PDA

View Full Version : Everyone's Niche

z118
12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Hello all...

Haven't been on much lately as my season has ended due to cold temps, snow, & frozen ground. Trying to get back into the routine of life without detecting. It was a good year and I'm looking forward to posting a summary of all my finds in the next week or so. With that in mind I headed to the jeweler today to pick up a sterling crucifix I had worked on... if you remember I posted about it here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.0

Came out nicely for the most part... pic below.

Anyway, as I put things together for my year end post I can't help but recall something Angel had said during our hunt in November. We were discussing forums and various members and Angel mentioned everyone has their niche. And it seems true - you got your folks going for silver, your tot lot hunters, cellar hole folks, beach hunters, etc. Everyone really seems to have a particular style of hunting or type of targets that they gravitate towards.

As I tally up my finds, it seems to me that I am lacking a niche. My totals for the year makle me realize I am quite the jack of all trades / master of none hunter. lol

I love finding silver coins. I love finding old copper coins. I love relics. I love jewelry. I love clad (and lots of it). I love modern tokens and kid's trinkets. I'm happy hunting the beach, tot lots, school yards, parks, woods, yards, wherever. I just plain old like digging stuff.

Anyway, no real point here... I just think it's interesting that I have yet to become any single sort of hunter. Maybe I will after a time?

del
12-17-2009, 02:40 PM
that religious cross is one beautiful silver piece and was amazing to find all of it as well , huge congrats thumbsup01. as for for your niche , you are whats called the well rounded detectorist and that is to say you are comfortable and proficient at many detecting scenarios and less likely to be out of your element , that in itself is a niche in our hobby i think. :yes: :grin:

Dan

angellionel
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Congrats on that beautiful find, Z. It was great that you were able to find the second piece on your return trip. :)

Like Dan said, you are likely to enjoy any type of detecting, whether out in the woods, beach, or just hitting a local park. :)

Next year should be another fun one for you. I wish you much success!

Epi-hunter
12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that photo of the cross... it was one amazing find! You really finished out the year with a bang :yes: Next year will be a good one for you :)

So Angel said that everyone has their niche? I wonder what he thinks mine is. I'm afraid to ask rofl

I think it's great that you enjoy the hobby across a wide variety of settings. You won't ever get bored or run out of places to detect :)

z118
12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
So Angel said that everyone has their niche? I wonder what he thinks mine is. I'm afraid to ask rofl

Well, he might remember better than me his exact words... as I recall the jist of the conversation was that what is nice about forums is that you get detectorists with such different niches that you get a wide range of experiences and knowledge. I'm not sure... I was too stunned by all the silver I was seeing to remember everything clearly. I'm sure you know what I mean!

Anyway, I would guess that you are mostly and old coin hunter, right? Just guessing from your posts. In general, it seems to me like that is what most on this forum are after... and you COULD divide those into the silver hunting folks and the copper hunting folks.

hoser
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Z that cross is OUTSTANDING! Looks really great. As far as a niche, I like you do just about all of it. Just depends on the time of the season and where I'm at. If I go over to Grand Traverse bay area I will take the water machine as the beaches are long, clean and full of people during the summer months. I like tot lots once in a while, but for the most part woods hunting is my favorite. thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Great post Z!! thumbsup01 I think I too am still looking for my niche! :twirlingeyes:

coinnut
12-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I think that's great!!! I used to be a park hunter in the 70's. I enjoyed that as much as cellar hole hunting. Sometimes I think a different style of hunting breaks the monotony. That's why every so often, I'll go for the turn of the century coins and jewelry. It's great stuff. Glad you had a good year. Too bad mother nature makes us take a break :mad: But I guess our shoulders can use a rest lol

RickO
12-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Very nice find z.... for me, I do not worry about a niche, it is a hobby, and as such, I explore different parts of it. Right now it is cache hunting. RickO

Jason in Enid
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Personally, I am a silver hunter. But I will hunt for whatever I feel like on a particular day. Tot lots can be fun when they are loaded with clad. I LOVE beach jewelry hunting during the summer months when it's too hot and dry to dig in the parks or yards. I'm trying to get into a nearby ghost town, but haven't succeeded yet those farm fields are great but you have to wait until when the harvest is over, and before they plant for the next season.

I think my niche depends a lot on the season.

woodwizard
12-19-2009, 06:45 AM
thats a great crucifix-was that poured (seam someplace) or carved,engraved I think the term is-if the latter its some fine craftsmanship.also MDing is MDing--regaurdless of place hunting-its all about enjoying yourself and getting some exercise .some folks chase a little ball around try to put it in a hole and when it goes in the only thing retrieved from hole is the ball-we put our hand in a hole some times there's gold in it

SpringTxDigger
12-20-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think I have a niche. Of course I'm always thrilled when I pull Silver from the ground. My main hunting spot is a military training camp from 1917. So I'm thrilled pulling most anything from those days. Be it a collar disk or eagle buttons or a dog tag with the name of a soldier. Anything old with some link to our past makes it cool for me. I love a good mystery. There's no better mystery than pushing the dirt aside to see what your detector has found.

coinnut
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Anything old with some link to our past makes it cool for me. I love a good mystery. There's no better mystery than pushing the dirt aside to see what your detector has found.

I agree. It's the thrill of discovery and the mystery behind the finds that make the hobby exciting. I remember as a kid walking around town and always looking down. I would be looking for coins, marbles, baseball cards, etc... in or on the ground. I guess it's genetic lol