PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Totlots

TheBigFundamental
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
So around here alot of the totlots have gravel instead of woodchips. Do you guys have success in gravel filled totlots? What kind of experiences have you had? What other mediums have you run into?

Thanks

v3ikid
03-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't do too many totlots but the i've hit mostly have wood chips.

Dimeman
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
We have quite a few gravel totlot areas.
They are easy to search but harder to see the coins....seems like if they have been in the gravel a few days or longer they start to get the same coloring as the gravel due to moisture( coolness of the evening) or rain. Here it is good to have a hand held pinpointer to really zero in on the target.
The same items are in the gravel as you find in the woodchips.

steve in so az
03-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Most of them here are either chip bark or sand, but some are gravel. Also, some are chopped up tires. And speaking of gravel - I have had lots of luck detecting gravel parking areas. Both drive ways and parking lots. Many coins to be dug there. It's amazing how the coins take on the coloring of the gravel. I have found coins, gold rings, old silver coins - just about everything in them.

One park I did last year had a parking area along it for about a block long, all with gravel. I took 300 coins and a silver ring out of there. Think outside the box. steve in so az

exsquid
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
We have gravel totlots here, as well as, the wood chips and chopped tires. I dislike the chopped tires the most. They seem to have chopped air valves in them which sets off the MD like jewelry etc. My fav is the wood chips but gravel works and I have done well in them. The coins/jewelry/etc. seem to really take a beating from the gravel but it seems to swallow up its fair share of goodies.

I don't pass them over without a quick check to see if they have been hunted....most seem to be ingnored...

Toadman
03-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Coins can get on edge very easy in gravel.. you really can't skip any targets..

russellt
03-29-2011, 06:39 PM
mostly wood chips here around north ga. ive never seen a gravel tot lot . thats hard core :-\