PDA

View Full Version : Research

hoser
12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
OOOKKEE DOOKIE then. Now that mother nature hasmade herseft present, what are some of the research md projuects you have in mind for the coming year? Mine is to find the EXACT!! location of the house of ill repute here. I have it down to a smaller area but that still has to be knocked down even more.

Jason in Enid
12-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Well, apparently I have to re-do most of my research. I can not find any of my notes that I made over weeks and weeks spent in the library. I think they fell victim to my wife's organizing of my stuff while I was in the sandbox.

At least I remember where most of the info came from. I just have to hope that the sources are still there, and haven't walked away. I know one that has dissapeared, but luckily I made digital pics of THAT, and they are still on my computer.

Epi-hunter
12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Good question, since I really need to do some work in this area.

For me there really isn't anything specific, other than finding some old parks in the area. Also, I need to get up the courage to ask permission for private properties here. I'm tired of getting no's and after awhile I just stopped. Finding the properties isn't hard, but the people tend to be very suspicious, or so I have found, compared to in Iowa where it seemed like everyone said yes. I need to come up with something more creative.

angellionel
12-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Early in the year I had been researching two particular areas found down my way, so I may have to catch up with that. There is the potential for old picnic grounds found at one of the locations, which has now been reclaimed by nature. The other has to do with cellar holes. :grin:

I hope you are able to nail that one location down, Bill. It sounds like a potentially productive one. :yes:

Jason in Enid
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Epi, do you have the website and log-in for the Sanborn maps website? You can pull up old maps of your area, and I was SHOCKED at how many towns were listed for my state. Date from 1890 (most OK towns were started on or after 1890) to the 30's or 40's. You can see all the old parks, residential areas, groves, etc.

coinnut
12-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Early in the year I had been researching two particular areas found down my way, so I may have to catch up with that. There is the potential for old picnic grounds found at one of the locations, which has now been reclaimed by nature. The other has to do with cellar holes. :grin:

Hey, stay away from our cellar holes :poke: :bop: :beatdown: ;)

angellionel
12-12-2009, 03:07 PM

lol lol

It's been a while since I last hunted at that location. I got lost the last time I was there two year ago. :shocked04:stretcher: I need a good GPS. :grin:

RickO
12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Researching tales of treasure in my area... lots of tales, not sure how much treasure lol but I will be looking. RickO

del
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM

lol lol

It's been a while since I last hunted at that location. I got lost the last time I was there two year ago. :shocked04:stretcher: I need a good GPS. :grin:

sorry about that Angel , George is like a yard possesive pitbull when it comes to any cellar hole , i usually chain him up to the nearest tree when we find a good spot to keep the others out of the area but one of these days i'm afraid he'll get ahold of someone and give'em rabies. :yes: ;)

coinnut
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
sorry about that Angel , George is like a yard possesive pitbull when it comes to any cellar hole , i usually chain him up to the nearest tree when we find a good spot to keep the others out of the area but one of these days i'm afraid he'll get ahold of someone and give'em rabies. :yes: ;)

I knew it was a bad idea when mommy let's you type rofl

Krom
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
It's probably shut down by now, Bill. Buy Patty a nice Christmas present instead. thumbsup01

K, yous'... jus' playin'. I gotta be me. rofl

Snowy
12-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm working on several things. I have a long list of places to research and I'll hop from one to another when I seem to come to a dead end. Then, when I revisit my research on an area I'll strike on something new.

Perhaps I should stick to one area to research, but I tend to seek my chances of detecting such areas while I'm researching.

There's just too much area around here to cover, and when that historian calls us with leads and permission, or even seeking help, we drop it all and go.

There's a public park somewhere with some severe historic significance, and I plan on hitting that early some Sunday morning in the spring. Public area, no detecting laws... but it could be easy to get kicked out.

John M
12-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Winter time for me is time to try and map out some new areas to detect in the coming Spring.I also go through some of my past finds and clean them up and possibly make a few display boxes for them.The down time allows me the time to try and do research on some particular items.To me recovering an item is only the beginning,finding out what it is and the age of the find makes it all complete.No find is insignificant in preserving the past.