PDA

View Full Version : A first for me

Ill Digger
03-30-2011, 11:04 PM
A friend and I went back to a farm house that we only hunted last year for about 2 hours. Today we hunted it for another 2 or 3 hours. The first good find was a 1924 Dog Tax !! I love finding the dog taxes!! The next find was the triangle thing with a E or a M or a 3 or a W or what ever on it. lol :dontknow: Any ideas anyone? :confused: Then the find of the night! I found my first toe tap or toe plate or what ever!! lol I know you relic hunters find these quite often but here in the mid-west they're fairly rare. At least they are with me and the guys I hunt with lol If I didn't find anything else the rest of the night I would've been content with the dog tax and toe tap. But on my way back to the truck I decided to hunt the other side of the drive way. We've never really looked over there. That's when I got a 11-40, 11-41 at 6 inches. I was expecting a wheat but out pops a silver dime!! :shocked04: Sweet! A 1956 Rosie!! I rechecked the hole and there was a aluminum strip in there too. I figure that's what was dragging the numbers down. But the sound gave it away!! thumbsup01

The keepers :)
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0630.jpg

My first toe tap! Pat DEC [size=6pt](nail hole)7.1858 !!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/IMG_0631.jpg

Thanks for lookin' & HH :grin:

del
03-31-2011, 02:34 AM
hey Tim nice dog tag , i like finding older ones too :beerbuddy: yup toe taps are a good sign and its nice to see the patent date too. i wish i could shed some light on the triangular item its a curious piece . congrats on a good hunt :clapping: :clapping:.

Dan

wild willy
03-31-2011, 05:29 AM
wow i didnt know toe taps were dated? willy

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

me neither.1st i seen of one with a patent date.nice finds.hope ya get an ID on the triangular piece ;)

Toadman
03-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Nice hunt for sure dude.... :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy:

Civil War Nut
04-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Nice finds ID. I ant ever even looked at all the ones that I have found to see if there is a date on them. How about that, learn something every day..

coinnut
04-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Congrats on the toe tap and the dog tag :clapping: I like the early ones too. So far an 1899 is the earliest I have found. I like them because they are creative in how some are made. Like one made from doggie bones I found lol Never knew that those taps were pattented in the first place :confused: Better check ours out, but I bet the colonial ones were not dated. Great couple of finds :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice relics for the collection and congrats on another silver Tim.

tanacat
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh I thought they were 'heel' plates? I didn't know there were dates on them either....there's so much to learn :yes:

Love the old dog tag! I have about 30 or so so far lol I collect everything anymore. Let us know if you figure out the triangular thingy, I'll keep an eye out...

Congrats on the silver! :clapping:

jkress
04-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice bunch of cool keepers Tim! :clapping:
Love the dog tax tag. They are very nice items for the collection. I started to really enjoy finding them last year and love when I get them now. :smitten:
Congrats on the surprise silver. To be honest, many times I'm not sure if a wheat or a silver dime is going to pop out of the hole. :embarrassed: They are really close on my machine.
The toe tap/plate is great... especially since it is dated. :happydance01:
A very fun hunt.

Ill Digger
04-01-2011, 11:23 PM

me neither.1st i seen of one with a patent date.

I ant ever even looked at all the ones that I have found to see if there is a date on them. How about that, learn something every day..

Never knew that those taps were pattented in the first place :confused: Better check ours out

I'm surprised to hear this coming from you guys!

Better check ours out, but I bet the colonial ones were not dated.

I was thinking the same thing :confused: They probably just dated these newer ones. lol
I'm curious to hear if the colonial ones are stamped with a Patent date :dontknow:
Thanks for looking & commenting everyone! thumbsup01