PDA

View Full Version : Just finished 5th hunt with the F5

Dimeman
04-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Been on 3 outings since I last posted on the Fisher F5. thumbsup01
Learning the numbers and VDI screen setup and I like it very much. Really like the big numbers and rarely have to use the pinpoint mode--the coil is thin enough to get a good signal and while swinging back and forth move the coil forward and backwards to get the center of the target.

Learned how to ground balance a bit better and now it doesn't take as long to set the GB, the threshold, the gain and then start swinging the coil.

I have been going to totlots and then searching some of the grass areas in the local parks digging up some clad.
The F5 hits solid and loud on Zincs, copper pennies, dimes and quarters. Copper pennies are 69-70. Haven't found too many nickels. I have the DISC set to disc out iron and dig everything else above iron. The Zincs number is 59 or 60 --depends on how many I already found, but I usually dig them.

In the 5 outings with it, I haven't searched in old coin areas yet, but have dug 267 clad coins in totlots and the grass for a total of $31.67 so far. No pics----do you really want to see dirty clad coins :huh: :thinkingabout:

This is the perfect totlot detector :perfect10:--- lightweight, good sized VDI numbers ( for us older vision impared folks--otherwise know as blind-as-a bat :tongue:) and does sound solidly and steady on coin targets. Haven't located any jewelry items yet, but I bet it will find them as well as it does coins.
I just have to get my coil over some to find some 8/

Vito
04-09-2011, 01:52 PM
lol Ha ha... glad you like this machine.

Good Luck on your next hunt for some BLiNG BLiNG. :yes: thumbsup01 8) lol

Dimeman
04-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Vito.

I was asked by one of the locals on one of the 2 local forums here, to compare the AT Pro vs. the F5.................

I like the AT Pro for the depth it can get and the fact that in places with loads of trash, it can get thru the trash items to find the good targets. Also you can notch in or out any target you want to.. if you were looking for a particular item, like lost jewelry. The waterproof is just an extra bonus. The headphones are great but a little too heavy for summer use.

I like the F5 because it is very light and does very well on coins signals.Most of the coins I have dug using the F5 all have been solid steady VDI readings on the screen. As I haven't had too many nickel or in that range signals, I am sure it does well on those targets too. The numbers are good size and the target ID screen is very good.

Both are excellent detectors and do the job very well.

If you are needing a light park/totlot detector the F5 will do a great job.
If you want a water/land detector that can go pretty deep the AT Pro will do a great job.

As for which one is better:huh:thinkingabout:? I like them both equally, for the detecting that I use them for.

:omg: To Bowser----As much as I like the IDX, the F5 outdetects it. IMHO

coinnut
04-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Glad the F5 is working out for what you need it to do. At that rate it will pay for itself very soon :yes: I would be interested in seeing how it does on small gold. Sometimes tiny rings and chains can read into the negative (iron) range. Great hunt and keep us posted on how it does on nickels and gold.

Dimeman
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Glad the F5 is working out for what you need it to do. At that rate it will pay for itself very soon :yes: I would be interested in seeing how it does on small gold. Sometimes tiny rings and chains can read into the negative (iron) range. Great hunt and keep us posted on how it does on nickels and gold.

I did do a test of some gold items with it and my other detectors.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=5244.0

coinnut
04-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I did do a test of some gold items with it and my other detectors.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=5244.0

Wow, it reads gold pretty good. :clapping: Keeps it in the foil range and up. The 1 dollar gold is a tricky item and seems to read solid on the F5.

BOWSER
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks robbie for all the good info. thumbsup01