PDA

View Full Version : Homemade display case table

BillZ
03-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I learned how to make a few basic woodworking projects this past year and thought I would try making a display case table. It is red oak, using 4 basic supplies you can get at Home Depot. 1x4's for the sides, the legs are 1x1's normally used for stair banister supports. I tapered them on a table saw using a jig that I made. The bottom is 1/8 plywood that fits into a groove on the sides like a drawer bottom. The top glass frame is actually from trim that you can buy as you see it, Groove and all. I just had to cut to fit the glass. The sides are attached to the legs with dowels, clamped, then glued. No screws in the construction. I found a dowel jig at Lowes and thought I would try it out. A couple of the holes had to be redone but it was largely a success. Finish is Minwax's Golden Oak stain with 3 coats of semi-gloss poly acrylic.

It was a fairly simple project that anyone who has basic skills and tools could do. The wood cost only about $50 and the glass about $40. Hinges made the whole project about $100. Seems like a pretty fair price for a piece of furniture that should last a lifetime.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2443.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_2444.jpg

coinnut
03-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Very nice job :clapping: Red oak ain't cheap, that's for sure. You did a good job matching the wood patterns up front. Now all it needs is some lining and some detecting finds lol Hope the wife is OK with looking at dug up items everytime you two sit down :-\ Nice work

del
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
great looking display table Bill :clapping: :clapping: really nice job but you forgot to post a picture loaded with goodies :yes: :yes:

cliffy
03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Real nice display case! :clapping: :clapping:

BillZ
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Very nice job :clapping: Red oak ain't cheap, that's for sure. You did a good job matching the wood patterns up front. Now all it needs is some lining and some detecting finds lol

If the wood patterns match up it was a lucky mistake. lol

Hope the wife is OK with looking at dug up items everytime you two sit down :-\ Nice work

Thanks! The wife should be OK with it, half the finds are hers!

great looking display table Bill :clapping: :clapping: really nice job but you forgot to post a picture loaded with goodies :yes: :yes:

Not there yet but I will add a pic when it's done.

RobW
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
That's nice, good job! :clapping:

Dimeman
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
That is some very nice work....and looks great !!!!! 8)

Salty Dog
03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Yep! that is one fine display table Bill,thanks for sharing,Dave

exsquid
03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Enjoy seeing threads like this showing how others are showing off their finds. You do NICE work... very nice...

Vito
03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, very good job. :clapping: Like the color of the red...

pulltabsteve
03-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Love the display table Bill! Its exactly what i've been planning to build for the PAST 5 YEARS! Super job! :clapping:

catskillcomics
03-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Really nice display case and a great idea, certainly a conversation starter when having company over... I'll have to look into one of those for sure.

tanacat
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
:clapping: Wow that's really sharp- you are talented! Please share it again when you display some finds :)

Thanks for the measurements. I might ask my hubby to build one for mother's day or something :cheesysmile: