PDA

View Full Version : Rare Oldie from the sand

SeabeeRon
03-18-2011, 03:11 PM
The coin itself is not that rare, just that it came from this particular beach. It is detected regularly and by many different detectorists. It was a dry sand find with the MXT and I thought it was going to be yet another bottle cap! :rolleyes: I gave it a 24 hour bath in vinegar and you can see the results.

RobW
03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm amazed you are finding that on a beach...I would thought it would be under FEET of sand.

del
03-18-2011, 03:26 PM
decent looking v-nickle Ron , it is unusual to find that in the dry sand .was it very deep at all ??

coinnut
03-18-2011, 05:15 PM
It held up nicely for being in the sand. A rare enough find just about anywhere lol Nice V.

Cheap Thrills
03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
It held up nicely for being in the sand. A rare enough find just about anywhere lol Nice V.

Ditto ,Congratulations Ron . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
It was only 4- 5 down. I have a theory on how it got there. About 18 months ago they did a remodel to one of the attractions at our 100+ Boardwalk Amusement area. They dug under the boardwalk and down about 18'! There was a huge mountain of sand there on the main beach for good long time!! :drool: Several of us would hit it daily when the dozer wasn't working and pushing sand around. Numerous oldies came out of there, I got a Barber Half and some Barber dimes myself, plus IH's and another V. Saw at least one Peace Dollar come out, heard some Seateds were found, but no elusive gold coins! :daydream: Anyhow, we had some high tides and large swells so some sand(and coins?!?) got pulled out. I think this winters swell and storms just stirred things up and re-deposited this particular coin. :thinkingabout: This is one reason I keep going back to this beach over and over, plus in the Spring & Summer it is &quot:beerbuddy:ank Vault for clad and jewelry!! 8) Thanks for the looks guys!

RobW
03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Oh, that makes sense on how it got there for you to find

CyberSage
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
That's a very nice V Ron. That must have been a great feeling to dig this one up. Your theory on the construction sounds like it could be what happened. Might be worthwhile to go back and hunt the area some more. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jack

rsarge1
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
very nice find wtg

jkress
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Very nice looking V Ron. :clapping:
Wow... I can only imagine all the goodies in that pile of sand from under the board walk. :daydream:
I can certainly see why you like to revisit the beach on a regular basis. :yes:
Congrats. Good luck on the gold coin. thumbsup01

odave
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats on the V Ron thumbsup01 thumbsup01..sweet :clapping: :clapping:

Epi-hunter
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Very nice V Ron... congrats!! :cheering: