PDA

View Full Version : 2 COPPER DAY WITH THE SNIFFSTER!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Jessie and me started at 5:30 am drove up to a few new sites we had located,they were pretty much a bust.got a small crotal bell and a once nice silver leafed pocket knife.I knew there used to be a site in the middle of this farm field with no signs of it remaining.we drove up the rd,located the farmer,secured permission and hunted the last 4 hrs of the day till dark,turned out to be a pretty nice field holding some colonial goodies :drool:
a nice little batwing type buckle.you can see the tooling marks on the brass in the back(has to be colonial era) 2 pretty shot Connecticut state coppers,a 1916- S merc , a no date standing lib qtr and this button has my curiosity :confused: has same oval type design as you see on early militia buttons,whatever was in the center is corroded off.its a one piece button and very thin and smaller in diameter compared to the 1820's militia buttons. can any one give me an id on this?
also curious about the partial shield with star in center of holes.its not lead.maybe heavy pewter alloy

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
more pics
after looking at the blades that pulled out of the knife when trying to open it i thought they looked kinda strange :confused: was able to swivel the blades individually and i see a hallmark :omg: sterling silver blades on the knife <:

del
03-19-2011, 09:48 PM
very nice day of detecting ,sir. :peace: some really nice relics Dave :beerbuddy: as far as the button it does look to be similar to the early militias or war of 1812 era ones but i cannot find a match to the very oval looking &quot:daydream: to any of the military branches :confused: :confused: :dontknow: and i can't even tell what was suppose to be in the middle :-\ :dontknow: :omg: man those coppers took a beating from that field huh ... you could probably still identify them , i bet .that little buckle does look pretty old and definately colonial , its a really nice piece . nice day Dave :cheering: :cheering:

Ill Digger
03-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Thats some cool lookin' fungi 8) Never seen any like that before. :dontknow:
Cool finds and great pictures!!
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2011, 09:58 PM
very nice day of detecting ,sir. :peace: some really nice relics Dave :beerbuddy: as far as the button it does look to be similar to the early militias or war of 1812 era ones but i cannot find a match to the very oval looking &quot:daydream: to any of the military branches :confused: :confused: :dontknow: and i can't even tell what was suppose to be in the middle :-\ :dontknow: :omg: man those coppers took a beating from that field huh ... you could probably still identify them , i bet .that little buckle does look pretty old and definately colonial , its a really nice piece . nice day Dave :cheering: :cheering:

thanks dan! yeah between the pesticides and cow crap they didn't stand a chance.that field was ripe today.they just dumped fresh loads of manure not long ago.PU! :shocked04:stretcher:
thanks for trying with the button.can't make out anything in the oval either.looking under a loop its wiped out.

del
03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
thanks dan! yeah between the pesticides and cow crap they didn't stand a chance.that field was ripe today.they just dumped fresh loads of manure not long ago.PU! :shocked04:stretcher:

:omg: i guess you really earned them finds then :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2011, 10:20 PM
:omg: i guess you really earned them finds then :grin:

oh yeah! :yes:

sniffy
03-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Here's my keepers and my stinkin New Jersey. :shocked01:

Toadman
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
That's a killer day for sure..anyone would be happy with a day like that.. Love the knife ! :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy:

coinnut
03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
You guys did great! :clapping: I knew you would strike copper lol Nice silver knife and some great all around relics. A real nice hunt guys!!!

MassDirtFisher
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet hunt guys. Awesome Finds!! Big congrats!! Happy Hunting!!

del
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
more pics
after looking at the blades that pulled out of the knife when trying to open it i thought they looked kinda strange :confused: was able to swivel the blades individually and i see a hallmark :omg: sterling silver blades on the knife <:

:omg: silver knike blades... very unusual Dave :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

your all set to skin werewolves , should you happen to come across them now lol lol :tongue: pretty cool and uncommon find, dude.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
:omg: silver knike blades... very unusual Dave :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:

your all set to skin werewolves , should you happen to come across them now lol lol :tongue: pretty cool and uncommon find, dude.

lol @ the werewolves.apparently they are called fruit knives and very popular in the mid 1800's.the thin curved blade is a nut pick

SeabeeRon
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Sweet bunch of relics and coins guys!! :clapping:
Hey Dave, is this dig what you could call being in deep doo doo??!!? :tongue: :boxing: :poke:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Sweet bunch of relics and coins guys!! :clapping:
Hey Dave, is this dig what you could call being in deep doo doo??!!? :tongue: :boxing: :poke:

lol Ron! yeah literally. :cheesysmile:

Evan/tn
03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Nice site pics and great finds,i love seeing those artifacts come to light!

jkress
03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Excellent hunt gentlemen. <: :clapping:
You both pulled some very nice oldies. Gotta say... love, love, love that silver pocket knife. :smitten:
Congrats guys. :peace:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
thanks guys! happydance02 I cleaned this buckle a little bit more.look at the nice green patina on it thumbsup01

JTGOLD
03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
very nice finds,gg.

RobW
03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Those are some NICE finds :drool:
That is one deep rut in that field!