PDA

View Full Version : Silver #13 for the year is SWEET!!!

Carver
03-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi all!
Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I posted a topic about an old fairgrounds that I have permission to hunt. I am very good friends with the guy that owns it and currently am building cabinets and doing all the trim in some new apartments for him. This complex sits right on the old fairgrounds that was used from about 1880 to roughly the 1930s I think.
Houses and apartments now sit on roughly 2/3rds of the old grounds,,but this place is still huge. The oval track was about a half mile long. They used to race trotter horses there. The owner told me when he bought the ground in the early 70s and started to level the banked corners of the track down,,,a lot of guys detected it and he said they found lots of coins including many silver dollars. :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: What is left now is an open farm field , currently chisel plowed awaiting seeding.
The field has been nothing but a muddy mess the whole time I've been working at the apartments,,until today I looked out and it looked detectable!!! As luck would have it ,,I had the M6 in the truck as I was going to a spot after work,,,which I did,,,that's another story :grin: :grin: :grin:
Anyway,,,about break time I thought I would try and swing out in back of the apartments where they took some dirt out to let the water drain quickly. I was just bouncing around trying to get a decent signal,,,no rhyme or reason to what I was doing. Then I got a bouncy , scratchy,,,dollar signal at 4 I dug a plug,,,popped it out and it broke into chunks,,,In one of the chunks I saw a silvery thing looking back at me and saw a BIG reeded edge :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: I thought NO WAY!!! Someone in the 70s missed a nice 1883 O Morgan dollar!!! <: <: <: <: Now I was pumped!!!!! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02 I heard all the stories about guys finding a lot of silver there,,,now I know they are true!!!
Well,,,,hard as it was to do,,,I had to get back to work :ticked: :ticked: :ticked: :ticked: :ticked:
But, believe me,,,,I will be back very soon!!!! I'm pretty sure I will be the only with permission 8) 8) 8)
This is still a huge field,,,,,wish I had a few of you guys a little closer,,,,I know there's gotta be a bunch of coins still there!!!! This is only the second silver dollar I've found,,,both Morgans. I hope to find more there!!!!
#13 silver coin for the year was definitely a lucky one!!!!!!!! :happydance01: :happydance01: happydance02 happydance02 <: <: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy:

Thanks for looking folks!!
Dan

Woody420
03-16-2011, 07:20 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

whammy
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
That is one awesome coin. A BIG congratulations to you, and I hope you find a bunch more. :clapping:

jkress
03-16-2011, 08:21 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
The holy grail of silver coins! <: I can only imagine your excitement when you caught first glimpse of that baby.
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun there. I'm looking forward to your finds.
A great big silver dollar congrats to you Dan. :clapping:

zrickkid
03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Holy crup! what a nice coin. Hope you find more!! :angelic:

milco
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice! Congrats on that one and hope you find a lot more silver there, sounds like a lot of potential!!

odave
03-16-2011, 11:06 PM
:omg: Congratulations My Friend !! :clapping: happydance02 :happydance01: :happydance01: happydance02 :clapping:
Outstanding Find Dan ..Get back out there :grin:!!
Hope You find a lot more Silver there Dan thumbsup01 thumbsup01
I'll bet that Baby sounded great in the headphones thumbsup01 thumbsup01

giant056
03-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Awesome score on your second Morgan Carver thumbsup01 I would like to find another myself, I'm still on #1.

leslie(nova scotia)
03-17-2011, 05:07 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....man that is one sweet hunk of silver youz! Big congrats on a spendid find! <;)

exsquid
03-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Dan, Congrats on the BIG silver...What a beaut of a coin.... I am so excited for you and the excitement of knowing that the spot can yield even more quality goodies for you. Looking foward to seeing pics of each one you find!!

rsarge1
03-17-2011, 08:24 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS, shes a beauty tha definately would get the heart pumping wtg. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

RobW
03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
:envious: :envious: :envious:
I've been detecting for more than 2 decades, and I have still not found one of those beauties
Congrats on a great find :clapping: :clapping:

Cheap Thrills
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
What a beauty big congrats !! :clapping: thumbsup01 thumbsup01I've only found one in 19yrs. but everytime I think about it I relive the thrill of that moment . :smitten:

DaleGM
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
just like your old school site that you pulled all that silver from Dan <: <: hit that site again before they cover up for the next century of detectorist , AWESOME COIN DAN!! :peace: :peace:

Salty Dog
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Super recovery Dan,I remember finding my first morgan,it took a week to get rid of the smile on my face lol ,I hope that place gives up lots of them before you are done...I put down a laminate floor in a basement remodel today,the temp was in the 60's here,sure was hard to work inside :hairpulling: ,Can't wait to see your next adventure there,keep them coming,Dave

JTGOLD
03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
every thing I was going to say was already said but congrats on the big silver Dan.

pipster
03-17-2011, 06:32 PM
WOW no that is some good looking silver. congrats

Kimster
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
It doesn't get much better than that, Dan!

Toadman
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Awesome BIG silver dude !!! ya gotta love it ! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02

coinnut
03-17-2011, 07:00 PM
What a great coin. If they missed that, think of all the dimes and quarters they missed. :shocked04:

Carver
03-18-2011, 07:07 AM
What a great coin. If they missed that, think of all the dimes and quarters they missed. :shocked04:

That's exactly what I was thinking George!!! When I went out to hunt the other day, I was hoping for a silver dime,,,MAYBE a qtr. I've got to think there's a ton more silver and other oldies there yet :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Ill Digger
03-18-2011, 11:33 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking George!!!
Great minds think alike!! My thoughts exactly ! There's got to be more! :yes: thumbsup01
Thats a AWESOME find!! A coin hunting dream come true!! :daydream: :smitten: :drool:
I don't know what else to say.....outstanding!! :clapping:
Congrats :grin:

Napa Steve
03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Awesome silver Dan, that baby is in beautiful shape, I know that some states have more silver than other's but you sure pull out some dandy one's concidering your not way back East, good job buddy and Im glad to see your feeling better and back to work.

cliffy
03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Wooho! That's a nice strong find! Sure would of like to hear that one on my whites!
Congrats! :peace:

Carver
03-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks for all the great replies everyone!!! I know there's gotta be plenty more oldies there. Will you keep you all posted!! Going back today,,,rain is coming in for the next few days..

pulltabsteve
03-19-2011, 07:25 AM
DAN!!! WTG buddy. I could just imagine the look on your face when you dug that beauty up. <: :happydance01: happydance02 |:confused:) :clapping:

Evan/tn
03-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow what a sweet find Dan <: <:
Ya just never know till you get out there and dig,what your going to find.
That silver dollar looks to be in great shape,congrats thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Snickerdoodle
03-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Sweet looking SILVER Carver :omg:

milco
03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Absolutely AWESOME.......Big time congrats on the monster silver!