PDA

View Full Version : last cellar hunt of year

del
12-20-2009, 08:12 AM
well with a morning temp of about 12 degrees ( brrr was it cold) i went out early with Coinnut for a good 7 hour hunt because we knew the storm was a comming and it would probably be our last for some time :mad: :ticked: :bangahead01: . all i can say is dressing your machine warm is key and mine performed extremely well. i just recently recieved a new detector cover that i would recommend if your machine is subjected to possible scrapes or dust , dirt or cold temps.i put it to the test these last couple of hunts and was very satisfied thumbsup01. well anyway Goerge and i chose a site that has been good to us in the past and we worked them pretty hard before.hitting a site at different times of the year and ground conditions is something we do to squeak out those deeper and smaller targets out of an area. we cleaned these sites pretty well and unfortunetly no coppers just some buttons (mostly colonial) some huge dandies that were deep , the big one was on a pathway and was almost 12 inches deep :shocked04:( i took a measurement by putting the whole head of my relic shovel in the crater i dug and it was even with the ground) a few dropped musket balls , part of a shoe buckle and a nice little navy cuff button an oxknob , thats about it a good day and it was great to get out and swing the coil. George was convinced he located a cache :rolleyes: but it was frozen under some rocks lol so he boobie trapped it until the next thaw lol :tongue: (i'm sure its just junk but ya got to let him have something to cling onto until next year ) ;) :poke: well let the cabin fever begin because there is a $%#!-load of snow out there now , everyone stay warm and try to keep yourselves busy . thanks for looking
Dan

MNDigger
12-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Now that's my kind of hunt! Up early hunting all day in the cold! ;) Glad you guys were able to hunt this late into the year and congrats on the neat finds!

John M
12-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Nice hunt Dan,I'd take those finds any day.That Navy button looks to have a good amount of shine to it.Did you try any Aluminum Jelly on it to bring out the shine? Tooth brush some on let sit for a few minutes wash off,repeat if you want to.When done with it make a baking soda paste and rub on and let sit for a few minutes then wash and wipe dry.The baking soda will neutralize the acids and reactions that was going on after it should really shine.The thing to remember is only apply if it is gilted if not you can tear up a find.
Now it is time to go asphalt detecting because there is a ton fo snow outside.

OkieDigger
12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I love how some of those old buttons still have the gilt on them.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
sweet buttons!!!!! glad you guys were able to get out thumbsup01
mikey boy stiffed me cuz..his reason:huh: he was on a date.can you imagine blowing off the chance to find colonial artifacts cuz he was out with a woman the night before? :crazy: sticks my finger down my throat..how gross! rofl
anyways we got about 6 inches here so....there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for one or 2 more hunts.i'm not going down without a fight :poke:
if i tie G he have more to think about over the winter than his booby trapped cache of oxknobs :tongue: :twirlingeyes:
you pulled some sweet buttons to say the least thumbsup01
i already picked out 1st,2nd & 3rd place ribbons or trophies for the awards ceremony on dec 31st :drool:
nice hunt you guys!
have a very merry christmas and i pray next year is a happy,healthy one for you all and your families.
gonna be hard to top this years combined totals for sure. thumbsup01
dave

del
12-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Now that's my kind of hunt! Up early hunting all day in the cold! ;) Glad you guys were able to hunt this late into the year and congrats on the neat finds!

thanks Steve , i would of been out longer but i had to be home early my14 year old Daughter had a b-day sleep over party with 20 girls :shocked04: :bangahead01: :crazy: so i had to be home sooner to do the Dad stuff to make it happen . needles to say i should of rented a room at red roof inn or something to get any sleep last night lol

Nice hunt Dan,I'd take those finds any day.That Navy button looks to have a good amount of shine to it.Did you try any Aluminum Jelly on it to bring out the shine? Tooth brush some on let sit for a few minutes wash off,repeat if you want to.When done with it make a baking soda paste and rub on and let sit for a few minutes then wash and wipe dry.The baking soda will neutralize the acids and reactions that was going on after it should really shine.

hey John i used some CLR and a toothbrush to clean it , when i first dug it you couldn't even tell if there was any gold gilt on it , but it turned out pretty good . i'll have to try your method some time , thanks.

I love how some of those old buttons still have the gilt on them.

me to Dale , especially the military ones.

anyways we got about 6 inches here so....there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for one or 2 more hunts.i'm not going down without a fight :poke:
if i tie G he have more to think about over the winter than his booby trapped cache of oxknobs :tongue: :twirlingeyes:
you pulled some sweet buttons to say the least thumbsup01
i already picked out 1st,2nd & 3rd place ribbons or trophies for the awards ceremony on dec 31st :drool:
nice hunt you guys!
have a very merry christmas and i pray next year is a happy,healthy one for you all and your families.
gonna be hard to top this years combined totals for sure. thumbsup01
dave

thanks Dave , i think were done unless some freak of nature melts this in the next week , i don't see it happening .

Islandhunter
12-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Looks like a great spot with some awful nice finds there.....hope you got that spot on your MUST hit list for the Spring!!

coinnut
12-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey Dan, nice looking concave button and real nice eagle cuff button. It was your button day lol Oh and real sweet ox knob ;). As for my cache?? If it ends up being one, you won't live it down.... ever rofl. These are my measly finds. I tried to dress them up as much as possible, but it didn't work :rolleyes: Them shotgun shells and bullets were a pain in the butt! I think the season is over, so CONGRATS on the copper crown thumbsup01 thumbsup01 :angelic: You earned it. We all did real well with 100 coppers. Not too shabby :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey Dan, nice looking concave button and real nice eagle cuff button. It was your button day lol Oh and real sweet ox knob ;). As for my cache?? If it ends up being one, you won't live it down.... ever rofl. These are my measly finds. I tried to dress them up as much as possible, but it didn't work :rolleyes: Them shotgun shells and bullets were a pain in the butt! I think the season is over, so CONGRATS on the copper crown thumbsup01 thumbsup01 :angelic: You earned it. We all did real well with 100 coppers. Not too shabby :yes:

i bought snow shoes!!!!! it's not over yet!!!!!! :cheesysmile: theres still a glimmer of hope i tell ya :crazy: lol i doubt it and congrats on the copper crown dan!
well officially it's yours on jan 1st.
george here's yours too!
and last but not least mine

coinnut
12-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Dave, that last trophy is kinda too sexy for this forum lol You sure picked a full figured one rofl Congrats on how well you did in the world of colonial hunting!! You learned a lot. Now it's time to pay homage to our detecting Gods and ask them for a good crop next season :crazy: Next year, I'm going after the Indian Crown :poke:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-21-2009, 04:42 AM
Hey Dave, that last trophy is kinda too sexy for this forum lol You sure picked a full figured one rofl Congrats on how well you did in the world of colonial hunting!! You learned a lot. Now it's time to pay homage to our detecting Gods and ask them for a good crop next season :crazy: Next year, I'm going after the Indian Crown :poke:

lol G yeah i couldn't find a classy one like you guys got.don't laugh at mine yet...it may be yours..cuz it ain't over yet bucko :poke:
what an incredible year we all had and i owe my rookie skills to you guys :yes: ;) thumbsup01
if i never asked dan down that first time to my sites ...i may still be park hunting and not have so many coppers in my collection and not to mention all the other neat stuff that i plucked from various cellar hole spots.
merry christmas to both of you and your family.as well as everyone else on this forum.
:smitten:

del
12-21-2009, 07:48 AM

thanks George but stop starring at my ox knob like that your making me uncomfortable :confused:
i like the batwing buckle i have yet to find one,wish ya found the rest of that pewter spoon . i' don't know about you but i was getting some serious depth , i think the ground conditions were about perfect for my program in the dfx , everything hit hard even that little cuff button was at 6 inches .we better do our homework this winter cause i want 40 coppers next year and i think thats a reach-able goal. 100 coppers is quite a feat for three guys great job to the both of you .

i bought snow shoes!!!!! it's not over yet!!!!!! :cheesysmile: theres still a glimmer of hope i tell ya :crazy:

Dave i'm expecting you to shovel the snow off peoples lawns of those colonial homes just to get an opportunity to dig some coppers lol ;) tell me the thought hasn't crossed your mind :confused: next year we'll have to come up with a point system for finds to mix it up and make it interesting.

what an incredible year we all had and i owe my rookie skills to you guys :yes: ;) thumbsup01
if i never asked dan down that first time to my sites ...i may still be park hunting and not have so many coppers in my collection and not to mention all the other neat stuff that i plucked from various cellar hole spots.
merry christmas to both of you and your family.as well as everyone else on this forum.
:smitten:

Dave you excelled at this type of detecting so well because you are very good with your machine and a very experienced detectorist in general , not to mention alot of perseverance and an obsession level that deserves therapy my friend :poke:

i got lucky with George :yes: because he just got a new machine (e-trac) at around the begining of the year and there was a transitional period , which he picked up very quickley on it thumbsup01 ( i'm was in awe at how fast he started to come around with the e-trac :shocked04:). i don't think i could of pulled it off if he would of still been using his dfx or started the e-trac another 4 or 5 months earlier ;). He's a fierce competitor that brings out your best , you step it up or go home with your tail between your legs . :crying02: thanks my friend

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks dan!
yeah the point system sounds like an interesting twist on things!
i think detecting with you guys has bumped up my competiveness a lot .
i learned quite a bit from you guys and what to look for on trails and driving in a car etc.signs of colonial activity and so forth.being able to identify finds instead of calling it a ? mark. i know we don't have all that many sites in my area and i hope in the spring if you come across some or do some research and pinpoint a few down here,would give me another opportunity to hunt with you guys some more. thanks again for being awesome partners and i enjoy the :bop: back n forth elbows :poke: in the threads.makes for a fun time! thumbsup01
gotta convince mikey to trudge through the snow this week one more time.one more hoorah to close out the season :crazy:
keep in touch
dave

coinnut
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
gotta convince mikey to trudge through the snow this week one more time.one more hoorah to close out the season :crazy:
dave

Forget about Mikey!!! He's in love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

It's almost time to take some shots of our best finds, our so-so finds, and all the junk that goes with it. lol This is the first year I kept everything, including the junk. This will show some of the people here who have never done cellar holes the junk we deal with lol :rolleyes: It's just as bad as parks, we just get different coins, that's all. A great year Dave and oh yes, the contest was over the minute you awarded the trophies rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Forget about Mikey!!! He's in love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

It's almost time to take some shots of our best finds, our so-so finds, and all the junk that goes with it. lol This is the first year I kept everything, including the junk. This will show some of the people here who have never done cellar holes the junk we deal with lol :rolleyes: It's just as bad as parks, we just get different coins, that's all. A great year Dave and oh yes, the contest was over the minute you awarded the trophies rofl

lol i had my fingers crossed when i posted them trophies.gonna be warmer later in the week and i'm gonna drag mikey by the earlobe to a few sites.ron wants to go to the ocean this weekend.a gold ring would be nice to end the year too.
all my junk brass and copper junk i dug probably is somebody's new faucet by now :yes: so i can't really show any junk pics,but i'll get some keeper shots up when you guys post
thumbsup01

del
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
lol i had my fingers crossed when i posted them trophies.gonna be warmer later in the week and i'm gonna drag mikey by the earlobe to a few sites.ron wants to go to the ocean this weekend.a gold ring would be nice to end the year too.
all my junk brass and copper junk i dug probably is somebody's new faucet by now :yes: so i can't really show any junk pics,but i'll get some keeper shots up when you guys post
thumbsup01

just be careful its cold enough to snap his earlobe off like a piece of peanut brittle Dave lol lol but knowing Mikey he would probably be smiling the whole time ;) hey does your machine act erratic ( very slow lcd screen, or alot of falsing tones)out in the cold for prolong hours , or do you cover the detector as well :huh: as far as the trophies are concerned hold off them and on the bowing until after my victory speech on the 1st of January :tongue: