PDA

View Full Version : Just a Wall Flower

aloldstuff
04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Went out last night and got a lonely rosie, 1946, hense wall flower. did some curbing in the neighbor, had to honor a request that I not do this in front of her house(nice little ol lady). I had to mention that this was city property and I was within my legal rights to be there, but I would honor her request. She said that her husband had seeded and there was not a seed to be seen, so I told her that she did not have to lie to me, that I would be moving on. I think I am going to get copies of the city laws pertaining to the tree belt and just hand them out to anybody that seems to think that this is there property. What do you think??

Epi-hunter
04-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Just to give a different perspective on it, I can understand why people have a hard time with this concept. I think that in most towns the homeowner is required to provide upkeep to the grassline between the sidewalk and the curb. Even though technically it's not their property, most homeowners would consider it to be part of their yard, and it would be the grass that they maintain that is being cut and dug.

Perhaps letting the homeowner know your intent before you detect the area would help. If you have permission from the city to be there they technically can't throw you off, but one of the homeowners could call the city officials and at that point they could potentially ask you to stop detecting city property. If you ask first, everyone is clear up front about what is going to happen, and it gives the people who don't want you there an opportunity to say so before you start digging. Just my two cents. :yes:

aloldstuff
04-06-2011, 08:22 AM
thanks for that input, duly noted. I don't go on nice tree belts but this was just dirt and crab grass.. honey will get more bees

Epi-hunter
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Good point; I would imagine it makes a lot of difference where you are at. :) In some areas people would likely not even notice or care if you were there.

My mom lives in a house in the historic part of town (newer house though with fill brought into the yard, unfortunately). But she manicures her yard to the point where she won't even let me detect the curb area lol I have been dying to; there is probably great stuff there.

RobW
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, you're a wall flower alright! Go off detecting and leave me at home...funny, you always seem to find silver when you don't invite me :thinkingabout: Yeah, I know, I need to get that letter from the mayor as he promised..it's on the list. ;)

Carver
04-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Good find on the Rosie,,,,I've always wanted to do the strip next to the curb in town,,,,,I've done a few and felt eyes on me all the time

odave
04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I would honor the Peoples request not to hunt in front of their property
It will keep the peace and keep the hobby safer thumbsup01
Congrats on the Silver Rosie thumbsup01 thumbsup01