PDA

View Full Version : Life Is Everywhere - Spring Silver

CyberSage
03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Life is a fragile thing. As detectorist I think we have the potential to be much more aware of the the transformations that occur over the seasons. By virtue of the ground we dig in, we measure the seasons. We monitor the icy frozen solid ground of the winter, and eagerly await the early spring day that the digger slips easily into the muddy wet earth. We are conscious of the delicate new growth of the roots shooting skyward. We also realize the day that the sun is to hot to dig in the park without doing irreparable damage to the green summer lawns. The fall brings the return of cool days that allows for some of the best hunts of the year. The grandeur of the Autumn day lay in stark contrast to what is about to occur. All to soon, the cold embraces the earth and holds fast to our treasures for yet another year. Life is truly, a fragile and fleeting thing.
Once again I found myself at a little local park, and before long I was lost in my world of metal detecting. Today was officially the first day of Spring. The weather was beautiful, and I had a couple hours to detect. Life was good. This is the same park that produced the Barber Dime last week. I returned back to the old tree and dug a few nice Wheats. I was eager for some Silver, and when I received a good deep hit that responded in a promising manner, I dug with great excitement. I was down about 8 inches and the pin pointer tracked to the side of the hole. I started to get the feeling that I was about to uncover a rusty nail when a bent copper coin popped from the side wall.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/DeepWheat-1.jpg

The 1944 Wheat was unusually deep. It measured at just over 9 inches.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/BentWheat.jpg

The bend in the coin had thrown a false pin point and elevated the VDI response to that of a Silver coin.

A fun dig, but not the Silver I was Looking for. I worked my way back across the small park to where my car was parked and decided to grid an area that had produced well in the past. It was not long before I realized what the detector was trying to tell me.

SpringSilver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfV04RbEPA#)

Silver again from the old park. Never say hunted out!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/MercDig-1.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/MercSite-2.jpg

I am always happy to find a coin where I have hunted in the past. As I grow, and learn, the finds continue to come. What a great way to end the hunt.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/GruopS.jpg

The day's take was just a few Wheats and a Mercury Dime, but combine that with the nice Spring weather and a few hours of peace and quiet, and you have a recipe for a nice hunt.

How many Winters had the coins I found lay in the ground? The cycle of life had passed over them countless times. I wonder what stories they could tell given the ability. I sat on the hood of my car for awhile and thought about the significance of the few old coins I had dug from the ground. As I looked up at the old park I could see the new green shoots of grass poking up through the thatch. The leaf buds on the trees were swelling beneath the thin skin of the new bark. Little purple nubs were pushing their way through the ground in the nearby flower beds. I then came to the realization that it is in fact the little things that more often or not signal the change of time. I looked down at the little mercury Dime I held in my hand. It is true, things that often go unnoticed, end up being some of our greatest treasures.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

mike l
03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Well said Jack. Nothing like feeling the warm sun on an early spring day and watching the browns and greys of winter turn to the bright and vivid colors of summer.

Epi-hunter
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
This is a great post. Great finds.

And a terrific title.

dave in iowa
03-22-2011, 12:29 AM
great day Jack, your stories are great , as i said our Jack London.

giant056
03-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Congrats on the merc Cybersage thumbsup01

Salty Dog
03-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Congrats on the silver and wheaty's,keep them finds coming,Dave

Carver
03-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Congrats on the Merc and wheats Jack!! Nice video and I enjoyed your post!! <: <: <:

Cheap Thrills
03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for retroactively taking me along on another very enjoyable trip Jack. thumbsup01 thumbsup01 8)

jkress
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Great post Jack and awesome finds. Love the pics too... especially the third image. I gotta start taking my camera with me more often.
You have inspired me to do so. :yes:
Congrats on pulling some goodies from a hunted park.

steve in so az
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Good post Jack ! Having lived here for most of my life I sometimes wonder how long the coin has been there waiting for me. And how many times I have gone by it over the years. steve in so az

DaleGM
03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
very good post and video Jack you bring your finds and surroundings to life as one that has just stepped back in time............

SeabeeRon
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Always have enjoyed your posts Jack, good to see them again!! :clapping: 8)

rsarge1
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
awesome jack im up here in south dakota with my car broke down :bangahead01: :bangahead01: so im not getting much detecting done wtg

milco
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Awesome post Jack, always appreciate your angle on things....puts things in a good perspective! Watching the rain this week, still waiting for my first hunt of the season. It's cool to see you pull these from the hunted out park!

exsquid
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Jack...love your writing gift....

I could feel the sun and the Spring like breeze blowing while reading your thread...Nice finds, and no doubt, an incredible couple hours to lose yourself in the threshold of your machine....

That park just keeps on giving....

take care...

JTGOLD
03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
nice silver and wheat finds,good story and pics too.

pulltabsteve
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Very nice post and observations Jack. Its nice to see your sentimental side :grin: When Im at an old site an find something old and cool, I just sit there and wonder who it was that lost it and what they were doing there. The last line in your post says it all.
It is true, things that often go unnoticed, end up being some of our greatest treasures.
Nice hunt Jack :yes:

Toadman
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Nice day in the sun dude.. :happydance01: :happydance01: I was kinda waiting for a punchline, Or to hear you stepped on a bees nest !! lol lol lol

coinnut
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Good story Jack. I've often wondered who lost the item I found. How did they lose it, did they even notice that it was gone or did they look for it for hours :thinkingabout: It's not the value of what we find, it's the fellings we get from finding it. :yes: The first good Spring day's hunt is always memorable. :daydream:

CyberSage
03-23-2011, 07:45 PM
It was a very good day. Sometimes you just have one of those days. This was definitely one of them. I really appreciate the nice words, and the pat on the back from all of you. A big part of the hunt for me is the history and reflection on the past. It is really nice to have a place like the forum to share finds and adventures. You guys are great. Thank you. Looking forward to this weekend already.

Jack

P.S. Sarge, I am sorry about your car. I hope you get a little swing time in buddy.

rsarge1
03-23-2011, 08:54 PM
yeah Jack thanks I managed to do about 30 minutes in a back yard looking for a gold ring but the weather blew in and said to go inside so I listened lol I will be coming back through your way on friday got the car fixed over night they did a great job here in rapid city to get me back on the road.

Beefcake
03-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Nice video and well worded post as usual Jack! Congrats on the silver!

Ill Digger
03-23-2011, 10:12 PM
The spring air and a fresh dug hole showing a glint of silver is a treasure in it's self.
Nice finds Jack!
Congrats :grin:

Jaybird
03-23-2011, 11:33 PM
WAY TO GO, Jack :clapping:. GREAT POST :peace:. Wish I could learn the posting better. Looks like I need to mosey up your way soon.
Jay

catskillcomics
03-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Another nice hunt Jack, glad you guys are having nice weather... its still :frozen: here

odave
03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Great Post Jack thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Enjoyed the Video too !!
Congrats on the finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01