PDA

View Full Version : Stalking The Corn Field

Bell-Two
03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Went out today with fellow Dayton Digger Mark, he invited me to an old field he has permission to hunt. The field has given up a lot of goodies in the past but lately not much to find. Mark went to a different area to see what he could turn up I went to the spot that has been good in the past. Mark found a thimble and a compact and several other interesting what its I tried to find a spot that was loaded with iron so I could use the Two Tone Ferrous option on the E-Trac. My thinking was that maybe I could pull out a goodie that had been masked from the other detectors that have been used. I got a bullet a few square nails a hunting arrow tip and found some broken crockery. A couple of other finds were a china button and a mother of pearl button. Finally I got a good signal between some iron, it took some squeaking out with a small wiggle to isolate it. I dug my plug and scanned again and I got a very solid 12-46, I figured it wasn't a clad quarter so I had hopes for a Large Cent and would just have to accept the disappointment of a Seated Quarter if that was the case. lol Well it was a Largie very toasty could not get a date as of yet.

Sorry no video...my battery was dead!

Beefcake
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
That largie looks different... Maybe a Hard times token?

odave
03-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Congrats on the Large Cent !
That's a big arrow tip too thumbsup01

Carl in Louisiana
03-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Great looking find Congrats thumbsup01

angellionel
03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Congrats on what looks to be an old one. thumbsup01

coinnut
03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Nice work getting that copper out of the iron mix. It takes some practice but it makes it that much more special :clapping: I'm wondering if it's the back of a British copper or a Connecticut? The other side have a bust on it??

Carver
03-27-2011, 08:05 AM
That is a cool find :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

aloldstuff
03-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Very good detectoring. Squeaked out that large cent from the nasty iron. Congrats

Ill Digger
03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
It's making a find like that, in conditions like those, that separate the men from the boys and the women from the girls!! :yes: thumbsup01
My oldest IH came from the same conditions. Barely even a squeeker :yes:
Nice find!!
Congrats :grin:

Bell-Two
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
With some MS70, a little massaging and the help of a coin dealers strong lamp and magnifier he stated that he was fairly sure it is 1833. Coin is still toast but at least got a date on her!

russellt
03-29-2011, 07:12 PM
coins from the corn ... ole coppas are hard to beat .. that one was lost long ago. very nice recovery :peace: