PDA

View Full Version : New ground = new silver!!! Lucky triple 7!

Jason in Enid
12-22-2009, 05:50 PM
background....

A couple months ago, before Sanborn changed thier password, I was studying some maps for a nearby town. One town I found had a public pool on a 30's-40's map. it was there as far back as the early 20's. Then I looked on Google Earth, and found the pool was still there, and the grassy area around it was still almost the same. But, being in another town I wasn't in any hurry to run over there when I have places just that old in my own town.

Today.... I had to get some presents to a friend up in Ponca City, so I decided I would take the back highway home and come through this town. I had my detector in the truck anyway. Now, I didn't think I would get the chance to hunt today, on the eve of the winter storm. I had a lot of errands but I decided to stop just to get a feel for the place. The size isn't big at all, maybe a decent sized home yard in area. I spent just maybe, 20-30 minutes here. I made 2 very slow strips over a small spot. The ground is butter-soft loam, with tree roots on the surface, so that means no fill.

My first hit was a surface clad dime within seconds of starting. One minute later I found a 1947 wheat at maybe 3 inches. Then a series of more surface clad dimes, followed by well worn but still beautiful 1917 merc from 4 - 5 inches. Then I got a great signal, right next to junk. I couldn't get a pinpoint seperation, then just on the other side I got another good signal but I could isolate it. I pulled out a 1927 Wheat. I gave up on the unknown, I'll dig out the trash then get the coin next trip. So all three coins ended in 7, which makes a lucky 777 for me!

The trash level is fairly light, and I didn't dig a single piece of junk during my quick cherry-picking hunt.

I will be hitting every square inch of this place, from every direction until I can't get any more out of it. Just have to work between the weather and my work schedule!

The dime is in both picks, but it's the same coin.

bmattioli
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Ooh how Nice! Good pulls for a winter hunt Jason.. Keep that site in mind because there is sure to be more there.. Nice short hunt for ya..

marchas45
12-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Great finds on your new site Jason bet you can't wait to get back there. thumbsup01

coinnut
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Well there's a lesson in there somewhere:huh: lol If you think of a spot ---go get it!!! :yes: Glad no one beat you to it. I bet it's on your priority list now. Great little hunt. Happy for you that the ground was still soft. thumbsup01

randy
12-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Sweet! Its nice to see people still pulling silver this time of year. Looks like a great spot.

angellionel
12-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I like that merc. It's a nice oldie. It sounds like that area will yield some more goodies, silver among them. The location would definitely be on top of my list. :grin: I hope you are able to get back there when you have some time to work it well.

del
12-23-2009, 05:43 AM
hey i'm just glad to see someone pulling silver this late in the season , congrats Jason and hope you get alot more from this great sounding spot . :yes:

Epi-hunter
12-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Congratulations on the finds! At least someone is still finding silver this season! A very nice older merc... definitely hit that place again!

MNDigger
12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Congrats on the nice old Merc!