PDA

View Full Version : E-trac training grounds

Viking
04-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Got out with my E-trac for four hours today before the snow came. I've only used it for about 20 hours so I went to a school built in the 70's to practice finding clad and getting used to what the E-trac is telling me. I rescued 37 coins totaling exactly $4.00.

It was a productive morning in terms of bonding with my machine. I found three deep cans, but now I know what to look for so that it hopefully won't happen as much. Also found a 6 rusted nail at about 9 deep. That wasn't fun to dig (soil was hard packed clay, which is really, really difficult to fit back into the hole once it's out), but again I learned a few things. Anyways, I'm going to keep logging hours with it so that some day I can use it to find the oldies that are hiding out in the heavily hunted areas. I'm not there yet though... :daydream:

Carver
04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
That's a good take for sure

Spike
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
You are well on your way you have to dig junk to know what it sounds like and on the cans :mad: I found if you hold your detector way off the ground and it still sounds good its most time a can or other big junk ;)

Epi-hunter
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
You are on your way... the E-Trac is a great machine. You will love it. :)

odave
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Looks like You're doing well with it thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
Congrats on the finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01

RobW
04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
It's a tough machine to learn, and if you want the goodies....those won't be the last cans you dig lol

Viking
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
It's a tough machine to learn, and if you want the goodies....those won't be the last cans you dig lol

Ha, I bet! Cans were sounding good and were falling on the Fe 12 line (~CO 41). I knew I was in trouble when I'd dig down 6 inches and my X-1 probe was telling me that my target was basically to all sides of the hole. :bangshead02:

I also felt like nickel signals were being shown as deeper on the depth scale then they were in reality. Twice I cut a 3-4 plug (because the depth scale showed the signal to be about 1/4-1/2 way down) and got frustrated because I couldn't get a response from my probe down-hole. Both times the target was only an inch down. It wasn't this way with the other clad coins, just nickels. Anybody else ever notice this or am I going crazy? :crazy:

RobW
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Depth scale be right ? Whah? On an E-Trac.....no, never, Worse one I've ever had on a machine

But I never dig nickles, not because I don't want to, but I don't want to dig that many pull tabs lol I did get one yeasterday, but only because it was in the same hole with 4 quarters :yes:

coinnut
04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
You will get what the E Trac is telling you after a while. You are doing what should be done to learn any machine....Detect With It!!! lol A lot of people want to read everything on it and never get out in the field. I read something that catches my interest and then try it in the field. This system has worked for me. Here's a hint on getting the dirt back in the hole. When I dig parks, it seems that there is always more dirt to put back than was taken out lol That is because you can't compact it as well as nature did. So I stopped trying to fight it and take a hand full of dirt and whip it around the general area. If you toss some of it away, (you won't see any of it), you can put the rest in the hole and the plug will actually sit a bit lower than the surrounding grass, and the mowers won't catch it :yes:

Viking
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Not a bad technique, coinnut! Twice I had to partly fill the towel that I use to place cuttings on, and walk over to a fence post to redeposit the extra dirt. I felt like Tim Robbins in the Shawshank Redemption, shaking bits of rock and gravel around the school yard where I was detecting at! rofl

russellt
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
looks like your doing well with your new steed