PDA

View Full Version : relic hunt with Coinnut

del
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
well George and i was out at a familiar site by 6:30 a.m. :shocked04: :crazy: , it was a great day too the weather temp was pretty mild and ground conditions were about perfect .

this site was a large cellar that we picked up a few buttons last time but that was about it
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatesite2.jpg
with lots of room to explore :smitten:
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatesite2andG.jpg

but while we were there last time and just about to leave i noticed a small little possible site . this is the site we focused on at first
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatesite.jpg

right away i found a small tombac button at about 6 inches and a short while later i got another button sounding target again around 6 inches but to my surprise out came a coin looking item . but again it read like a shotgun signal or small button . George and i agreed it was a coin but most likely a crude counterfiet copper.i worked my way around the other side of the site and about an hour or two later had a very decent sounding target but it sounded shallow and i got an overload showing on the dfx . i pinpointed it at only about 2 inches so i dig the usually large hole expecting maybe a large piece of modern trash or brass scrap and this is what i turn over in the hole
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplateinthehole.jpg
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :omg: :shocked04:stretcher: happydance02 :happydance01: <: :shocked04: :drool: :drool: :smitten: an early militia hat plate :loveit: :loveit: i just could'nt believe it as i've been wanting one of these for many years . i immediately went over to George still holding my camera and i couldn't keep from grinning :grin: :grin:
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/hatplatejustpickedup.jpg

the rest of the site didn't give up that much at all and my take after was just a few buttons , a pocket watch back , a complete iron spoon and small buckle
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/april2nd-11finds1.jpg
heres the copper its pretty smooth but it looked likea King George II counterfiet
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/smoothKingGeorgecounterfietcopper1.jpg

i haven't researched the plate to much but it looks about 1810 to 1820 in age and i'm pretty sure its a militia plate and not regular army , these were made from thinly stamped brass and were usually silver washed (it's kind of like plating). they were worn on large hats called shakos and i haven't seen alot of them found but the ones i have seen on other forums were pretty incomplete and bent up , so i feel extremely lucky to have almost a complete one thats not to bent up. :cheering: :cheering:
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/earlymilitiahatplate31.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/earlymilitiahatplate21.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/earlymilitiahatplate1.jpg
i love old military items like this :yes:
hey thanks for looking .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
WOW! :omg: that shako hat plate is SWEET! a huge congrats to ya Dan! thats gonna look sweet in a case! nice job man! thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
04-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Wow!!! :shocked04: :cheering: That is an incredible find Dan! :omg: Congratulations!! It is beautiful. I can't even imagine finding something like that. Way to go!!! <:

sniffy
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
That is incredible! I would have spazzed if I found that.

del
04-02-2011, 06:55 PM
WOW! :omg: that shako hat plate is SWEET! a huge congrats to ya Dan! thats gonna look sweet in a case! nice job man! thumbsup01

thanks Dave , i agree.

Wow!!! :shocked04: :cheering: That is an incredible find Dan! :omg: Congratulations!! It is beautiful. I can't even imagine finding something like that. Way to go!!! <:

thank you Angie

That is incredible! I would have spazzed if I found that.

i did Jesse lol lol and thanks

KirkPA
04-02-2011, 06:56 PM
This is why I come over to this relic forum! :omg: thumbsup01 Congrats on hitting a rare artifact, Dan! You guys have some great Colonial sites in CT. I always enjoy seeing what you will dig next. :peace: :clapping: Maybe you will dig George Washington's wooden teeth next. :tongue: rofl Say Hi to George for me, my friend. thumbsup01

Kirk :groovy:

del
04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
This is why I come over to this relic forum! :omg: thumbsup01 Congrats on hitting a rare artifact, Dan! You guys have some great Colonial sites in CT. I always enjoy seeing what you will dig next. :peace: :clapping: Maybe you will dig George Washington's wooden teeth next. :tongue: rofl Say Hi to George for me, my friend. thumbsup01

thanks Kirk , GW's wooden teeth huh :thinkingabout: only if he has any silver or copper fillings in them lol lol i sure wish you guys would post some of your righteous finds over here . the G man should be on here shortly but i'll say hey for ya .

odave
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Holy Cow Dan <: That Hat Plate is Awesome !!
Fantastic find and Pic's !!! Sweet :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

angellionel
04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
That plate looks great Dan! :clapping: I bet you will have that baby in a display. :smitten:

coinnut
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Thank God I didn't find that hat plate or I'm not sure where my body would have washed up lol Congrats on a phenomenal Find :peace: That site is kinda stingy but it gave up a relic that makes one's year :clapping: I think the rest of the hunt for you was only a blur rofl I had a good hunt today but no hat plates for me rofl Ended up with a nice Indian and a bunch of buttons. I wish I had a camera to to take your picture when you had that plate in your hand. I guess these will have to do :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :girlcry: :girlcry: :cheering: :cheering: happydance02 happydance02 Congrats again...you deserve it. ;)

Say Hi to George for me, my friend. thumbsup01

Hey Kirk, I got my beatings today :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: rofl Keep swinging until you hit big thumbsup01

del
04-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Holy Cow Dan <: That Hat Plate is Awesome !!
Fantastic find and Pic's !!! Sweet :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

thanks Odave

That plate looks great Dan! :clapping: I bet you will have that baby in a display. :smitten:

yes it will Angel , a centerpiece for sure .thanks

|:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Thank God I didn't find that hat plate or I'm not sure where my body would have washed up lol Congrats on a phenomenal Find :peace: That site is kinda stingy but it gave up a relic that makes one's year :clapping: I think the rest of the hunt for you was only a blur rofl I had a good hunt today but no hat plates for me rofl Ended up with a nice Indian and a bunch of buttons. I wish I had a camera to to take your picture when you had that plate in your hand. I guess these will have to do :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :girlcry: :girlcry: :cheering: :cheering: happydance02 happydance02 Congrats again...you deserve it. ;)

yes i'm not sure i would of contained myself from the urge to destroy and dispose of the Coinnut body lol lol thanks George it was very cool to have you there to show it to right then and there buddy. :beerbuddy: hey congrats on the indian and the assortment of buttons any designed ones :huh:

i found a picture of one close to mine still on a hat , it has to date close to the war of 1812 and a picture of one nice and shiney

pulltabsteve
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Dan, thats an amazing find! WTG. You deserve it my friend!!! |:confused:) :clapping: :peace:
[size=24pt]AMAZING!!!

Civil War Nut
04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
That is absolutely beautiful. Its going to be hard to beat that anyday. And I still LOVE that scenery.

jkress
04-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Wow... :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
Dan, that is an absolutely incredible find. <:
I can just imagine your surprise when you caught first glimpse of that baby.
Very happy to hear you finally found what you had on your wish list. That is such an old piece of history.
Well done sir. Love those great pictures too.

Ill Digger
04-03-2011, 01:49 AM
I think the rest of the hunt for you was only a blur rofl
I know it would've been for me! lol

the ones i have seen on other forums were pretty incomplete and bent up , so i feel extremely lucky to have almost a complete one thats not to bent up. :cheering: :cheering:

It looks like it's in really good shape Dan!! Awesome!!
Other than the small piece on the left, is it all there? Is the lower left corner just bent under?
Either way it's a awesome find!! :peace:
Congrats :grin:

del
04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Dan, thats an amazing find! WTG. You deserve it my friend!!! |:confused:) :clapping: :peace:
[size=24pt]AMAZING!!!

thank you Steve , i felt rewarded twice . once for the first copper in about 7 months :smitten: and then finding an item thats been on my all time want list :loveit: :smitten:

That is absolutely beautiful. Its going to be hard to beat that anyday. And I still LOVE that scenery.

thanks Evan , that means alot comming from you southern relic guys . i'm just waiting for you to pull up something really fantastic :beerbuddy:

Wow... :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:
Dan, that is an absolutely incredible find. <:
I can just imagine your surprise when you caught first glimpse of that baby.
Very happy to hear you finally found what you had on your wish list. That is such an old piece of history.
Well done sir. Love those great pictures too.

thanks Joe , i was very much stunned for a few moments :shocked01: :shocked01:

It looks like it's in really good shape Dan!! Awesome!!
Other than the small piece on the left, is it all there? Is the lower left corner just bent under?
Either way it's a awesome find!! :peace:
Congrats :grin:

hey Tim the small section on the left lower side that looks missing is but the rest of the edges and bottom left corner are intact and just curled behind . i was thinking about having it professionally straightened out for my display.
thanks again Tim.

Evan/tn
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Absolutely beautiful hat plate Del :omg:
That's one sweet find :yes: Big congrats on a great hunt and find!!

zrickkid
04-03-2011, 12:37 PM
:envious: :cheesysmile: :envious: :clapping: |:confused:) :happydance01: <:

Toadman
04-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Awesome peice of history there dude !! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

RobW
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
WOW! That's a great find! Yeah, it was a good thing George didn't find it, he'd been strung up in the nearest tree lol
George actually told me that he had planted it there for you to find so that you would keep detecting with him and not leave him at home lol

The rest of the finds are nothing to sneeze at either!

milco
04-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Congrats on an amazing find!

del
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Absolutely beautiful hat plate Del :omg:
That's one sweet find :yes: Big congrats on a great hunt and find!!

thank you very much Evan/Tn and Zrickkid

Awesome peice of history there dude !! :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

thanks Rick , i'm waiting for you to hit your groove and pull up some nice goods . :cheering:

WOW! That's a great find! Yeah, it was a good thing George didn't find it, he'd been strung up in the nearest tree lol
George actually told me that he had planted it there for you to find so that you would keep detecting with him and not leave him at home lol

The rest of the finds are nothing to sneeze at either!

thanks Rob this could have been yours as this was one of the spots we were going to take you to . still waiting for you to take us up on that invite sir.

and if George wants to plant stuff like this for me to find than i'm all for it
happydance02 :happydance01:

Congrats on an amazing find!

thank you very much Milco ;)

well i gently took a dry brush to this piece to get the loose dirt and grime off it , so i could get a really good picture to show of the detail with decent lighting . i've set started plans on getting it professionally straightened out in motion and soon will probably be sending it off . heres one more before picture before it comes back.

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/eaglehatplateat25.jpg

Dan

coinnut
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
That is the best overload signal trash I have ever seen lol Glad someone either missed it or decided it was too big, and must be a can rofl

del
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
That is the best overload signal trash I have ever seen lol Glad someone either missed it or decided it was too big, and must be a can rofl

hey now lets get this straight , it was an overload on the detector but sounded like a good target :yes: i just presumed it was junk or trash seeing it was so large of a target and so shallow , i just happen to dig these kind of targets in hopes that maybe its masking or hiding a good target near or under it . i agree someone else probably discounted it as junk and passed it by .

coinnut
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
i agree someone else probably discounted it as junk and passed it by .

That's who I was reffering to...not you ;) But it's even better looking now than when I saw it in person. What a nice strike.

RobW
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
thanks Rob this could have been yours as this was one of the spots we were going to take you to . still waiting for you to take us up on that invite sir.

AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Now you're teasing me! lol Soon, soon...Generally my wife only gives me until about 1 pm until the phone starts ringing for me to come home, and every weekend this month it seems there is some afternoon plan. :bangahead01: But she has said I can come play with you guys :yes:, just has to be a day she hasn't already scheduled for me.

Carver
04-09-2011, 07:35 AM
WOW Dan!!!!!! That is an incredible find!!!!! I have never seen one or heard of one. That has to be one of the rarest military finds out there!!!! BIG congrats on that one :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10: