PDA

View Full Version : Scouting out a new site

pulltabsteve
04-03-2011, 02:34 PM
After detecting for a few hours this morning, I wanted to check a new site I found. I pulled up and saw someone detecting the fence line. I sat there for 5 minutes or so just watching. I dont often see other people detecting open fields around here. I decided to walk over to him and see how he was making out.

We said our hellos and I saw he was using a V3i. I asked how he liked it. He said he had it for about a month and before it he used his XLT. I told him I detect too and we talked for an hour about machines and hunt sites. It was like we've been friends for years.

His name was Sal and he's been detecting for about 40 years. He told me about 10 years ago he and a friend went to a site in Brooklyn. There used to be a hotel on the site from the 1800s. 1 day his friend found a jar of coins. ALL SEATEDS :clapping: Then a few weeks later they found a tin filled with more coins. Seateds, barbers, Large cents :cheering: He also found a $1 gold coin. He said he hasn't had a chance to get back in 10 years.

Im a pretty good judge of people. Some people you meet you just know are BSers. Others are genuine. Sal is the real deal. I gave him my card. We'll be getting together for a hunt soon.

You just meet the greatest people in this hobby!

odave
04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
That's cool You've met a new hunting Pal Steve thumbsup01
Hope You both post some good finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01

del
04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
he been detecting for 40 years :omg: , wow he must be old like Coinnut lol rofl it great to meet new people especially with so much experience to share.

Spike
04-04-2011, 11:50 AM
he been detecting for 40 years :omg: , wow he must be old like Coinnut lol rofl it great to meet new people especially with so much experience to share.
rofl rofl :blackeye: lol

RobW
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Yeah, but George doesn't look his age......really...I think it's the pony tail :dontknow: Maybe I need to grow one..... :thinkingabout: oh wait there's the wife \:hammer:

RobW
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Forgot to actually respond to the post...too busy making fun of George lol

That's a great story. Kinda like how I met Al...he was coming down the road in one direction, and I was going in the other, our paths crossed...and we've been happily detecting ever since :kiss: :smitten: rofl lol

li tom
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Man after those finds how could have stayed away for 10years! :confused:

russellt
04-04-2011, 08:16 PM
no doubt . i would have never left that place .... good for you both

Toadman
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Very cool Steve !!

coinnut
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
he been detecting for 40 years :omg: , wow he must be old like Coinnut lol rofl

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: Old?? :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: I'm not old, just cranky lol