PDA

View Full Version : coppers and buttons

randy
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Got some warmer weather after a nasty storm moved thru, so between work and the storm managed to get some detecting in. I love looking for coppers after a heavy rain.

Anyway, these are a bit too embarrassing to post. First one at least shows a right-facing bust and a III, but it is a good 1 to 2 mm smaller than a traditional halfpenny. I think there is a full-sized harp or lyre on the back, but it is so worn is is hard to tell. Could be the seated figure. Couldn't find anything that it matched in my Redbook, so I have no idea what it is. The second one is the right size, wrong metal. Period counterfeit worn down to nothing. VDI +48, no green patina. Only 3 inches deep. Third is farthing size, worn to oblivion. But it is still nice to dig three coppers, the excitement of something identifiable is always there.

The next two smaller things are buttons, but the third large thing is kinda cool. Worked on it alot, but couldn't get all the corrosion off, and was worried about wearing the plating off. I think it is a button, but the fastener is broken or worn off. It looks like brass-plated copper (VDI +52). It consists of 4 concentric circles -- the first is an outer ring of brass-plated copper, then a ring of some gray metal, then another ring of brass-plated copper, then the middle is also a disk of the gray metal. Pretty fancy for that time period, I would guess.

I have no idea what it could be :confused:, and wish I could get it cleaned up better. I will say that it is a heart-stopper to dig a coin-sized shiny yellow disk at VDI +52 :twirlingeyes:.

del
12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
very cool Randy , those King George III coins are probably the most counterfieted coins back in colonial times especially the hibernia's . they were an undesireable coin to begin with and the colonies were flooded with them because they were rejected to be used in Brittain and because of so many were here they became a common staple of currency and subjected to counterfieting. the last four items all do look like buttons . you've got some very productive areas out where your at . congrats on the finds .

Dan

angellionel
12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Even when not in the best of shape coppers make for exciting finds. :) You had quite a day detecting. Very nice finds! thumbsup01

OkieDigger
12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Nice digs!

MNDigger
12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Still some very good finds despite condition!

coinnut
12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice finds Randy! That ground is sure cruel to them coppers lol But, it is always nice to see that big green slug pop out of the ground. Also a nice cloak button. I'm not sure if it's actually made of different metals though. If it is, I've never seen one like that. I think it's just the different levels of corrosion that discolors it that way. But I hope I'm wrong lol ;) They were usually made of copper (or brass), and plated gold or washed (plated) silver. Roughly from around the late 1700's. Great colonial relics there. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Great finds! I'm so jealous watching all of you pull so many old coppers.

Islandhunter
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Nice finds!! Those buttons look like they have quite a bit of gilt left on em, some aluminum or naval jelly should clean them up really well.

del
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM
so Randy the last button on the bottom is that a front and back picture of it ? how big is it ?? and as far as i know they didn't brass plate buttons in colonial days but they did gold gilting or silver wash buttons . now if yours is a really big flat one ( almost half dollar size ) its probably a dandy or frock,cloak button as they are called by many . and are indeed very late 1700's era. alot of those have some kind of marks( geo-metric designs, stars, lines, puchmarks,ect) that are hand stamped tool marks.i have found a few that have outer rings or inner circles and some with both . heres a picture of a few different types of Dandies ( most here are bigger than a half dollar in size) the top 3 are about the size of a silver dollar with the middle one being hand stamped with a tool the other two on either side have designs that were made by a hand press and die , all were gilted but only the color remains in the recesses now. hope this helps some.

Dan

randy
12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
so Randy the last button on the bottom is that a front and back picture of it ? how big is it ?? and as far as i know they didn't brass plate buttons in colonial days but they did gold gilting or silver wash buttons . now if yours is a really big flat one ( almost half dollar size ) its probably a dandy or frock,cloak button as they are called by many . and are indeed very late 1700's era. alot of those have some kind of marks

Yes, it is front and back. It is about the size of a half dollar. There seems to be some sort of logo or design in the middle circle, but it is too corroded to make out. It is definitely two metals -- I could probably pry out the grey rings with a screwdriver.

I do have a gold and silver test kit, but I didn't want to rub it on the stone (not that its in good shape, I just didn't want to make it worse).

Thanks for your help Dan (and Jason).

del
12-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Randy , what i use to clean the green corrosion off and to read the backmarks on brass and brass-alloy buttons is a liquid called CLR (calcium,lime,rust) remover that i dilute a 1/3 in water and brush on with a brass brush . its cleans 'em up very well. and if the front has a faint or nice design i'll use a toothbrush and the CLR .

woodwizard
12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
congrats to all of you able to unearth such great finds-but from what I can figure ya gotta live up there where its cold-so guess I'll never dig one unless it hitched a ride being carried by someone heading west