PDA

View Full Version : A Lot Of Work But It Was Worth It

fsa46
04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
I have been pulling some nice finds from an old night spot that has been knocked down and fill in many years ago and is grown over badly.

I have been doing well ( with my MXT Pro ) on a couple slopes and noticed when I got a signal, if I scraped the leaves off with my foot I got a clearer signal and different VDI number.

After I had worked this one slope over good and gotten all the finds I felt were there, I headed home for lunch. When I went back I brought a steel rake and raked the leaves off the slope I had already worked and worked the area again....you guessed it, more coins that were missed the first time I worked the area.

I'm not saying I would do this at every site, but I felt I was finding so many coins that it would be worth it and it was. My butt is dragging , but the anticipation of finding more coins made it worthwhile and the results only confirmed it.

However, now I'm wondering if something might be wrong with my coil or machine that I got better results after I removed the leaves, twigs and branches that were about 1-2 thick. What do you think ?

Carver
04-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm finding the same thing in the chiseled corn field I'm working right now. Most of the coin hits I get are off a little. Till I rake away the dead stalks,,,then I get a better reading. The Indians I'm finding are reading weirder than normal though,,,,some are way low VDIs and some are way high. I'm thinking the chemicals the farmers use on the field have something to do with it, :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

russellt
04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
sometimes you ought to just dig it all

coinnut
04-09-2011, 05:24 PM
We hunt a lot of cellar holes and therefore woods and lots of leaves and sticks. There is nothing wrong with your machine. I have had that happen with every White's machine I owned (right back to 1974) and it also happens with the E Trac to some extent. Somehow the loose leaves disrupt the signal ever so slightly. So when I have a ratty signal, I scrape the leaves away. If it is a falsing on iron, it usually improves the signal enough to get rid of the falsing and just give me a null. Don't know why it happens, but it does :dontknow:

steve in so az
04-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I do kow that consistently on my Fisher the more I dig down the louder the signal gets. I can almost always tell if it's a coin by the increased closeness. At your site I sure would dig it all, Steve in so az