PDA

View Full Version : Metal Detector for 8 year old

digaholic
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
My son (8 years old) is starting to show an interest in metal detecting. I would like to get him his own detector (not a toy). I was considering the Garrett Ace 250, 350 or the Whites Coinmaster Pro. He will be hunting at the beach primarily, most likely in the dry sand and maybe a little in the wet sand. Can anyone provide any feedback or information on any of these machines? I am open to all comments or recommendations. Thank you.

coinnut
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I would consider the Ace 250 or the White's Coinmaster Pro unit. I think either of those two units would be enough of a machine to find things and keep him happy. Easy to learn too. Plus you could probably find a good price on some used units, especially the Ace 250. More important is a good first hunting location, like someone's yard that hasn't ever been hunted and is a bit older, or a spot on the beach that just had a lot of people on it. That way there are plenty of targets to keep him interested. Hope this helps you.

del
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
either of those machines are good for kids and both pretty light and easy to undersatnd too. i started my girls (about that age too) on a whites prism model and a tesoro silver umax .

russellt
03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
the prizm line from whites is a good low price starter..

Epi-hunter
03-09-2011, 07:23 PM
As George stated, the ACE 250 or 350 are great machines, very lightweight, and would be my preference. :) My daughter (just turned 10) uses the ACE 250 and loves it. As others stated too, the White's prizm series would be a good choice... I'm just not personally familiar with them.

The ACE (and probably the prizm as well) won't do great in wet sand but should be very good in dry sand or soil. :yes: Inability to ground balance is one of the things you will have to deal with when getting an entry-level machine.