PDA

View Full Version : Minelab sold and moving production to Malaysia??

xzlr8n
12-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I was reading a thread and I am also wondering if Minelab has sold out:huh: Wondering if anyone here has heard of this??

Here is the quote -

While talking to a dealer yesterday, we were talking about our favorite model, the E-Trac. Anyway, he was telling me how Minelab sold out to another recently ( Codan), have lost many of thier top personell, closed down all thier manufacturing facilties and opened up a manufacturer in Malaysia. He hasn't seen any that are marked form the new location, but apparently dealers are having trouble getting new shipments.
Apparently the change in ownership is also the reason model names are changing too. Such as Xterra 70 is now 705, 50 is 505, 30 is 305 etc.

So... has anyone here gotten an E-Trac or any other model recently that says made in Malaysia or anywhere else in Asia? - Jason in Enid

Replys to this post seem to support this sale...

angellionel
12-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Jason did share that info with us here too. We have been discussing it on this thread (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.0). :)

I am hoping the move to Malaysia won't have a negative effect on the quality of the product line. Only time will tell though.

woodwizard
12-13-2009, 12:42 PM
just my opinion but when any company moves to another country the quality it always effected regaurdless of its product.think anytime a company sells out its employees and its country they should be boycotted.maytag it a prime example of this they closed up and moved to another country putting a whole town out of work as everybody in that town was employed by them.same thing happened it Akron,Ohio-the tire industry left putting thousands out of work.greed is the bottom line-just how much money do these people think they need-they can't take it with 'em.personally I hope they fail and lose everything-greed is exactly whats killing this once great and powerful country.

Epi-hunter
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
just my opinion but when any company moves to another country the quality it always effected regaurdless of its product.think anytime a company sells out its employees and its country they should be boycotted.maytag it a prime example of this they closed up and moved to another country putting a whole town out of work as everybody in that town was employed by them.same thing happened it Akron,Ohio-the tire industry left putting thousands out of work.greed is the bottom line-just how much money do these people think they need-they can't take it with 'em.personally I hope they fail and lose everything-greed is exactly whats killing this once great and powerful country.

I am very familiar with the Maytag closing. It used to be in Newton, Iowa... about 40 miles from where I lived the last 25 years. I had some good friends who were from there, and their families lost their houses. The real estate market completely tanked, as everyone had to move.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/apr/23/news/chi-ap-ia-obama-newton

hoser
12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
This would be a shame if the Minelab quality suffered because of this move. I have been in manufacturing industry for a very long time and I too have seen problems when a company moves their setup somewhere overseas. And I was planning on getting an ETrac next year too. Knowing Minelabs reputation I'm gonna be positive and say that there may be a SHORT time things will be in an uproar but will straighten out fairly quickly. :yes:

RickO
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
After many years in business, I can tell you, there will be problems, at least initially, with a startup in a foreign country. I have seen it over and over and over again. NEVER have I seen an offshore move accomplished without product quality issues. Beware. RickO

SpringTxDigger
12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm ordering my E-Trac next week. I guess time will tell. I hope all goes well.