PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the X-5

DAN03USMC
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I got my X-5 about two weeks ago, and have been able to get out several times. First thought, man is this thing small. I can see why some may not like it. You have to slow way down, or you will miss a lot. To get through this mentally, I had to picture small areas as squares. I would then grid that square, and move onto the next one. I felt this made it easier rather than randomly searching around.
I was quite impressed with the depth. I was digging targets in the 4-5 range as a rule. I dug one solid copper penny at 7.5 I was very happy with those #s In an old farm field I dug an iron nut about the size of a half dollar down 10.5
Seperation was good, although I'm not sure I can totally comment on that now. I do feel like I had an edge over the 6X8 SEF and 11 pro coil.
I am able to run it much hotter than my Pro coil in the same area. I think this will be a nice trade off, as far as depth is concerned. When I found that big iron nut I was at 30 manual sens.
It did seem to iron false a little more ( I'm not sure if is because it locks on to smaller targets) i'm hoping this is the case when it comes to small silver.
The VDI #'s seemed a little skewed higher. On one target, I was totally gooned. I was getting a hard 11/12 47/48 Thought it was silver....ended up being a solid copper penny@ 4. I rechecked the hole thinking spill....nothing.... That only happened the one time.
All in all I like it. I hope to get out more this week, as our temps are rising and most of the snow is gone. HH, Dan

John S
03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
You well like the x5 if you go walk is slow and you'll get just about as much with it as if you had the large coil on. Ont thing you don't have to dig a large hole with the X5 coil. I have used one for about 1 1/2 and got a lot of good stuff. Where I live it will get a dime at about 7.

coinnut
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that coil should produce well for you Dan ;) ;) I bet it will be your favorite coil around cellar holes and trashy field areas. It does a lot for such a small coil. I have definitely found many smaller targets (as well as a couple of coppers) that the pro coil could not find. Maybe if I knew they were there and slowed down, the pro coil may have found them :dontknow:. But that 5 coil sure did. lol

DAN03USMC
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, I am thinking it will. I will always have the two coils with me. ( pro and X-5 ) Having the X-1 probe on now makes it a lot faster to change coils. I had one before on my DFX, but was holding out with my Etrac. mounted the probe up high and the weight is not even there. I hit a couple of places that I had detected before, with good results. found a couple of things I had missed before. I do think it hits a little harder on good targets, but also gives a few more false positives on iron. I am digging the boarderline iffy's just in case, but that may stop soon. They all end up being iron. I went to a couple of cellar holes, but the berm was froze-up. I will go back after it warms.

jkress
03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Great reading Dan. thumbsup01
I received my X-5 last week but haven't had a chance to have fun with it yet. Definitely looking forward to it. :yes:
Thanks for the info in this thread guys. :clapping:

jkress
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
It did seem to iron false a little more

... boy you aren't kidding.

It is definitely going to take some adapting to use this coil, but I think it will be worth it. I snuck a Merc out of a hole today with 2 big, rusty square nails.
There was just enough tonal evidence of something other than iron that had me digging the hole. During pinpoint mode, I could hit that dime in a very narrow window.
Although I don't have much time at all with the X-5 yet, I quickly figured out that rusty iron will immediately go the the Ferrous corner of my screen(and stay there) in Pinpoint mode.
I'm gonna love this coil. :yes: It does have some very impressive depth for such a small one.

Fire Fighter 43
03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
I hVe the X8 and it is small, the 5 has got to be like a hockey puck. Good review, thanks.

DAN03USMC
03-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I was able to spend a little more time with the X-5. I hit a spot that I had been to before many times. Coins do not come easy here, but I have found a few keepers here and there. I figured this would be a good test. I was able to keep my Man Sens at 27 without any air falsing. It is amazing how many small trash targets get compacted when using a bigger coil, that get exsposed when using a much smaller one. I moved very slow and tried to work every sound that sounded good. I ended up digging quite a few iron targets (mostly square nails) I did end up digging an 1892 barber dime and a 1903 V nickel. On the dime, I dug a normal plug and lifted the top up..... the top was 4-5s thick and the dime was still in the hole. So I figure it was down 6.5 or so. Not too bad with a 5 coil. I had changed up my settings a little.....I switched Deep and Fast off. i know that people have mentioned that the depth meter was way off. saying that the targets actual depth was half as deep as the meter displays. I haven't found this. I think it may be a little off, but think it is closer to 3/4.

RobW
03-16-2011, 10:50 AM
I've been thinking about getting one, what's the damage$$$?

jkress
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I've been thinking about getting one, what's the damage$$$?

Right around $190.00. thumbsup01

RobW
03-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Right around $190.00. thumbsup01

Given the way George loses things, maybe I'll just follow behind him and hope he loses his...finder's keepers lol

del
03-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Given the way George loses things, maybe I'll just follow behind him and hope he loses his...finder's keepers lol

<} rofl lol rofl a very realistic scenario Rob , its the reason i like to follow him down old roads as to i'm sure he'll drop a copper or two one of these times . lol lol

coinnut
03-22-2011, 07:06 PM

:angry: :angry: :hammer:

<} rofl lol rofl a very realistic scenario Rob , its the reason i like to follow him down old roads as to i'm sure he'll drop a copper or two one of these times . lol lol

:girlcry: :girlcry: :girlcry: :hammer: :hammer:

You are both cursed now rofl The only way you are gonna find a copper Dan, is if I do lose one lol

1147SILVER
03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Listen here george I know you find the goods but dan has found some awesome relics and coins I would love to find that G.W he found. I would be careful that he doesnt accidently back over that tuned up etrac I would be careful.. Im just staying quiet and wish you both the best until I learn this $%#$*&^ Machine then look out the trash talking comes out lol

Steve

coinnut
03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Listen here george I know you find the goods but dan has found some awesome relics and coins I would love to find that G.W he found. I would be careful that he doesnt accidently back over that tuned up etrac I would be careful.. Im just staying quiet and wish you both the best until I learn this $%#$*&^ Machine then look out the trash talking comes out lol

Steve

You'll get that machine down pat in no time :clapping: As for Dan, I hear through the grapevine that he has secretly bought an E Trac, and is practicing it behind closed doors lol I jab at him, but he certainly can hold his own, very well :yes: