relaxing In The Park

CyberSage
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I find myself as I did all last year, squeezing in a hunt here and there in between my work and duties around the house and yard. With the warmer weather comes the spring cleanup and preparations for the vegetable garden and numerous flower beds. Tax time is almost here, and that is a job unto itself. This weekend along with the chores, came time to escape to the local parks and do some coin shooting as well. The weather was brisk and cold, but my Lesche sunk easily into the ground. This simple act of plunging my digger into the dormant grass of the park is enough to send my mind voyaging, and dreaming of what finds lay in wait for me this coming year.
The parks are always quiet and relatively empty this time of year. This makes the hunts peaceful and reflective. I am forever daydreaming about the passage of time and the individuals who came to these parks to relax and take a break, just as I do now. We are a hundred years apart, but walk the same ground for the same reasons. How I wish I could get just a glimpse of the past and see the families, children, and young couples of yesteryear.
Then, as so many times before the rush of reality awakes me from my dream. I am being interrupted by a rhythmic repeating tone filling my headphones, letting me know that the past and present worlds were about to be joined together once again in a small way by a simple coin dropped so many years ago...

IndianBarber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwl-9N9-31U#)

The Indian was in great shape. My second of the year.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/IndianD.jpg

The locals have told me that a dance pavilion and stage once stood where the playground now sits.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/IndianSite.jpg

The little Barber Dime was a welcome site at the bottom of the hole.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/BarberD.jpg

I spent more time gridding the area. You can see my digging cloth still marking the location of the Barber Dime dig. No more Silver for me today, but I was content with what the old park gave up. What a wonderful way to end the weekend.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/BarberSite-1.jpg

I managed a couple of Wheats along with the Indian and Barber. They are still very fun to unearth.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/Group-5.jpg

I loaded up my gear in the car, and took a short walk back to where I dug the Barber coin. The bare boughs of a large old growth tree loomed over my head as I looked down at the ground. The cold empty park had once been full of life. People from the area a hundred years ago came here to escape the daily grind. Countless thousands of picnics probably happened under this tree over the years. No doubt, when the weather warms the park will once again come alive. The picnics and the celebrations will continue, and someone without realizing it will accidentally...

...drop a coin.

There I go dreaming again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Carver
03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
It's nice to see those old coins pop out of the ground!!!!! SWEET finds for sure <: <: <:

neil diggit
03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Man ! You are sure a good writer. Way to go on the finds.

zrickkid
03-06-2011, 11:21 PM
I love your take on the tree and the lives it has seen over the years. I hope you find more good stuff there this spring. :angelic:

JTGOLD
03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
nice finds and good story,gg.

Cheap Thrills
03-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Jack , I really enoyed watching the video , reading your thoughts and seeing the pictures . It takes me right there enjoying the trip with you . As you lift that find from Mother Earth you are actually feeling the past and you know for that brief instant you are doing something that you were meant to do. What a magnificent invention that combines the use several senses to form a new one . In the grand scheme of things I like to believe the joy we get finding things balances out the feeling of loss by the former owner . Keep swinging Jack , you're doing it for all the right reasons . Great finds and thanks for sharing a great experience . thumbsup01

Ill Digger
03-07-2011, 01:50 AM
You got it figured out Jack!! thumbsup01
Mix a little work with pleasure.
And what a pleasure it must of been to unearth those two little beauties ! :yes:
Looks like a nice peaceful, fruitful day out detecting! Good times!
Congrats :grin:

Poker Jim
03-07-2011, 03:20 AM
I love the peaceful aspect of hunting like you mentioned, and the connection with the past. It is a bit haunting to think that in this exact spot however long ago, someone dropped something. An now, eons later, here I am finding it. All of the history that has taken place in the mean time. Great endeavor.

Poker Jim

pulltabsteve
03-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Great post, great pictures and great finds Jack! :yes:

giant056
03-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Great score on the Barber and Indian Jack thumbsup01

Lowjiber
03-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Great film, story, and pictures, Jack! thumbsup01 (As always)

rsarge1
03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
great hunt you had there Jack wtg :beerbuddy: :clapping: :clapping:

tanacat
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
The old church bells was the perfect touch to a great vid and story :beerbuddy:

Congrats on those nice coins :)

sandals
03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
very nicely done....the video, the story, the finds, just great, thanks for sharing with us....

CyberSage
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words friends. I do really enjoy this hobby. The history is always there just waiting to be found. If the Gods throw me a coin every once in awhile then all the better. ;)

In the grand scheme of things I like to believe the joy we get finding things balances out the feeling of loss by the former owner.

Sheik, this is profound. :yes:

Jack

jkress
03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
:clapping:

Thanks for the post Jack! It was great. Congrats on the oldies. Love the shot of the IH.
Greats pics all around. :clapping:
Awesome hunt.

exsquid
03-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Loved your writing and post....man I was there and lost in your words... It is incredible how this hobby can speak to you so deeply and touch the past... wow...I enjoyed the thread immensely...

wingmaster
03-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the barber and IH.

russellt
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
awesome day in the field jack... i loves me some old coinage// and you covered most of the bases today. wheats, a barber, and you roped an injun.... fabulous

odave
03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Sweet finds Jack !! Congratulations thumbsup01 thumbsup01
A very enjoyable video Jack ! I got relaxed just watching it :yes:
The Bells really put the Music to a sweet find !

Where You using Your correlate Program ?
I've loaded it in My V3i but haven't had the chance to try it Yet
I'm looking forward to working with it up in the mountains !

Great Post thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave

CyberSage
03-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Where You using Your correlate Program ?
I've loaded it in My V3i but haven't had the chance to try it Yet
I'm looking forward to working with it up in the mountains !

I am still using the correlate based program that is posted with the Lock Track set to on. I am starting to play with mixed mode a little. Hard to get used to the extra noise though.

Salty Dog
03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Nice Video and Finds Jack,thanks for sharing...Work has a way of cutting into ones tecting,best of luck on your future hunts,Dave

RobW
03-09-2011, 09:17 AM
That is a beautiful Indian :loveit: Nice score on the dime too!

Evan/tn
03-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Great post Jack,nice indian and silver. I love the way the simple dropped coin is a link to the past. Great story thumbsup01

BOWSER
03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
thanks for the view it was great.

dave in iowa
03-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Jack is the Jack London of our forum here , great story and great finds . I can just hear the Call of the Wild as he finds a nice old silver coin. thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks like a full liberty Indian, very nice.

Epi-hunter
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm late on this one... but great post as always Jack. :yes:

And great finds :) The barber is one of my favorite coins. Very nice seeing that coming out of the ground. Glad to see you are out digging again. :)

BillZ
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Love watching your videos!
I also daydream about what was going on when the finds I make were dropped. It really adds to the excitement and wonder of what will come out of the ground next.

A Barber and an Indian on the same hunt makes for a great day. thumbsup01

catskillcomics
03-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Great hunt Cyber, gotta love those barbers, and I love when those IHs come out of the ground with a nice patina.