PDA

View Full Version : A Sterling Day!

RobW
03-28-2011, 08:59 AM
On Sunday, Al and I headed out, of course he again needed a bit more time, so I went back to where I had dug the large coppers the day before, no such luck, but did manage a few bucks in Clad while I waited for him. We went out and hit some field we were hitting last year, it was cold :frozen: and the finds.....what finds?...all I found was a bird nest...so we left for a bit. We went to a local town hall that Al wanted to hit that they are doing some work on. I was hesitant, and there was a cop sitting in his car right next to it. So I approached the cop and told him our intentions, he said it was not a problem, just cover your holes.....cool, I felt MUCH better. We were not there long but I scored a silver Roosie.

We Went back to the fields, I had a nice silver hit. Toook awhile to find it Pulled out this thin what I believe to be a buckle that was literally up and down like this (I) in the dirt about 6 inches down. I at first didn't see any markings, I asked Al what he thought, we both believed it to be silver, then I saw the stamp..Sterling :happydance01:. Hunted for awhile......and awhile...nothing coming up...getting tired and cold :frozen:...and hungary....then a interesting hit 12-21/24, was thinking something other than what came out, glad I dug...186? indian...well that completed my series for the weekend...but still missing that flying eagle.

aloldstuff
03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Rob, it was cold but fun. We really should time our hunts so that we can actually dig in the ground

RobW
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Rob, it was cold but fun. We really should time our hunts so that we can actually dig in the ground

Apparently the birds don't have a problem, and they don't have steel shovels!

Ill Digger
03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice finds!
Well at least you know the IH is a 1864 or older thumbsup01 Congrats on the fattie! I haven't found one of those yet crying01
I wounder if the sterling item could've been part of a match safe? Either way it's a cool find too!
Congrats :grin:

RobW
03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice finds!
Well at least you know the IH is a 1864 or older thumbsup01 Congrats on the fattie! I haven't found one of those yet crying01
I wounder if the sterling item could've been part of a match safe? Either way it's a cool find too!
Congrats :grin:

Match safe :thinkingabout:...that's an interesting thought, could be...either way it's silver :cheesysmile:

coinnut
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
You are a detecting machine lately lol Nice going :clapping: Nice tap too. If that case held matches and was the bottom half, it should have ridges that were put there as the striker for the match. Great day and hang in there, the weather is gonna get better soon. ;)

Carver
03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Cool finds for sure :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

giant056
03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Great score on the 2 nice silvers thumbsup01