PDA

View Full Version : 4 Centuries of Coppers in one day!

RobW
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Al and I were going to be meeting up Saturday morning. I called him to say I was ready, but he wanted another hour. So I headed in his direction and hit a construction area in town that he said he had no interest in hitting because he hit it the day before and there were others hitting it too. But I'm stubborn. I wasn't but a few feet from my car and had a nice hit, dug down about 7 inches...and pulled a nice copper out. Couldn't tell but I thought it was a Large Cent. <: I immediatly called AL..get down here, I just found a large cent...he lives 6 doors down from where I was.So Al shows up, doesn't even come over to say hi...just waves...a bit later, a nice hit, Out comes an 1817 Large Cent happydance02...and she is beautiful...EXCEPT the large scatch on her face from my shovel! :mad: :bangahead01: :ticked:. We got in the car and were going to a house. I pulled out the first large copper that I found to take a close look.....I see a date 1719 :shocked04:....nice old British Copper, in great shape too. We then hit the house. 11 wheats from the 1940/50s, some memorials, and a 2001 memorial...that made the 4 centuries, 1700, 1800, 1900, and 2000...thought that was kinda cool.

Also found 2 copper buttons, exactly the size of pennies, but thicker.

The midnight silver dance that Al and I did on Friday night paid off...I found my first 2 silvers for the year...2 silver Roosies! :happydance01:

It was a GGGGGGGRRRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTTT Day! :happydance01:

aloldstuff
03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Great hunt you had there Rob. Looks like the weather will be warmer this coming weekend. WOW a four cenutry copper day. Don't worry that elusive flying eagle is waiting for you somewhere. :omg:

angellionel
03-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Great day indeed! :happydance01: Those are sweet looking coppers. :grin: The silver isn't bad either. :smitten:

hockeyguy
03-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Sweet stuff there....nice job! 1700's is a great place to be! :callme:

tanacat
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
:clapping: Great finds!! 1719? :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

Love the details of your hunt :)

Midnight silver dance... lol Very cool thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
That is a fantastic day!! I would still be dancing :happydance01: Those coppers have great detail. Congrats on the silver too! :)

jkress
03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
:shocked04: That is an awesome day of hunting Rob. :peace: Two LC's... one a 1719. <:
It would be a dream hunt in my book. Congrats on the silver too.

What is this Midnight silver dance you speak of? I could use some help lately. :rolleyes: lol

Great hunt!

RobW
03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Thank you everyone. It was indeed a great day, one of my top 3 days.

The silver dance.....well.....first you need a full bottle of burbon, drink the entire thing, then a camp fire, then you strip naked and dance in circles (I made Al wear a loin cloth)..chanting Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver...etc. lol

del
03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
wow Rob nice King George I copper :smitten: its one of the early type too. as far as the scratched large cent 8/ a very wise man shared his secret to never scratch another coin again...
[size=1:crazy:t]dig bigger holes lol lol lol
just imagine how bad you'd feel if that was a draped bust quarter :girlcry:
all in all your right it was a great day , huge congrats man |:confused:) |:confused:)

The silver dance.....well.....first you need a full bottle of burbon, drink the entire thing, then a camp fire, then you strip naked and dance in circles (I made Al wear a loin cloth)..chanting Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver...etc. lol

:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: i bet ya George is doing something similar too , the detecting gods are favoring him as of lately

RobW
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Was that wiseman George? I've seen his holes :shocked04:

This was an odd dig...it was a horizontal, going into the side of the dirt, not down into it, so it was hard to tell :dontknow:...unfortunatly, I was about that much off 8/

del
03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Was that wiseman George? I've seen his holes :shocked04:

:shocked04: God no not George he just gouged a copper a couple of weeks ago , the way he hacks at the ground like a drunken lumberjack its amazing that more of his coins arn't maimed. lol rofl rofl

staydetuned
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
The silver dance.....well.....first you need a full bottle of burbon, drink the entire thing, then a camp fire, then you strip naked and dance in circles (I made Al wear a loin cloth)..chanting Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver, sil, sil sil, Silver...etc.
rofl rofl

Might have to try that one soon...

Hey, congrats on the sweet coppers with some silver icing!

Salty Dog
03-28-2011, 03:22 PM
:shocked04: God no not George he just gouged a copper a couple of weeks ago , the way he hacks at the ground like a drunken lumberjack its amazing that more of his coins arn't maimed. lol rofl rofl
Now that is funny,don't care who you are, rofl rofl ,congrats on the coppers,thats a hunt of a life time in one day :happydance01:,well earned might i add thumbsup01

JTGOLD
03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
nice bunch of finds,wtg.

nachotreasure
03-28-2011, 06:05 PM
B-E-A-UTIFUL COINS! My first two coppers have lesche marks in them too...live and learn... :beatdeadhorse: Keep 'em coming! Jeff

coinnut
03-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Scratching some coins is just part of the game 8/ Happens to everyone except Del, since he can't find any to scratch rofl rofl..... :shocked01: rofl Nice hunt and congrats on getting them coppas thumbsup01 I guess you can never underestimate a site's potential until you give it a try. I'm glad you did hit it :clapping: I'm gonna assume that you feel a bit more comfortable with ET now??

del
03-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Scratching some coins is just part of the game 8/ Happens to everyone except Del, since he can't find any to scratch rofl rofl..... :shocked01: rofl

:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: wow ... ouch :mad: hey try to raise those punches a little :blackeye:, buddy ... :boxing: :boxing: lol lol lol

coinnut
03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: wow ... ouch :mad: hey try to raise those punches a little :blackeye:, buddy ... :boxing: :boxing: lol lol lol

Yes ma'am. :embarrassed: But I'm gonna buy you a copper soon :popcorn:

zrickkid
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
nice coins and the witty banter of our members made this post a real hoot. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Carver
03-29-2011, 06:48 AM
You are making some great finds Rob!! Congrats :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

RobW
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
You are making some great finds Rob!! Congrats :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I'm only getting lucky...opportunity hunting

The spots we reserached this winter haven't panned out :ticked: :bangahead01:

tanacat
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Where's the video? :huh: rofl

Toadman
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Very nice hunt !! :peace: :peace: :peace:

odave
03-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Wow that's an old one thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01...Congrats thumbsup01

Civil War Nut
04-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Nice finds Rob. Keep it up. I see why you moved up there now.

CoinageBritannia
06-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Yes it is indeed a George I Copper Farthing dated 1719. HH

Neil in West Jersey
06-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Nice finds! Does your camera have a Macro mode? It is the tulip icon on the camera.