PDA

View Full Version : E-Trac and v3i Both Find Gold This Weekend

Epi-hunter
04-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Well, I went to an old park with the intent of finding silver but it was not to be this time around :-\ But hey, I am not going to argue with gold!

Yesterday was my first day detecting in many months (I have been overloaded at work and have not been able to get out). I had planned to do so today as well, but only got about 45 minutes in before the rain and storms sent me home.

I started with the E-Trac yesterday because I am much more familiar with it. I dug quite a few very deep wheats, as well as a few that were only about 6 at max but were mixed in trash. All of the wheats came from a trashy spot; the remainder of the park was picked clean of almost all targets. I only found one quarter and one dime in terms of clad all day. :shocked04: I don't think I have ever had a day with so little clad.

The best finds of the day were a dateless buffalo nickel and a gold ring dated 1914 and marked 14k. It registered as 12-19 on the E-Trac (a perfect pulltab signal :) )

Today I went back to the park with the intent of spending the day, but didn't even make it an hour before the rain forced me to leave. About 15 minutes after arriving I noticed that my E-Trac seemed to be acting strangely... upon testing it, I could not even get a signal with a quarter dropped on the ground; meanwhile, I was getting all kinds of chatter from the coil which makes me wonder if the coil is bad. Guess I will be testing out Minelab customer service! :crying02: Stay tuned....

So I put the E-Trac back in the car and pulled out the trusty v3i. I have very few hours of experience with this detector, so I am definitely in the learning mode. It was apparently my v3i gold day, because I swung it about four times, got a great solid pulltab VDI number and tone at 4 inches, and out pops this really nice gold and diamond ring :happydance01: This is a great site on top of the dirt :)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/finds6.gif

It has a hallmark but I can't read it because of wear, so I can't swear that it is gold. But the diamonds (all 7 of them) tested as diamonds. :happydance01:

I also found three wheats. Not bad for 45 minutes of detecting. I like the v3i!

Here are the finds:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/finds5.gif

And by the way, today I came across the only pulltab I have ever dug up and then reburied lol

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/finds7.gif

HH!

CyberSage
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Holy cow! That is a fantastic ring. Look at those rocks sparkle. What a great hunt Epi! Hope the ET is ok. That's a decent pile of Wheaties, there has to be some silver around. Good to see you getting out to hunt.

Jack

russellt
04-09-2011, 06:19 PM
what he said .. dang thats nice . hope your detector isnt messing up on you..... strange.. did you check for loose connections ?

coinnut
04-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Wow Angie, seems like you are gonna hit my goal of 5 gold finds this year lol Nice rings, especially the one with the rocks :drool: Glad you got out (I bet you are glad too lol) since all work and no play make for a bad year.

hope your detector isnt messing up on you..... strange.. did you check for loose connections ?

I was going to say the same thing lol Sounds like the coil wire may be be disconnected or loose. Or the probe switch is set to the probe and not to the machine( :thinkingabout: been there / done that ....lots lol) That ring I believe should pay off that V3i :clapping: :beerbuddy:

Carl in Louisiana
04-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Awesome hunt :perfect10: nothing wrong with gold and diamonds they just seem to compliment each other so beautifully :smitten:. The ring that I found with one large diamond in it did not have any markings at all so I took it to the jeweler and it tested 14k and retailed for $2500.00-$2800.00. Have it checked I am no expert but it sure looks gold to me. Congrats on two golden days in a row thumbsup01

jkress
04-09-2011, 06:55 PM
:shocked04: Awesome gold plus diamonds!!! Your short hunts are really paying off big time. :happydance01:
Both of the rings are beautiful specimens. :clapping:
Bummer about the E-trac. Hope it all works out for you.
Congrats Angie.

Carver
04-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Holy cow Angie!!!! What great finds!!!! Congrats on the gold and diamonds!!! Good for you <: <: <: <: <: <:

del
04-09-2011, 07:28 PM
:perfect10: happydance02 :perfect10: very impressive to hit gold on multiple machines Angie |:confused:) |:confused:) congrats on two gold rings this early into the season . :cheering: :cheering:

zrickkid
04-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice hunt Angie. Hope your e-trac is ok. crying01
Nice rings by the way. :angelic:

pulltabsteve
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
SWEEET!!!!! Nice rings Angie. Good hunting. Hope minelab customer service is good to you. :yes:

PL8MAN
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Great looking rings :beerbuddy:

angellionel
04-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Awesome finds Angie! :perfect10: That is an impressive showing. :happydance01: Those rings were worth the time out. :smitten:

odave
04-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Beautiful Ring Angie thumbsup01 Congratulations thumbsup01 thumbsup01

rsarge1
04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Awesome gold plus diamonds!!! |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

mike l
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice coins and gold :clapping: :yes:

hockeyguy
04-09-2011, 10:06 PM
WOW! WOW! :callme: :callme:

Ill Digger
04-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow!! You sure didn't waste any time did you! lol
Those are both killer finds Angie!! :perfect10:
It's good to hear your getting a little Me time too thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:
What are the initials on the ring without the stones? I thought it was a GSA ring at first glance. Now... :confused:...I'm not so sure :dontknow: lol

DaleGM
04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
if that dont start gold fever I dont know what will :clapping: :clapping: you wont find diamonds in junk rings so have it checked for 14 or even 18K gold,well done Angie!!!! :peace: :peace: :peace:

Evan/tn
04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Now that's a great little hun t you had there :perfect10:
Sweet digging that old dated gold :envious:
Way to go Angie!

Salty Dog
04-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Congrats on a two gold ring day :clapping: :clapping: that one with the stones I'm betting is 18K thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
04-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you so much everyone :) I appreciate the feedback. It has been awhile since I have been detecting and have been able to post. I intend to change that!

I do think the second ring is going to be worth some bucks :smitten: Yes, I hope it will pay for the v3i :yes:

I tinkered with all of the connections on the E-Trac while in the field yesterday but nothing worked. And yes George, I had the switch flipped to the coil and not the probe lol Although I have done that more times than I want to admit rofl

Schrecky
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Sweet finds, way to start the year.

Cheap Thrills
04-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Wow Angie !! When you get a chance to get out you kick butt . Awesome rings ,a great wheat score , nice pictures and the worm is pretty spectacular too !! :perfect10: Sorry to hear about your E-trac it's a good thing you aren't dependent on one detector . thumbsup01 Hope you get more chances to get out and hunt . :yes: