PDA

View Full Version : Separated after 100 years

jkress
03-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I keep putting these two nickels together and ponder the reason that caused them to land on the ground like this around a 100 years ago. I found these two nickels last Friday ( Here (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=4935.0) ) and have been captivated by them ever since.

Keep in mind that 100 years is loosely based on the condition of both coins. The 1893 looks to have been in circulation for around 15-20 years. The 1901... maybe 8-10 years, or less. Just guessing.

Dropping coins from a pocket at waist height would doubtfully allow them to land on top of each other. More likely they fell out of on open purse laying on the ground or perhaps from a pocket of a person sitting on the ground... hard to say for sure. :confused: But fun to imagine. Also fun to think that every coin in the pocket or purse was a modern day keeper. :drool:

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-19.jpg

But once on the ground, they did manage to sink together in each others close presence for about a century until a metal detector revealed a whisper of their presence.

Their exact positions together for about 100 years...
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-20.jpg

The multidimensional history our hobby brings to the present is simply fascinating. :)

Ill Digger
03-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Thats one thing about this hobby. At least for me. It's created more questions than answers :thinkingabout: :confused: lol
But it sure is fun!!! :smitten:
And I've probably learned more about this countries history in the last two years of MDing than I did all through school!!

Cheap Thrills
03-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Nice finds and pictures :clapping: I haven't found many V nickels but they sure have been exciting finds for me , Congrats on 2 nice ones . :yes:

del
03-29-2011, 02:42 AM
hey Joe mens pockets were very short in the pants (that was the style back then ) and sitting down or laying back on a blanket will surely empty the contents . George and i had a place where there were more multi-coin holes than individual dropped coins in and area and it was from that time period too (late 1890's to about 1920) there were picnic spots and the couple or family would take time out of the park and lay a blanket down and open the picnic basket and a pocket spill would be created. my best spill i found at that area was 3 barber quarters , two barber dimes an indian and a v-nickle all in the same hole . :smitten: :smitten: a great day . congrats on the 2 v-nickles and keep hitting that area some more .

Dan

Evan/tn
03-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Yep sitting on the ground will lose some change most the time,it's nice when you get a little added bit of mystery to a find 8)

RaZR
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I've only found one instance of two coins resting on each other in one hole so far.
A dime resting on a nickle. And it gave the icon for both on the DFX. It confused me but i dug anyhow. The nickle had a shiny circle the size of the dime on it and that side of the dime was shiny. I like your set of twins better! :loveit:

Epi-hunter
03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Very nice nickels Joe, and I love your post :yes:

I have found coins resting on top of each other, but never that old or that interesting :) Great finds! :happydance01:

Toadman
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Love them old spills !! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02 happydance02

russellt
03-29-2011, 06:43 PM
those are very nice. for real..maybe the owner was shooting craps . got busted and forgot to grab the 2 5 pieces on the way out.. they were playas rofl

pulltabsteve
03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Sweet find on the double nickels Joe! WOW :clapping:

SeabeeRon
03-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Great post Joe!! :clapping: It's stuff like this that keeps the hobby so interesting! How did the stuff we find get there??!!?

v3ikid
03-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Nice old coins in great shape. What more can you ask. :clapping:

jkress
03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
And I've probably learned more about this countries history in the last two years of MDing than I did all through school!!

Me too. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks for the info Dan. There really is no end to your knowledge. |:confused:)

my best spill i found at that area was 3 barber quarters , two barber dimes an indian and a v-nickle all in the same hole . :smitten: :smitten:

:shocked04: Talk about a fun dig. :drool: :drool: :drool: You got them all right there. Were you posting at that time? Would love to see a link to that post. :yes:

Carver
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Those old coin spills are like a kid opening presents at Christmas!!!!

odave
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
It does make You stop and think :thinkingabout:..great find and Pic's thumbsup01

nachotreasure
03-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Great job on the V nickels! Old picnic groves here have been replaced by housing developments so finding one is next to impossible. I'm not giving up though. I see posts like yours and it makes me look for the groves that much harder. Thanks for posting those great pics! Happy hunting! Be safe! Jeff

exsquid
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Sweet way to find double nickels...Especially a couple V's...how much sweeter can it get.... :smitten: