PDA

View Full Version : TDI, Trash & Me

Carl in Louisiana
03-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Well I took the TDI Pro to a new area out of town but not new to me. I never noticed all the nails mixed in with the wood chips before as I had used VLF detectors there. It was as if someone had torn down an old house and run wood and nails thru the chipper. lol The nails and other trash was mixed in the loose chips right on top and some a little deeper down in the hard pack. A very useful learning experience for me with the TDI and I will be going back there soon. I could not run in the low conductive switch way too much going on in that play ground to do so. :hairpulling: Most of what I have in the picture was picked up in the high conductive switch and I just could not find any changes that would totally eliminate the nails. If someone knows how to eliminate the nails please speak up. In the bottom picture you'll see the nail still in the wood chip. The nails by themselves seemed to make a difference in the tones but I think I need to go at it a few more times to get the subtle sound rooted in my mind. Now keep in mind that I did not chase these things down by digging, I just scraped the chips around to see if a coin was hiding there close by if not then it was a nail....any deeper than the surface of the hard pack was left there.
I think that I was beginning to tell the difference in nails and dimes and pennies...not many quarters found that day. But the one I did find was right under a nail and the tone was different enough for me to say lets see what's down there, and the same happened with the dime and the pennies because there was just so many nails. I ended up with $3.18 in clad for the day and now that I know what to expect I will try hunting it again. Just a side note thought I wonder how it is that no one has had a problem with kids playing and some rough and tumble and no nails stuck in them. Some look kinda new but many of them are very old and rusty... HH

Miller in Louisiana
03-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey Carl,

Having the same issues with the nails as well. I find myself switching from the high cond. to all cond. and scanning the target again. Usually, if the nail is straight and lying parallel to the ground surface I'll get variable signals that sound like two coins close together. When I switch to all cond., there is usually a distinguishable high tone between the lower tones of the nail ends. Today, in an attempt to further distinguish the nails from the coins, I switched to the low cond. and cranked the geb up. The signal over the nail got really choppy when I did that. I tried this because I've read somewhere that you can balance out the nails when in low cond. with the geb turned up. It will just take time to figure out a way to discriminate the nails from the coins. Even with the nail issue, I prefer it over listening to my VLF pop and scream as it tries to discriminate the multitudes of can tabs, aluminum shards and bottle caps.

Carl in Louisiana
03-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks Sean I will try that the next time out and see what happens. thumbsup01 thumbsup01 I can see now that this particular play ground is going to be my learning field for a little while thus I will be hitting it again soon. Moving wood chips around is much easier than digging plugs :grin: :grin: :grin: And yes the small pieces of aluminum was not even noticed with the TDI however I did pick up a couple of larger pieces. I did get one pull tab while in the low conductive setting but that is a good sign to me...GOLD lol lol lol :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Salty Dog
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like to me,You just need to get your coil over it,and you are just the guy to do it,Carl,cant wait to see what you nail,after a little tweaking...I'm thinking Gold for you,Buddy thumbsup01

Carl in Louisiana
03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Sounds like to me,You just need to get your coil over it,and you are just the guy to do it,Carl,cant wait to see what you nail,after a little tweaking...I'm thinking Gold for you,Buddy thumbsup01

Thanks Salty Dog....I am having more fun with this detector than any other that I have owned...for one it gets down deeper than all the rest with no problems concerning soil mineralization......right now I am going through the learning curve and it is not that frustrating.....I am hitting the playgrounds and not digging much until I learn the sounds a little better, much easier on the old back....... lol lol I do miss the TID screen at times but not real bad as I tried to dig all signals above iron anyways...I hope you see the big Gold Bars in my future and I will share the wealth with you if it is so.... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :peace:

staydetuned
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Kinda scary how many rusty nails there are in a kids playground! :crazy:

Not familiar with the TDI myself, but hope you get the machine dialed in. Hopefully to gold!

cliffy
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Takes a lot gut to run a pi in a playground. :peace: Stick with it you will become a much better detectorist after you get a handle on it and like Salty said it is just a matter of getting your coil over it.
Good luck
cliffy

Carver
03-27-2011, 08:03 PM
It won't take you long to master that TDI Carl,,,,Gold and silver coming your way!!!!

giant056
03-28-2011, 06:14 AM
I've heard the pulse machines can be a bear on them nails, good luck learning that beast Carl!!