PDA

View Full Version : I found another old schoolhouse spot

Carver
04-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Got permission to hunt an old house yard that my first cousin owns. Rental property. First pic is of my finds there. Managed to find a silver Rosie and my first reasonably intact harmonica.
Then my cousin stopped by to talk to me and said that he just remembered that there used to be an old one room schoolhouse just south of the house. We walked out to the field and he showed me where he had done a bunch of bulldozing,,,making a terrace,,,right where the old schoolhouse had been, He said he moved a foot of topsoil off first ,,made the terrace, and moved the foot of dirt back on top,,,spreading it out.
So,, I gave it a try. I had not made 2 swings with the detector when I got a penny hit and dug a wheat,,,couple more swings and dug an Indian <: <: <: <:
The pics are from 3 different hunts there. So far I have found 6 wheats,,,6 Indians,,,2 Vnickels,,,,(including my second 1885) <: <: <: <: <: a shield nickel,,,no date,,,an 1894 S Barber Qtr. and a 1912 Barber dime :happydance01: :happydance01:
The chemicals in this field are really hard on the coins,,,,,the 1885 V nickel (which is THE key date V) is pretty much toast, even the silver is rough :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
That's OK though,,,I'll take what I can get!!!! For those of you who have detected farm fields before you know how hard it is to detect a chiseled corn field,,,it really wears you out :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Anyway,,,I need to give this field the once over before they get it planted,,,then maybe again in the fall!!!!

Thanks for looking folks!!!!

Dan

mike l
04-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Cool digs, I bet there is a lot more there, most likely never detected before. I think in the old days everyone played harmonica lol, I find those reeds everywhere.

silver star
04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Big congrats on your finds. :clapping: You should go back there must be some more goodies left. Best of luck and HH. Mike

Carl in Louisiana
04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Very Nice diggens !! :shocked04: Bummer that the key date V is in such rough shape..... crying01

jkress
04-08-2011, 08:29 PM
he just remembered that there used to be an old one room schoolhouse just south of the house.

I bet your ears perked when you heard that. lol Amazing how that one little detail resulted in some fantastic finds. :happydance01:
Lots of awesome coins from you new little honey hole. Talk about some oldies. :clapping: Congrats!!

coinnut
04-08-2011, 08:58 PM
TWO 1885's?? :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: The wonder I can't find one, you have them all lol Nice surprise to get a schoolhouse and have the dirt redone for you :clapping: That is the second Barber Quarter I have seen having the scarcer variety. The S mintmark is all the way to the right. It is supposed to be centered below the tailfeathers. Don't know how much it increases the value, as the Redbook doesn't mention that variety. Nice hunt and I can't wait to see some more :daydream:

Ill Digger
04-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll bet that dirt has never seen a metal detector :shocked04: :shocked04: <: :happydance01: happydance02
Wow this'll be fun!! I'll be watching your posts for your return visits ! :drool: :drool:
Awesome finds so far!!
Congrats :grin:

milco
04-08-2011, 09:35 PM
What an awesome bunch of finds!

odave
04-08-2011, 09:37 PM
:perfect10: Awesome Silver ,Wheats ,and IH pennies and Nickels Dan !!
Way to go Buddy !! Great Looking old Coins Dan thumbsup01
Continued success hunting there Buddy thumbsup01 thumbsup01
Sweet Bunch of finds My Friend :beerbuddy: thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
I think there is lots more there waiting for You thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave :beerbuddy:

exsquid
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
WooHoo Dan....That is GREAT finds...

I supposed to hit an old school house field area in the morning...I could only hope for such cool finds... WTG!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance01: :happydance01:

Jeff (or)
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Congrats on the hunt! great finds! :beerbuddy:

zrickkid
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Sweet finds Carver. Hit that field hard until they plant it, who knows what else lies beneath that soil. :angelic:

cliffy
04-09-2011, 02:19 AM
You all pull the old coins out like pulltabs.. crazy hunt and congrats! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Salty Dog
04-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Congrats Dan,sounds like a real hot spot for future hunts :clapping:

Snickerdoodle
04-09-2011, 04:25 AM
WTG Carver nice finds :happydance01:

Evan/tn
04-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Now that's a great hunt Dan,congrats on all the nice old coins :peace: yep that place is sure worth going back to,never have found a barber quarter,that's a nice one!

russellt
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
:perfect10:. yea baby ..... awesome . it does not get much better than that .. fo real do :cheering:

Epi-hunter
04-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Fantastic!!! :cheering: You definitely found a sweet spot... keep hitting that spot! I do know from experience that detecting around the corn stalks is tough. :hairpulling: