PDA

View Full Version : Making a coin display

steve in so az
03-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Some years back I saw a display of all coins ( except gold) minted during the 20th century for sale. It wasn't a big price but I thought I had a bunch in the safe deposit already. So I looked and came up with all but about 3-4 of them. So why not use my dug coins - so much more personal. So here is my display.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/Displays/complete1900scoins.jpg

And here's a close up of the top & bottom.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/Displays/tophalf.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/Displays/bottomhalf.jpg

The bottom three I didn't dig - I dug a Liberty dollar like the left hand one but it was the previous century. And the top right hand coin I didn't dig. Still waiting to replace them :)

As you go along, keep a collection of dug examples and put a similar display together. It's so much better than keeping them in a box somewhere plus every time you see the display you can relive it and get you energized to go out again.
Steve in so az

Carver
03-13-2011, 07:26 PM
That's a very nice display thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 All my old coins are thrown in baggies and put in a lock box,,,,I know,,,,I need to build a display case :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: :crying02:

RobW
03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm looking at doing something similar...but different...did you buy the box or build it? what did you use to mount the coins?

steve in so az
03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Rob - Bought an inexpensive pic frame at WalMart, put red felt on it, hot glue gun to keep the coins on. I use hot glue for most displays because it's easy, durable and can be taken off with heat again. Steve

coinnut
03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Nice job on the frame and arrangement :clapping: Some of that felt may have sulphur in it and may tarnish them beauties...so keep an eye on them. I believe they sell coin holders that are just round like the coin themselves (not a big slab), so you could just enlarge the hole a bit and put them snap ring holders over the coins. Great idea on showcasing some of the different ones in your collection.

steve in so az
03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks coinnut - I'll keep an eye on them, Steve

leslie(nova scotia)
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....nice looking way to display those special finds. Sum nice uns youz! :clapping: :clapping:

RobW
03-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Those are some interesting ideas. Don't know about putting hot glue on the coin directly :shocked04:. I think taking Geoge's idea of a snap tight, then hot gluing that might be best.

steve in so az
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Well I figure a coin that has been in the ground a long time till I dug it won't be harmed by hot glue. Plus the display suffers when a bunch of plastic holders are in the way. That's my story & I'm sticking to it :) steve

exsquid
03-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Like the display thumbsup01 ...thanks for sharing the idea...Been wondering how to do something like that and that looks nice... good job..
Thanks,

odave
03-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice display case thumbsup01 Looks great thumbsup01 thumbsup01

RobW
03-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Well I figure a coin that has been in the ground a long time till I dug it won't be harmed by hot glue. Plus the display suffers when a bunch of plastic holders are in the way. That's my story & I'm sticking to it :) steve

I love your idea. I could see doing that for some displays, I just have some coin finds that are special to me :smitten: that I would like to display in my office, and I'm cheap and don't want to pay some professional framer $100s to do it for me,

steve in so az
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Rob - I have about a dozen displays in my house - made them all. Half are Wal Mart frames and half are bigger lumber. Here's a RR one - just needed a table saw to do it. Steve

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/steveinsoaz/Railroad/SPRRdisplay.jpg

coinnut
03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Dated railroad tie nails lol I used to walk the track as a kid and pull them out :shocked01: From the thirties to back in the late teens . Never found the older ones yet. Nice job on the display!!

steve in so az
03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Coinnut - yeah , the old days of walking the tracks ! I pulled most of these from ties, fence posts or dumps. steve