PDA

View Full Version : V3i Battery setting question

v3ikid
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I have a question about the battery setting on the V3i. I have noticed when you go to the Expert Menu
Configure
Battery
Battery type ( There are three choices) NiMh - NiCd - and Alkiline
When I first got the V I assumed that this setting would automatically change depending on what battery pack you had in. Once after switching battery packs I went back into the expert menu and noticed that the setting hadn't changed and had to be done manually.

Not a big deal to do but on two occasions i have forgot to change this and realized it after i'd hunted. Noticed i didn't get the number of coins on those hunts i usually do.
That is probably just a coincedence but don't really know.

What exactly is the purpose of this setting? And what if any is the effect on the machine if set wrong?

Seems odd to me that this setting would NOT have an impact on the preformance because if it was a novilty reminder you wouldn't think it would be burried in the expert menu and serve no purpose other then to tell you what battery you had in when it would be much easier to open the battery compartment and SEE which one you had in. lol
Just trying to figure this monster out. Never heard anything about this. Thanks in advance :confused:

CyberSage
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey Kid,
First and foremost, stop finding so much great stuff with your V3i. Don't you realize this is an advanced machine and takes time to find the good stuff? lol The Battery Type setting simply keeps the charge indicator accurate as to remaining charge available. It will not effect your detector performance at all, unless you run out of juice without being aware of your charge level. ;)

Jack

v3ikid
03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry Jack lol, I'll try to slow down a bit. lol
You answered my question. I had forgot to mention that I had it on one setting on one occasion and looked at the battery volts and when i switched it to the right setting to match the battery pack that was in, the volt reading actually went up. :yes:

Ok now i get it. Thanks for the answer Jack, little at a time i will get there.

Went out for about an hour with your correlate program. Now remember like i said, my yard is the worst of the worst which makes it a great training :bangshead02: field. lol

All i can say at this point.... in my trashy nail infested yard...... the correlate is the best nail program i've found. :hairpulling:. By the time i'm done with it here and get to a good site i will know for sure what NOT to dig with it. thumbsup01

Thanks for all your help Jack. You guys sure make a guy feel comfortable with a new detector

CyberSage
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
All i can say at this point.... in my trashy nail infested yard...... the correlate is the best nail program i've found. :hairpulling:. By the time i'm done with it here and get to a good site i will know for sure what NOT to dig with it. thumbsup01

Thanks for all your help Jack. You guys sure make a guy feel comfortable with a new detector

You are a fast learner. If you are digging nails then you understand how the program works. Cross check those hits at different angles. Look at the splatter on the screen. Listen for the roll of the tone. If it is sharp and cut off sounding and the screen shows splatter it is a nail. If in doubt dig. sometimes coins will show splatter if in close proximity to trash. In well hunted areas there are more coins hiding in the trash than those that are lost to depth. Listen for the roll of the tone. If it is consistent and showing a 50 or more VDI and the depth is over 4.5 inches dig. Slow down that swing. Start your hunt by choosing an obvious area. Grid the area and focus on the movement of your coil. The coins will jump out and bite you on the leg when you hit them. Use the Lock Track setting and ground balance often. Rusty nails are good. It is a sign that you are digging in the neighborhood. Deep iron is our enemy, but keeps good company... Silver!

Jack