PDA

View Full Version : CIVIL WAR UNION EAGLE SWORD BELT BUCKLE

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-12-2009, 06:04 PM
sniffy picked me up at 7am and we headed up to a couple holes in his neck of the woods.was digging big iron pieces.my fourth target read half dollar at 4 inches.i dug a square nail and was saying it's gonna be one of them iron days :bangahead01: then a flat piece of rusty iron came out of the hole.scanned the hole again and figuring there was still more iron in the hole i was digging carelessly when this buckle popped out :shocked04:.i nicked it with my shovel.still more iron was in the hole and a brass piece too.so much stuff in one hole and was not expecting this find that's for sure.
sniffy got skunked.my only other decent find was the flat button.no coins,no coppers but would really like to know if this is a union civil war eagle belt plate? any idea on the value would be appreciated too.
thanks all and have a great weekend!
dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-12-2009, 06:07 PM
more pics

coinnut
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh Dave....It's not real, just send it over lol rofl What a great buckle. I don't know much about them, but I know enough to say that is a real real nice one. It even looks like it had something on either side of that eagle. Maybe laurel? If there was some sort of stamped brass there, you better be able to locate that hole again :yes: If that is a complete one, it's a beaut!!! Umm. Dave, even your White's won't call a nail a half dollar... :rolleyes: ;) Be careful next time :bangahead01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
i just found out what it is.on a civil war forum i belong to.the guy said it's a sword plate.it had stamped silver applied.most dug buckles don't have the thin stamped silver left.i'm missing the keeper portion he said too.the other brass part that hooks into main plate.he said if ya find it.will have the same # stamped on that portion too.

coinnut
12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Get back to that hole and get the rest :poke: Finish the job will ya? :tongue: Wow what a nice piece when it was brand new.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Get back to that hole and get the rest :poke: Finish the job will ya? :tongue: Wow what a nice piece when it was brand new.

there's alot of big junk around this hole.maybe in the spring we can do a more thorough job with no snow to contend with :ticked:

OkieDigger
12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Very sweet!

Krom
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
That's the ultimate in relic digs in my book, HMN.
We don't get them rightous digs up here in Maine, that's for sure!
Cudos to the Sniffer! ;)

John M
12-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Very nice recovery.The wreath portion may be around the general area you found the plate,not sure about the keeper as it was attached to the other side of the belt.All in all it is a great find.

cab
12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
WOW what a beauty check on civilwar relicman there are a few varieties of that buckle congrats nice dig!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-13-2009, 10:55 AM
WOW what a beauty check on civilwar relicman there are a few varieties of that buckle congrats nice dig!

ok chris thanks dude!

RickO
12-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Incredible find... very nice ... hope you can find the silver parts... would be really nice. RickO

del
12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
great plate Dave thumbsup01 , Coinnut and i were talking about the silver laurel that went around the eagle and those must have been glued on or somekind of brazing but either way both techniques probably didn't hold it on to well as they were mass produced and it was only a matter of time that the silver would of started to peel back . since it was a valueable metal it would of been smart to just take it off at that point so i bet very very few have the silver on them , would like to see ya find the keeper part to make it whole . its a fantastic piece and in great shape too.congrats again man.

by the way yours looks like the 621 pattern
http://www.relicman.com/plates/zArchivePlateFedGovSword1851Pat621.htm

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
great plate Dave thumbsup01 , Coinnut and i were talking about the silver laurel that went around the eagle and those must have been glued on or somekind of brazing but either way both techniques probably didn't hold it on to well as they were mass produced and it was only a matter of time that the silver would of started to peel back . since it was a valueable metal it would of been smart to just take it off at that point so i bet very very few have the silver on them , would like to see ya find the keeper part to make it whole . its a fantastic piece and in great shape too.congrats again man.

awesome dan thanks for the info and link! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-18-2009, 11:10 PM
[quote=del;5852]

[/quote
dan sniffy has a lead on the name of family that lived at this site.he's gonna try to see if this man was in the war etc.may be cool to place a name with the buckle thumbsup01

MNDigger
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I must have missed this one. :confused: WTG on the sweet CW find!

woodwizard
12-19-2009, 08:00 PM
real nice finds I agree remember that spot and come warmer weather hit again and search that whole area slowly-digging everything as not to miss some thing good

joedirt
12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Very nice buckle I found one also last summer 2012 on Long Island New York it was on a small farm near a barn it was the last thing I expected to turn up its an exiting relic to find