PDA

View Full Version : use my D2 or my new SEF 10 by 12

brown
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi Jack and other detectorists, Hows the hunting? For me not to bad I got my new and improved D2 back in Feb. and so far I got 2 barber Quarters and and 2 Mercs. hitting them about 7, 8 inches deep and that was only with 2 changes from factory that I learned off of Jacks Posting on Going deep with the Vision... So thanks Jack. So tomorrow i'm heading off to an empty lot tomorrow with my buddy and looks inviting and could be a very good spot being its part of High dollar home area that has a lot of History on the Hill. I just don't know if i should use my D2 or my new SEF but as i'm righting this i think I'm sticking with the D2 for now because I got to be on my game tomorrow even though i'm going up against a Garrett 250 I believe they love Silver so again I got to be on my game so i'll just have to use the SEF another day. Happy Hunting To All. PS if anyone could explain some words for me I would appreciate it (the correlate mode, span settings and the wrap around.) Thanks Steve Brown

CyberSage
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Good luck on your hunt Steve! I would stay with that new improved D2 coil if I was you. I very rarely use my SEF anymore. It is slightly deeper, but the 22.5kHz is skewed a little high in it's response patterns. Good for you on making only a few adjustments to suit your own needs. The V3/V3i can be basic, and easy to use, as well as effective if you give it a chance. Great Job!
The Correlate mode looks for two frequencies to agree on a response from a target. The criteria for determining whether two frequencies agree, is how close the VDI response matches. This how close condition is determined by the Span Limit. The larger the span limit the more accepting the response trigger is to the VDI feedback from the target when looking at those two frequencies.
The Wrap Limit allows the Span setting to extend to the negative side. Deep targets can cause the higher two frequencies to Wrap around to the negative side. I have even seen all 3 frequencies wrap in high EMI scenarios, or improperly nulled coils. These settings are among the most powerful options on the V3/V3i.

Jack

rsarge1
03-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Good luck on your hunt Steve! I would stay with that new improved D2 coil I also agree with Jack happy hunting

brown
03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys for the input Ill put the D2 back on and then go back with the SEF later this week and let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks Jack for explaining the correlate,span and the wrap around it took a couple of times for me to read it to sink in but I think I got it. Even though my Garrett buddy Leads me for the year in silver (5 to 4)he better be on his game today because i'm ready and stoked.

brown
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Dang my Garrett buddy got me today he pulled out 9 silver. (2 walking halfs,1walking quarter,1 war time nickel,5 mercs and 1 barber dime).I only pulled out 1 merc. But I think I got the finds of the day with a 2 cent piece cant tell the date and a silver envelope opener in real nice shape with a flower design and a hand made silver ring. so now Ill have to go back and use my new SEF 10 by 12. So stay tuned for part 2. Steve

brown
03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Well peaple went back to the field today now with the SEF and my buddy and I must of hit it pretty hard the first time because the only thing we pulled out was about 4 pieces of Clad I also got a 1909 1 cent Canadian in witch I found by the road by a bush and was like 4 only inches deep. So I m going to take Rsarges and Cybersages advice and stick with the D2 as my main coil but will continue to experiment with the SEF. SO thanks guys for the Advice. Steve

brown
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi guys I cant Believe My buddy and I hit a an awesome spot we went back to the field again and got permission to hunt the yard beside the field and what do you know I pulled up a 1917 D Obverse walking half dollar,a 1944 quarter,and a rosie and my buddy got a rosie and 2 older buttons. I'm using Yazoos program and it is treating me well so thank you Yazoo and I am also Still using my D2 coil witch im loving it. Ps picking up the silver about 8 inches witch is great from a year ago. thanks Steve