PDA

View Full Version : lets see your best find of 09

del
12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
O.k folks for alot of you the season is just about or is over because of the dreaded white plague and bone chilling temps. so i'd like to see what your best find of 2009 is ( and for those that are still detecting in the warmer climates well you got 3 weeks to come up with a good one so this thread could run awhile) now this find could be any category ( coin, jewelry, relic ,don't matter) but single find unless multiple items were found at the same time ( like a cache) .

so lets see'em

treasure hunters

Jack Flynn
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Not being a smarty but here's mine.
I'm tickled to death with climbing that learning curve and seeing what a machine of this caliber can do...

coinnut
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Jack, Don't show Del that machine.... he may start calling you E-Boy like he does me lol He has a hard time letting go of his machine :grin: But I agree, that is one sweet find thumbsup01

del
12-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Not being a smarty but here's mine.
I'm tickled to death with climbing that learning curve and seeing what a machine of this caliber can do...

Jack that is a great thing to find , hope you learn it fast and it is good to you

Jack, Don't show Del that machine.... he may start calling you E-Boy like he does me lol He has a hard time letting go of his machine :grin: But I agree, that is one sweet find thumbsup01

come on i wouldn't do that :bop: , but it does seem like the e-tracs are taking over the world lately.

yazoo
12-11-2009, 07:42 AM
This is my best find of the year I guess,best coin anyway.Was less than 3 inches deep.Was found in a old park that gave up nothing else to a friend and I that hunted it for a couple hours apiece.The only thing I could figure was everyone that passed over it before me thought it to be big iron or a pop can ,who knows. But it sure looks good in my stash. H.H. Yazoo

del
12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
wow :shocked04:stretcher: that is truely a beautiful coin Yazoo , first year of the Barber to. those are the kind of finds that make ya comming back for more. congrats

randy
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Tough to choose from among 4 different finds, but this will be a nice coin if I ever work the dirt off . Especially considering how copper usually comes out of the ground here. (I really don't want to use olive oil; I haven't liked the way its worked on my worthless coppers, any advice appreciated)

Epi-hunter
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Wow, nice coins! :shocked04: I can't compete with you people!

Even though it's not in the best shape, the 1854 half dime on the top is my favorite find of the year. When I found it, detecting at a park with Angel, I had to ask him what it was... had never seen one before lol

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/finds4july3.jpg

del
12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Tough to choose from among 4 different finds, but this will be a nice coin if I ever work the dirt off . Especially considering how copper usually comes out of the ground here. (I really don't want to use olive oil; I haven't liked the way its worked on my worthless coppers, any advice appreciated)

Randy that is an extremely nice half cent :shocked04: , for some reason we don't see to many of them up this way and the one i did find this year was toast :mad:congratulations , i'm not sure i would clean that one

Wow, nice coins! :shocked04: I can't compete with you people!

Even though it's not in the best shape, the 1854 half dime on the top is my favorite find of the year. When I found it, detecting at a park with Angel, I had to ask him what it was... had never seen one before lol

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/finds4july3.jpg

half dimes are very fun to find but tiny coins , they are usually very worn too but ya got yourself one with alot of detail Angie WTG thumbsup01. everyone i found i first though they were a button because of the size. congrats to you

coinnut
12-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Angie?? Is there a mint mark on that Half Dime?? If not, it may be a rare variety. Breen's lists one variety as Rare. It states Date overlaps base. It doesn't say this on the other more common varieties of the 1854, but it may be on those too. Also is the edge of the coin reeded?? Some other varieties were struck in Argentan (a kind of German silver). So it may be a rare one indeed lol Don't want to get your hopes up, since Breen's doesn't list every variety of the common ones, but it is worth finding a coin web site and sending some pictures in. Breen's lists it as (Breen # 3069) and also as V-1; Neil 3 (for the guy who discovered it - W.W. Neil). So that's all I have to say lol

angellionel
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
That half dime sure looks like the rare variety - base overlapping the date. :confused: See this example (http://www.wensy.com/detail.asp?id=2651356&bigpic=1#img) Angie. :)

That really is a beautiful coin. :drool: You had one great and fun detecting day. thumbsup01

Jason in Enid
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Well, I just got back into detecting at the end this year, so I haven't made many finds. Only 5 silver dimes, none of them older than a Merc. But I would have to say that the thing thing I've found this year is this....

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php

Great people, and lots of motivation to keep going back out!

del
12-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, I just got back into detecting at the end this year, so I haven't made many finds. Only 5 silver dimes, none of them older than a Merc. But I would have to say that the thing thing I've found this year is this....

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php

Great people, and lots of motivation to keep going back out!

i couldn't argue with that Jason , great place with some outstanding people to socialize with

yazoo
12-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Epi, That is a awesome quartet you featured there. H.H. Yazoo

Epi-hunter
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Epi, That is a awesome quartet you featured there. H.H. Yazoo

Thanks. It was an unforgettable day for me :)

There is no mint mark on the half dime, and it does appear to be the more rare version with the date too high. Too bad it's not in better condition :crying02:

coinnut
12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
There is no mint mark on the half dime, and it does appear to be the more rare version with the date too high. Too bad it's not in better condition :crying02:

Condition is less important for rare items. Not saying it doesn't play a part in the final price lol but try selling a 1954 Washington quarter with a scratch on it or try selling a 1877 Indian head penny with a scratch on it. Guess which one still sells??

John M
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
It is hard to try and figure out what my best find is.Depends on age, value,historical significance and so on.
So I will just post my favorite find,a 1902 Morgan Dollar.
This being that it was my first big Silver I dug.Every target in the past that rang up as big silver was always big disappointment.

coinnut
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Sweet Silver dollar John!! Not only was it really a silver dollar that time, but one in excellent shape thumbsup01

del
12-14-2009, 07:07 AM
wow :shocked04: John thats a real looker of a morgan ya got there , i have yet to get a dollar coin. congrats on that beauty .

Epi-hunter
12-14-2009, 11:36 AM
That is a beautiful morgan! :shocked04: thumbsup01

hoser
12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
WOW! Awesome finds made by all of you. I found nothing earth shattering other than a few pieces of silver. Well done to you all. thumbsup01

del
12-15-2009, 03:32 AM
WOW! Awesome finds made by all of you. I found nothing earth shattering other than a few pieces of silver. Well done to you all. thumbsup01

well Bill don't leave us in suspense man show us what YOU think is your best find this year . ;)

MNDigger
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Like Hoser I really did not find anything earth shattering this year. :-\ I did have a very good year for finds (for me at least) and I think my favorite coin was a 1910 Canada Dime. Though it is not really special it was a first for me! It was part of my dime hat-trick on my first hunt with the Etrac.

hoser
12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
OK Del you asked for it. Here is my 1933 50$ gol.......ugh never mind :rolleyes: Really the one find that I liked the most was my 1883 IH. That is the first pre 1900 coin I have found. Sure hope it ain't the last. :twirlingeyes:

del
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Like Hoser I really did not find anything earth shattering this year. :-\ I did have a very good year for finds (for me at least) and I think my favorite coin was a 1910 Canada Dime. Though it is not really special it was a first for me! It was part of my dime hat-trick on my first hunt with the Etrac.

Steve thats a great looking trifecta of dimes , and yes i like the canadian silver as well. congrats my friend.

OK Del you asked for it. Here is my 1933 50$ gol.......ugh never mind :rolleyes: Really the one find that I liked the most was my 1883 IH. That is the first pre 1900 coin I have found. Sure hope it ain't the last. :twirlingeyes:

hey congrats on that first pre-1900 coin and she's pretty , very nice full liberty on that one Bill . thanks for showing her.

angellionel
12-18-2009, 08:38 PM
The posted coins are some very beautiful finds made this year. thumbsup01

It's hard to say which find this year is my best, but I do like this one, a 1892-S Barber dime. It has a fairly low mintage of 990,710.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/myfinds/2009/June/BPS_1892S_barberdime_060709.jpg

del
12-20-2009, 08:19 AM
that is a great semi-key first year barber for sure Angel , superb coin to have in any collection huge congrats .

SpringTxDigger
12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
My best find to me was back in March. My best because It's my oldest. I broke the 1900 barrier in Feb. with an IH penny. But I found this 1893 V Nickel in March. It's not in the best of shape. I had to get it wet for it to even show any detail to the camera. It was indeed a thrill digging something that old.

Thanks for looking.

coinnut
12-26-2009, 06:23 PM
OK, Ok... I give in. The year is ALMOST over and I had a tough time deciding on which item was the best. It was a toss up between the Massachusetts Cent I use as my avatar, and a colonial (or post colonial) wax seal I really like. I picked the seal since I would probably never find one this detailed again. I have a better chance of finding another Mass coin than a seal this nice. But Dan, next time make it show your best 5 finds lol.

del
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
My best find to me was back in March. My best because It's my oldest. I broke the 1900 barrier in Feb. with an IH penny. But I found this 1893 V Nickel in March. It's not in the best of shape. I had to get it wet for it to even show any detail to the camera. It was indeed a thrill digging something that old.

Thanks for looking.

that coin is a great accomplishment SpringTxDigger anytime you break into another century it is quite a feat , something i'd be very proud of especially when its a first of something .Congrats

del
12-26-2009, 08:39 PM
OK, Ok... I give in. The year is ALMOST over and I had a tough time deciding on which item was the best. It was a toss up between the Massachusetts Cent I use as my avatar, and a colonial (or post colonial) wax seal I really like. I picked the seal since I would probably never find one this detailed again. I have a better chance of finding another Mass coin than a seal this nice. But Dan, next time make it show your best 5 finds lol.

George that is truely a unique find and after seeing it up close the detail that is cut into the glass is amazing :shocked04:stretcher: . yes sorry about only posting your best but i was curious to see that one item that everyone picked to be their best.

bmattioli
12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I have two favorites from this past year.. The first I wear everyday for luck and the second one almost stopped my heart:

del
12-26-2009, 10:21 PM
I have two favorites from this past year.. The first I wear everyday for luck and the second one almost stopped my heart:

those are great Bruce but for this thread i'm asking ya to chose one , which one is it going to be my friend and why :huh:

bmattioli
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Okay, Okay, man I despise rules LOL.. I'll have to go with the Silver Baseball Religious pendant. Baseball and the RedSox are a huge part of my life and it connects so.... Everyone's posts are great and more success to all in 2010!

del
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Okay, Okay, man I despise rules LOL.. I'll have to go with the Silver Baseball Religious pendant. Baseball and the RedSox are a huge part of my life so.... Everyone's post are great and more success to all in 2010!

Bruce i can see why they would be two very hard items to chose from both are very sweet finds but i think you made the right one my friend . congrats on the baseball religious medallion thumbsup01

lol lol sorry to make ya chose Bruce but in the imortal words of Red Foreman its about the rules and without the rules we might as well be up in the trees flinging crap at each other like monkeys lol lol

Dan

Epi-hunter
12-27-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for looking.

Not in the best of shape, but a really nice find. I too love to find coins that break the 1900 barrier, as rare as they are.... it is the feeling of digging up something that was dropped so long ago, and knowing you were the next person to handle it.

Epi-hunter
12-27-2009, 05:40 PM

That is fantastic George. I love it!

Epi-hunter
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Okay, Okay, man I despise rules LOL.. I'll have to go with the Silver Baseball Religious pendant. Baseball and the RedSox are a huge part of my life and it connects so.... Everyone's posts are great and more success to all in 2010!

Two fantastic finds... would be almost impossible to pick. I want to find something that means enough to me to wear it every day. I hope 2010 is as good to you!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-28-2009, 11:12 AM
boy oh boy you drive a hard bargain.after eenie meenie miny moeing for the last 10 mins :bangahead01: :twirlingeyes: over my 1827 LC, rev war pewter USA button and the civil war buckle :confused:
i guess this is my choice.....drum roll please... rofl
my civil war union officers sword belt eagle buckle

del
12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
boy oh boy you drive a hard bargain.after eenie meenie miny moeing for the last 10 mins :bangahead01: :twirlingeyes: over my 1827 LC, rev war pewter USA button and the civil war buckle :confused:
i guess this is my choice.....drum roll please... rofl
my civil war union officers sword belt eagle buckle

only ten minutes :confused: would of taken me alot longer :yes: ;) lol lol, both the relics are top notch in my book Dave very cool finds

leslie(nova scotia)
12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....some great finds and quite the variety too boot. Hope everyone does as well this forthcoming year!

del
12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
well with the 2009 season about officially over i can post my best find , and my best would have to be a coin find as i didn't really find any spectacular relics this year . there were about 3 or 4 really great coins to chose from to :confused: :-\
1. 1787 machin mills counterfiet copper
2. 1787 fugio ( club ray variety)
3. 1866 two cent piece ( in gorgeous condition)
and a couple of Connecticut coppers too.

but it would have to go to the very last coin i found this year , because of the rareity and condition . the pictures don't really do this coin justice

1785 Nova Constellatio

SpringTxDigger
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Wow some really great finds here. I'm excited to see what this year gives up!