PDA

View Full Version : tesoro compadre

BOWSER
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
i have been reading about the compadre and i haven't found too many bad reviews about them, they seem to be a featureless beep and dig unit that people have great sucess with. for the price i am tempted to give one a try.what say you.

Cheap Thrills
03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Why not ? A great little lightweight spare with a lifetime guarantee .A killer on tiny stuff in a tot lot .

z118
06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade from my BH Tracker IV in the tot lots. It is and it isn't. It's certainly more sensitive than the Tracker, but the 5 coil makes for some slow, slow going. There are certainly things that the Compadre will hit on that my Tracker won't, but I can only cover ground half as fast. For that reason, I'm usually stick with the Tracker when hunting tot lots.

BOWSER
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM
after watchin a lot of people detect,i think that your pace and speed of walking has a very definite effect on the number of finds you recover.If you use a small coil you can recover several finds in a small space,however i have been known to wander around a football field with a 4x6 and still find stuff.I have an ace 150 that i absoulutely can't stand and would replace it with a compadre.

Vito
10-15-2011, 09:09 AM
after watchin a lot of people detect,i think that your pace and speed of walking has a very definite effect on the number of finds you recover.If you use a small coil you can recover several finds in a small space,however i have been known to wander around a football field with a 4x6 and still find stuff.I have an ace 150 that i absoulutely can't stand and would replace it with a compadre.

Ehmm, Jim, you never mentioned you changed to the dark side... :shocked04:

BOWSER
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I won the ace in a contest,my grandchildren play with it.

Vito
10-20-2011, 03:11 PM
You call it playing. But the observer calls it training. lol

Calg
01-13-2013, 10:54 AM
I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade from my BH Tracker IV in the tot lots. It is and it isn't. It's certainly more sensitive than the Tracker, but the 5 coil makes for some slow, slow going. There are certainly things that the Compadre will hit on that my Tracker won't, but I can only cover ground half as fast. For that reason, I'm usually stick with the Tracker when hunting tot lots.
It's ironic, that with todays high dollar detectors, the best inland ring collection I ever saw, was from a guy in Colorado found with a BH Tracker IV. The most tot lot gold I ever saw found was a guy from Arkansas using a Compadre. I mean thousands of dollars.

z118
01-14-2013, 09:05 AM
It's ironic, that with todays high dollar detectors, the best inland ring collection I ever saw, was from a guy in Colorado found with a BH Tracker IV. The most tot lot gold I ever saw found was a guy from Arkansas using a Compadre. I mean thousands of dollars.

Indeed. I never use my Etrac or my Sov in tot lots since they go nuts within 3 feet of metal poles and equipment. With the Tracker I can get within 6 or so and with the Compadre I can do even better than that. High end detectors in tot lots are just overkill and even counter productive, in my opinion anyway.

BOWSER
12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
the older i get the slower i walk anyway:cheesysmile:

KennyD
02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
i have been reading about the compadre and i haven't found too many bad reviews about them, they seem to be a featureless beep and dig unit that people have great sucess with. for the price i am tempted to give one a try.what say you.
I curently own and love my GTI 1500. Its got more bells and whistles than one could hope for.
BUT, I am going the exact opposite direction and buying a Compadre. Mostly because its a smokin little machine and I love the total simplicity of it. I really cant wait to get it!!
I have heard very high levels of praise for this little brute. And very little negative.
I would say go for it Bowser...

Tom
02-07-2014, 08:24 AM
but the 5 coil makes for some slow, slow going.

You can get one with an 8" coil I believe!

KennyD
02-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Yep Tom, you are correct. Thats the one I'm getting.... the 8" coil version.

Longhair
02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
IMO if you dig everything you'll find more. That's about it. Without the sophisticated discrimination capabilities or numerical display to make you think something isn't worth the bother you will dig more.

giant056
02-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Jim I'm also thinking about getting a lightweight detector myself and I always did good with the old beep and dig detectors, something like the Tesoro would be awesome in a woods where weight makes a big difference in your endurance. Them hills, logs, brush and briars will wear you out :)

KennyD
02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Getting rid of my my Ace 150, (giving it to my daughter), and gettin' a Compadre. Cant wait till spring!

BTW.... I dont understand why the Tesoro forums are so dead here...... Hmmm.. They're really active at another forum site.

coinnut
02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Tesoro, just like Deus, Blisstool, etc... take a long time to establish on a forum. They are not generally the first names that come to mind even if they are great detectors. Usually the more people post and include videos, the more people join that particular forum. Another way forums load up, is if some other forum ticks off the members :lol:

KennyD
02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
IMO if you dig everything you'll find more. That's about it. Without the sophisticated discrimination capabilities or numerical display to make you think something isn't worth the bother you will dig more.
From what Ive learned about the Compadre and its ED-180 circuitry, its has fantastic target seperation and discrimination. Thats probably the Compadre's biggest selling points.

bsibiski
08-01-2015, 10:35 PM

I have 2 machines, a BH SS2 and a Compadre. I first bought the SS2 but didn't have 2 9v batteries so I bought them about a week later. During that week I was reading blogs about the Compadre. All the blogs I read gave very positive ratings so I bought a Compadre. I am so glad I did. That machine seems simple to learn and it comes with a lifetime warranty for the original buyer. I am very impressed with the Compadre and plan to use the SS2 as a backup machine. Plus the price of the Compadre is very reasonable. Just my 2cents Bowser, Bill in South Jersey