PDA

View Full Version : An interesting Saturday

RobW
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Last week was a troubling week. As a lawyer, other people's problems become yours. I had had enough and was hoping to loose my frustration with the world in the white noise of my headphones and meet up with a friend or two.

I was invited to join DEL and COINNUT on a hunt on Saturday. I was excited to go, but due to their marathon hunting abilities (they were going to be out hunting from 6:30am to 7:30pm) I was unable to go because my wife required my precense at another function. But I still was able to get out awhile.

There is still snow covering the areas I had scouted out over winter, and even the parks were covered still. But the curbs were clear! I headed off down a street in town where they are scheduled to dig up and expand the roads. I was in front of a house that the curb had already been destroyed. I heard some yelling, I looked around saw no one, went back to it, then more yelling, I then noticed a man leaning out of a second story window throwing his arms all around. He asked what I was doing and I told him. He then incorrctly informed me that it was his property and I needed to get out of there. I didn't want to agrue, afterall, I'm trying to relax, and besides....I was done in that area anyway...so I moved on...I then noticed him come out of his house and go running to the neighbor's. I just kept on doing what I was doing, keeping an eye out for when the police would come...They didn't. I finished up the street and was walking back to my car..he was waiting outside as I passed... and yelled..yeah that's right keep on walking. Only ended up with a bit of clad.

So I moved on. Not much available, to go to, so I hit our Town green ...again.... Last year they had removed 3 feet....and then filled it back in , they are using it as a staging area for road construction. Right now there is a huge pile of dirt/rubble standing about 15ft high. I didn't figure on finding anything, I've beeen over and over it. While there a man walked up to me with a detector in hand walked up to me...he said he just bought it and asked me how to use it...I looked down at it...Wal-Mart special...I told him I wasn't familiar with it, but made a reasonable guess at it. I talked to him a bit about the hobby and he got in his car and left. Not 2 min later had a nice 12-47 hit right on the crest of the pile. I bent down to dig...and BAM! a nice LArge Cent. I was motivated now...but nothing turned up, I was approached by a mother and 10-12yr old kid who asked if I was the guy who had the display in the library/museum last year, I said that it was me, they said they enjoyed it and asked if I had found anything that day. I said that I had and I pulled out the Large Cent, I told them what it was, and I asked the kid if he wanted to see it and I put it into his hand...his eye's just lit up....it really made my day to see that.

I moved down the street a bit and found a 1937 wheat, and while doing my thing, next thing I know...someone is standing next to me eating a burger....it was John (MIDAS) our Whte's Detector Dealer/Sponsor....he was in my neck of the woods working, out on lunch and saw me and stopped by...we chatted awhile. It was good to see him.

So it became an eventful day, and It was good to get out.

The Large Cent was a bit toasty as you can see, but I am using MY cleaning method...and not sandpaper... lol...have managed to get a date of 1829.

angellionel
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Nice old cent Rob! Glad to see you got out and scored with an oldie. thumbsup01

del
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
hey nice copper Rob , you didn't miss much saturday as you just did better than George and i . lol lol the detecting offer still stands and this weekend were going more local so you might be able to come back home at a reasonable hour :shocked04: :cheering: lol lol

Cheap Thrills
03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Nice going Rob. I'm glad you were able to make a nice find and meet the nice lady and her son .Things like that tend
to pull one out of a deep funk . :yes: thumbsup01 I've run into a few of those class A jerks there seems to be no shortage of them . lol

Salty Dog
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Yep! Rob,lots of people feel like the patch of grass between the sidewalk and curb belongs to them :ticked:,I find that the people that gripe about what we do,do not tect,nor have seen anybody doing it either... you did right,by just leaving him to rant by himself lol.Glad the dirt pile worked out for you thumbsup01

leslie(nova scotia)
03-14-2011, 03:53 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....takes all kinds fur shore youz. Nice scoff o nthe large cent! <;)

coinnut
03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Nice hunt Rob. That copper is toast, but nicer than the ones we didn't find lol Being in the legal profession...I believe someone said there is a law in the Commonwealth that says something like...Anyone who stops someone from doing something that is legal in the state can be arrested themselves?? Like stopping someone from riding their bike in the street or walking there dog, etc... I heard about it from a guy who said he researched it. :dontknow: Might be good to carry around a copy in case you don't want to be that accomodating next time lol

Carver
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Great find on the Large!!!!! Too bad you had to put up with an idiot :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

russellt
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
1829... thats the same year robert e lee graduated from west point with 0 demerits i might addd . te only cadet to do so until this day ... thats a nice old large copper /... awesome finds