PDA

View Full Version : Pinewood Derby Best of Show! WooHoo!

Indy!
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
My 11 year old Levi just had his final Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Saturday. It's one of the classic greatest father-son gigs outside of fishing. Levi wanted to make a Rocket Car with flames shooting out the back this year. I wanted to try and make the slimmest car ever built that still weighed the legal 5oz max limit (Heavier cars are said to go faster, but limited at 5oz). We combined our wish list and designed and built the Missile! About 5% wood and wheels. About 95% solid lead! OLO!

Long story short, it came up against some faster cars so didn't make top 3. But it did WIN Best of Show, the award for the best designed car! And so now it goes to the District finals in April, against the 30 other Best of Show winners from all the other packs.

Man was it tiny compared to all the others. But weighed in at 5.000. Here's some pix from the race....

PS... Notice the scarf slide in the first pic? Kinda dirty? He lost his, last minute, so I grabbed one out of my M6 finds bag and had him wear it. OLO

russellt
03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
by far the best looking car was the skunkworks missle.. you guys rock thumbsup01

JTGOLD
03-22-2011, 09:35 AM
nice pic's and great looking car,that is something to be proud of :happydance01:

Cheap Thrills
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Wow !! an Indy car !! lol Great and imaginative design . thumbsup01 8) Congrats to you and your son (good looking kid) . What a good Dad you are . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
I was wondering , does the little woman ever take that car out for a spin ?

Salty Dog
03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
You are a good dad,Rob,but then you already know it....I do lots of school projects with my daughters,I always want to know what kind of grade i get lol,tell your son congrats and i hope he takes first next time...Dave

DaleGM
03-22-2011, 04:07 PM
wow!!!! what happed to the old block of wood cars of the past, these kids are on there way to M.I.T, give your boy a pat on the back for me Indy, a chip of the old block.......pun intended :clapping: :clapping:

Indy!
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Wow !! an Indy car !! lol
I was wondering , does the little woman ever take that car out for a spin ?

Thanks for all the compliments guys! But this post cracked me up! rofl rofl rofl
Yes, the little woman is out for a spin right now!

Napa Steve
03-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Nice sleek design on the car, didn't your son win the whole thing last year?

Indy!
03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice sleek design on the car, didn't your son win the whole thing last year?

Thanks Steve! Last year he won the pack race (speed, not design), so got to go to District finals for speed and got 9th at District. This year it's going to District just for design. Will be kind of boring cause his car just sits there for several hours and doesn't get to race at all.

odave
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Awesome Rob !! Great Pic's too !!
Congratulations Levi :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

exsquid
03-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Sweet looking car Levi and Indy.... Def a show stopper... I can see why it won...

BOWSER
03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
great job, i have been to several ,but my grandson wouldn't let me cheat :bangahead01:

Evan/tn
03-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Cool car and congrats to you and your son for best in show :clapping:

Toadman
03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
ay cool dudes....... :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: