PDA

View Full Version : Silver On Two Cold Days

angellionel
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Yesterday I decided to brave the cold weather and headed to one of the parks I have been detecting lately. I had expected to see the ground covered with snow, but surprisingly there was none. It sure made digging a less muddy affair. In the end, I walked away from the park with four silver coins and a button. I returned today and had similar results with silver coins, this time digging a Standing Liberty quarter, two more Roosevelt dimes, and a mercury dime. I dug up several wheat cents as well.

The Roosevelt dimes have been popping up more frequently now, mostly from the more trashy areas of the park.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_silver_121509.jpg

The button was the deepest of the targets on this hunt.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_button_121509.jpg

I can barely make out the last digit of the standing liberty quarter, which appears to be a nine.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_silver_121609.jpg

The wheat cents are from both days.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_wheats_121609.jpg

HH!

xzlr8n
12-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Most impressive :twirlingeyes:!! You are a diehard detectorist for sure. I wish I could go out, but we have snow, mud, and frozen ground around me. Still at 438 or 446 :yes:

Bentfork
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Awesome finds Angel. Congrats!

Jason in Enid
12-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Congrats, you'll make 450 before the end of the year for sure!

That button looks like a modern army dress button, but I'm not sure how long it's been since they last changed the design.

del
12-17-2009, 03:32 AM
whew :shocked04: , the last couple days have been cold Angel your perseverance was rewarded by the silver gods :yes:. you are definately their chosen one this year ;) , congrats my friend . the button is a GREAT SEAL variety that was first used is 1902 to present the backmark would narrow it down but looks like an early one to me .

Dan

John M
12-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Not a bad haul for braving the cold.

bmattioli
12-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Man Angel it sure is cold out there, I'm glad the ground is still soft enough to dig.. I thought I saw your car parked at the park but wondered, nah can't be him... Nice haul on the Silver!

randy
12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Nice silver Angel. Glad you got out -- I was digging frozen ground the shade.

OkieDigger
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice ones! 450 is definitely within your grasp. :yes:

Epi-hunter
12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
The silver is very nice.... and I really really love that button! ;)

angellionel
12-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Most impressive :twirlingeyes:!! You are a diehard detectorist for sure. I wish I could go out, but we have snow, mud, and frozen ground around me. Still at 438 or 446 :yes:

The temperature had been above freezing and there was not much of any wind, so it was bearable. Today it's in the 20's though, so I'm staying put. :shocked01:

whew :shocked04: , the last couple days have been cold Angel your perseverance was rewarded by the silver gods :yes:. you are definately their chosen one this year ;) , congrats my friend . the button is a GREAT SEAL variety that was first used is 1902 to present the backmark would narrow it down but looks like an early one to me .

Dan

Thanks Dan. I have to clean it up, but it does appear to be an earlier one.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_buttonback_121509.jpg

Man Angel it sure is cold out there, I'm glad the ground is still soft enough to dig.. I thought I saw your car parked at the park but wondered, nah can't be him... Nice haul on the Silver!

You should have stopped by Bruce. I was detecting right by the entrance, where I parked my car. I didn't want to walk too far from it in case I would start to get too cold.

hoser
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Totally outstanding finds. I really want to find a standing lib next year. That one just seems to hide from me for some reason. Well done.

coinnut
12-17-2009, 06:45 PM
4 more.... the pressure is on :lol: Great couple of hunts. That silver is all over these parks, just masked enough for them to survive till you got them. Congrats on a great year!!!

SeabeeRon
12-17-2009, 06:55 PM
You continue to AMAZE Angel!! :cool: :thumbsup01:

marchas45
12-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Nice finds Angel your sure doing a number on the silver. :thumbsup01:

MNDigger
12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice looking hunts! Congrats on the silver but especially the SLQ! :thumbsup01:

RickO
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Silver MUST be getting scarce in your area.... :lol: RickO

Stang1968
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
How much snow do you have now? I think you need to dress in layers and go get those last 4... :)
Nice coins and button you have there.

angellionel
12-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Silver MUST be getting scarce in your area.... :lol: RickO

I'm afraid so. :lol: I think I need to start going to some of the other parks on my list, though those will require a few road trips.

How much snow do you have now? I think you need to dress in layers and go get those last 4... :)
Nice coins and button you have there.

There is still some snow on the lawns and grass strips out here. I try to use those as a gauge as to what may be remaining on the parks, but it doesn't always match. :bummer: It has been cold though, mostly below freezing temperatures, but I'm hoping for a warmer weekend. :)

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
more lousy silver huh?aren't ya gettin tired of diggin them shiny discs? :rofl:
you have truly been blessed this year for sure!
awesome! :thumbsup01:

angellionel
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
more lousy silver huh?aren't ya gettin tired of diggin them shiny discs? :rofl:
you have truly been blessed this year for sure!
awesome! :thumbsup01:

I'm addicted, Dave! :twirlingeyes: :lol:

I have to say, the E-Trac has allowed me to work areas where other detectors I have used tended to choke on the iron and heavy trash abounding at such sites. While I wouldn't presume to say that it is the best detector out there, I can definitely say that it is the best detector I have ever used. The machine has been paired with a wonderful coil, making it a combination hard to beat.

If they give themselves a fair chance to become acquainted with the machine, I have no doubt that experienced detectorists would be able to again pull desirable targets from the very trashy areas of their old hunting grounds.

del
12-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm addicted, Dave! :twirlingeyes: :lol:

wow , i don't know if Dave could actually relate to that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have to say, the E-Trac has allowed me to work areas where other detectors I have used tended to choke on the iron and heavy trash abounding at such sites. While I wouldn't presume to say that it is the best detector out there, I can definitely say that it is the best detector I have ever used. The machine has been paired with a wonderful coil, making it a combination hard to beat.

If they give themselves a fair chance to become acquainted with the machine, I have no doubt that experienced detectorists would be able to again pull desirable targets from the very trashy areas of their old hunting grounds.

now Angel here's a question for you , do you think this coil helps with actually just id'ing good targets amongst iron (digging more good targets and ignoring iron)or it makes all the targets even iron ones sound a little better there for you find yourself digging a little more of the iron to get the goods. i used a 6x10 DD coil and it had very good seperation but i did notice i dug more iron (i think it made it sound more iffy instead of just a null)but also dug more good targets mixed with or even in the same hole as the iron , where as the standard coil is more acurrate in id'ing a target it falls alittle short in mixed targets signals and nulls more over iron so i dig alot less iron.

angellionel
12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
now Angel here's a question for you , do you think this coil helps with actually just id'ing good targets amongst iron (digging more good targets and ignoring iron)or it makes all the targets even iron ones sound a little better there for you find yourself digging a little more of the iron to get the goods. i used a 6x10 DD coil and it had very good seperation but i did notice i dug more iron (i think it made it sound more iffy instead of just a null)but also dug more good targets mixed with or even in the same hole as the iron , where as the standard coil is more acurrate in id'ing a target it falls alittle short in mixed targets signals and nulls more over iron so i dig alot less iron.

It definitely helps in identifying good targets found among iron. I have experienced it many times. :yes: Of course, such good targets can still be easily missed if a fast sweep is used when working at heavily trashy areas. But on slow sweeps the E-Trac will sound off on the good target, though with somewhat of a broken tone on the initial sweep.

I recall one particular target at a park I had hit where the tone was somewhat broken on the initial sweep, but then the E-Trac provided a strong and consistently good tone when sweeping very slowly over the target. I was confident it was silver. Upon cutting the plug the first target I saw was a large and old rusted nail, larger than the square nails I have dug from such sites. Several inches below it there was a seated liberty dime. More recently I had a similar experience with a standing liberty quarter, but where the iron was a much larger piece.

I have used the stock coil exclusively, even at the trashiest of sites, and it has performed exceedingly well. But the barrage of tones can drive some batty if not used to dealing with such. I can 'tune out' most of the other tones, concentrating only on the ones that 'speak' to me. I think of it in terms of a crowded room where everyone is talking at the same time. It can be difficult to carry on a conversation, but I can still focus on just the one person with whom I am conversing and hear much of what is being said. ;)

xzlr8n
12-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Angel,

Was wondering if you have much luck in the less trashy areas of the parks you regulary hunt. Or are those areas pretty much picked clean - what I'm getting at does the newest of machine's depth mean anything in these cleaner areas. Machine's Silver detection is better?? Or does your successful work lie in and amongst the trash where few others have dared to go? I'm interested in your opinion because I have older parks around me, probably much like ones in your area, that only give up the occassional clad. I know people have hit them hard in the past with stories of pails of silver coins found. My hope is that I can find the deeper ones missed in the past and secondly to find them in the trashy areas. One park I visit was and is regulary flooded so I'm thinking the older coins if any are beyond 8 down. Thanks for feedback.

Scott

angellionel
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Angel,

Was wondering if you have much luck in the less trashy areas of the parks you regulary hunt. Or are those areas pretty much picked clean - what I'm getting at does the newest of machine's depth mean anything in these cleaner areas. Machine's Silver detection is better?? Or does your successful work lie in and amongst the trash where few others have dared to go? I'm interested in your opinion because I have older parks around me, probably much like ones in your area, that only give up the occassional clad. I know people have hit them hard in the past with stories of pails of silver coins found. My hope is that I can find the deeper ones missed in the past and secondly to find them in the trashy areas. One park I visit was and is regulary flooded so I'm thinking the older coins if any are beyond 8 down. Thanks for feedback.

Scott

Oh, yes, I have had very good success at such sites, where being able to go deep is the primary concern. There may not be as many desirable targets at such relatively trash free locations since they may have been worked over the years by many experienced detectorists, but machines like the E-Trac would definitely make such sites worth hitting again.

I have gone over areas I have hit in past years and I have managed to dig up many deeply buried coins. I certainly would not shy away from such sites just because others have written them off as 'hunted out'. IMHO, detecting them while employing a grid is the way to work them.

I would also work the trashy areas of the old parks where you live. You would be surprised at what they may hold.