PDA

View Full Version : Hi trash mode question..

Coinstar
03-07-2011, 02:41 AM
I tried using the high trash mode with my V3i. It did quiet down a bit in the very trashy park. I am just wondering, what will I be passing over in that mode? Gold? Jewlery? Zinc pennies? Also, how much depth do you lose/gain when using high trash in comparison to say the Coin/Jewelry setting. Do any of you use this mode in a high junk park? I switched back to the C&J program, since I wanted to make sure to dig those pull tab/foil targets for jewlery.

I just started detecting not to long ago, and only 5 days with the V3i still learning the basics :)

Lowjiber
03-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Like you, I used HT a couple of times when I first got the machine. By accepting VDI readings in the +15 to +25 range, you'll still pick up nickels and a ring now and then.

Zincolns are pretty much shut off as most come in around +57'ish, and the Accept range is off from +26 to +66. Above +66 should allow you to get hits on the remainder of the clad and all of the silver coins.

I didn't give the program enough of a chance to actually reveal any significant depth, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't be as deep as the stock CJ program.

As a side note, an old buddy once told me, If the VDI is +8, dig it. If you're going to use HT, I suggest accepting +6 to +9 as well. Admittedly, you'll get some foil hits, but high carat gold hits a lot around +8.

If you're interested in tinkering with accept/reject ranges and adding different tones across the VDI scale, give Yazoo's modified C&J program a try. I use it a lot...changing filters and frequency combinations based on the conditions. It will perhaps give you a first look at custom programs that really take advantage of all the adjustable features of the V3i.

Sorry this is not much of a review, but my experience is limited because I wanted a wider range of targets...even in higher trash areas.

Coinstar
03-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks! I went to a park today and stuck with C&J. Going back to the real trashy park this weekend. Will try the high trash with some adjustments.

russellt
03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
i didnt use HT very much because i didnt like it . to much descrimination. i use a hot hi pro program . but it chirps in high mineralized ground