PDA

View Full Version : Problematic Area

T.L.McGee
03-26-2011, 08:21 AM
My first post!!

I live in an area full of history. Saint Augustine, FL was settled in 1565 and was NEVER abandoned or left empty. That is great but also has a problem associated with it. In town you cannot use a metal detector. If you are a land owner in town an archeologist has to dig before you can dig on your own property! If he finds something on YOUR land it belongs to the city not you.

Outside of town everyone is afraid you might find something good I guess because they won't allow you to dig even if you offer to share with them. I just thought I would share with you some of the frustrating aspects of metal detecting in the nations oldest continuously occupied city (other than Indians)!

Terry

jkress
03-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow, that is a tough set of rules... especially the one about your own property. How much time does an archeologist spend on your property before they give you the 'go ahead'?
It has to be extra frustrating being in such a historically rich location. How long have you been detecting? Mind if I ask what some of your favorite finds are from the area?

Toadman
03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
That rots BIG TIME dude.......... :bangshead02: :bangshead02: If i was a landowner there, I think i'd have to break the law... 8)

T.L.McGee
03-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Example: There was a guy that wanted to add a room on his house. The man from the city came out and started digging. He found an old hand dug well. So he followed the well down to the bottom. There was all kinds of artifacts on the bottom. Pottery & lots of things made of metal dating back to the early 1800's. It just depends on what they find as far as how long they will hold things up. Recently the city wanted to make a pull over for the horse & buggies. They dug down about a foot or so and found the foundation of a building!

The best thing I found was a copper good luck charm that a Spanish soldier had on his uniform. Then I also found a silver coin from way back when. It is between a quarter and half dollar in size and is 100% silver, 1793 French.

Terry

T.L.McGee
03-26-2011, 03:04 PM
That rots BIG TIME dude.......... :bangshead02: :bangshead02: If i was a landowner there, I think i'd have to break the law... 8)

You REALLY wouldn't want to get caught doing that. If they catch you with a metal detector down there they take it plus fine you!

Terry

zrickkid
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
That really sucks.

Jeff (or)
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
You can't detect in town?? That is beyond frustrating!!! I would move, there are so many great places to detect in the USA to put up with that. (that's just me though)

T.L.McGee
03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Other than all of the above it is a great town. Especially if you like history. Plus we are the home of the Datil Pepper. :smitten: It grows from southern GA to northern FL with us being home to it. It is a little yellow/orange HOT and sweet pepper. Hotter than a Jalapeno but not as hot as a habenaro (SP?).

Terry

odave
03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
That would be very Frustrating Terry :hairpulling: :hairpulling:

Cheap Thrills
03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
:devilish: Oh , go ahead , you won't get caught !! :angelic: It's against the law, if you get caught it makes all detectorists look bad !!

:devilish: Are you going to let a bunch of crooked bureaucrats tell you what to do ? :angelic:Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's .
:devilish: :angelic: :devilish: :angelic: :devilish: :angelic: :devilish: :angelic: :devilish: :angelic: .............. :hairpulling: :bangahead01: :mad:

Carver
03-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Yup,,,that blows :ticked: :ticked: :ticked: :ticked:

Vito
03-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Same problems all over the world...sorry to hear about, dude. All I can say is, go legal. And be careful on what you're telling on the forums. :yes:

Vito

russellt
03-29-2011, 06:48 PM
thats gistopo like .. that kind of heavy handedness has no place in a free society.. its central florida. not romania