PDA

View Full Version : Help finding Gold w/ the SE

hockeyguy
10-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Not many deep coins at my local hunting spot...a schoolyard closed a few years back. I would like to switch gears and try to find some gold w/o digging everything and avoiding as many pulltabs as possible. I like ferrous sounds but would move on if someone has a valid technique.

I appreciate any guidance as usual.

HH

Aaron

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I much prefer ferrous sounds on the SE too, but primarily when looking for silver and the high tones. When seeking out the lower and mid-tones, you might be better off to switch to conductive.

The SE is not great with gold. Do you have the Pro coil or the original one?

hockeyguy
10-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Stock coil with several other smaller coils. Conductive is fine if it will give me an edge. I have seen digital charts for gold readings, but there are so many I sure would like to refine a technique.

With the price of gold, it is certainly worth attempting to find it in parks and schoolyards.

Not sure if you have seen this chart, but it is extensive.

I used to think, dig all nickel signals, however, it is much more difficult that that.

It is interesting and notable that before I had the SE, my machine had no ID or depth guage. Although can operate with more reassurance that I am digging something desired with more probability, I certainly dig far lees jewelry. Even a very light, nasty 10k bracelet I found a few years agao brought $26. I am certain that we all pass up gold on a regular basis.

Reminds me of the old saying he steps over dollar bills to pick up pennies

Aaron

angellionel
10-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I used Angie's SE for a short time, and I ended up loving the machine. Unfortunately, I didn't do much in the way of hunting for gold with it, nor did I try ferrous mode. I prefer the conductive setting myself. I do know that whenever the SE did hit on a nickel, I had high confidence that it was a nickel, so it should apply to some of those gold rings that fall within that range.