PDA

View Full Version : Corroded Fugio and Sterling Locket

angellionel
12-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Waiting for the snow to melt is making me fidgety. :lol:

I drove to one of the parks to see if there was any open ground I could detect for a short while. Unfortunately, once there I saw that most of the fields were still covered with snow and ice. There was a small area not far from where I parked my car having only a thin layer of snow or none at all, so I decided to work that. I didn't pick up any silver coins, but I did manage to dig up a sterling silver locket and a corroded Fugio cent. I left when my toes started to give out on me. :huh:

It's not pretty but I still like it - a 1787 Fugio cent.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_fugiocent_122409.jpg

The locket too made detecting through the snow worth the effort

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_silverlocket_122409.jpg

It isn't a Timex, so it isn't ticking. :lol:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_watch_122409.jpg

I was only able to dig in the ground where there is grass. All other exposed ground was too frozen to dig through. Maybe this weekend will be better and I can have another shot at a silver coin or two.

HH!

bmattioli
12-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Yea, today was finally warmer to hunt.. Very nice Fugio cent, wow those don't come up too often. Love the Silver locket that's really cool.. The last two weeks were brutally cold.. Tomorrow I'll be out there..

del
12-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Angel you just don't want to throw in the towel huh ;) really can't say that i blame you :yes: a fugio is very cool find wish it was in a little better shape , atleast to tell what variety anyways . the sterling locket is very nice , congrats on them both .good luck and hope you get a few silver coins this weekend , i'll be out one more time saturday as the machine is just working perfectly and i refuse to put it down . :twirlingeyes:

Dan

Islandhunter
12-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Awesome finds!! Congrats!!! That locket is neat and love that Fugio...too bad it is such rough shape but you at least can tell what it is and its not jsut a copper slug...maybe it will clean up nicely for ya?

Epi-hunter
12-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I would still be dancing and singing if I found that Fugio...

So today after detecting he calls and tells me about his day, frozen toes and all that, :rolleyes: and then says... I had hoped to find a silver coin today. :lol:

He finds a 1787 Fugio cent in a public park, and he is wishing for a merc :rofl:

That is also a very nice locket. I'm sure the digging was tough, but you did great as usual ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-24-2009, 10:39 PM
very nice! see the luck that you have? a fugio in a frozen public park? :confused:
nice day out for sure!
i'll be out this weekend a a day or 2 more next week.i swear i'm gonna tie G in this copper race :thumbsup01: merry christmas!

coinnut
12-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Sweet Fugio :yes: It may just clean up nicely, you never know. The locket looks kinda old too , like 1890's / 1900's. but the word Sterling may make it newer. But the design is an older one. Hope you get the chance and hit those 2, hmmmm, I mean 4 silvers before the bewitching hour strikes. ;)

coinnut
12-24-2009, 11:49 PM
i'll be out this weekend a a day or 2 more next week.i swear i'm gonna tie G in this copper race :thumbsup01: merry christmas!

Dave, Dave, Dave.... You only get to go out one day to tie me, cause we're only going out one day. You want to win fairly, don't ya? :rofl: :poke: :poke:

John M
12-25-2009, 07:25 AM
A fugio in any condition is a good find.You still came away with some silver even if it isn't a coin.

randy
12-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Very nice! Glad you managed to find some turf to detect.

Islandhunter
12-25-2009, 08:03 AM
like 1890's / 1900's. but the word Sterling may make it newer. But the design is an older one.

any idea when they started marking silver with the Sterling label?

coinnut
12-25-2009, 10:20 AM
any idea when they started marking silver with the Sterling label?

I tried to Google it and I found a million articles, mostly trying to sell you sterling :lol: But I did stumble onto one site that listed the US laws from 1906, and in it they referred to labeling .925 goods with either Sterling or Sterling silver. So it may be difficult to pindown an exact date. But it goes back farther than I would have thought. So Angel's locket may have been turn of the century, since it looked old (by the engravings) but the word Sterling threw me off. I'm still thinking 1890's-1900's. Maybe someone can get some more info on it. There appears to be a hallmark after the word Sterling that should pin down a date and maybe even a country of origin if the hallmark can be made out.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Dave, Dave, Dave.... You only get to go out one day to tie me, cause we're only going out one day. You want to win fairly, don't ya? :rofl: :poke: :poke:

UNT UH!!!!!!! :rofl:

angellionel
12-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

Yea, today was finally warmer to hunt.. Very nice Fugio cent, wow those don't come up too often. Love the Silver locket that's really cool.. The last two weeks were brutally cold.. Tomorrow I'll be out there..

I like the silver locket too. It's in great condition, and it will clean up very nicely.

The recent frigid days have made it very difficult to dig into the nearly frozen ground. :bummer: The areas around the trees, where there is hardly any grass, is much too hard for a regular trowel. I hope you do well when you get out there!

Angel you just don't want to throw in the towel huh ;) really can't say that i blame you :yes: a fugio is very cool find wish it was in a little better shape , atleast to tell what variety anyways . the sterling locket is very nice , congrats on them both .good luck and hope you get a few silver coins this weekend , i'll be out one more time saturday as the machine is just working perfectly and i refuse to put it down . :twirlingeyes:

Dan

I need to put my machine away. I have it where I can see it and it calls at me to go out for a few swings. :lol: I'm hoping to get out this weekend too, though I will have to go through my list of sites to select one where I can actually detect and not have to worry too much about dealing with frozen ground. :bangahead02:

Awesome finds!! Congrats!!! That locket is neat and love that Fugio...too bad it is such rough shape but you at least can tell what it is and its not jsut a copper slug...maybe it will clean up nicely for ya?

Thanks! I'm going to try swabbing it with some coin conditioner to remove more of the soil and see if any other details can be made out.

I would still be dancing and singing if I found that Fugio...

So today after detecting he calls and tells me about his day, frozen toes and all that, :rolleyes: and then says... I had hoped to find a silver coin today. :lol:

He finds a 1787 Fugio cent in a public park, and he is wishing for a merc :rofl:

That is also a very nice locket. I'm sure the digging was tough, but you did great as usual ;)

:lol: :lol:

I still want that merc. :tongue: I'm actually quite pleased with the Fugio cent. :yes: At first I thought it was a large cent from the 1800's. It was too muddy and crusted with soil to be able to tell what it was when I first dug it up.

very nice! see the luck that you have? a fugio in a frozen public park? :confused:
nice day out for sure!

You should still have a chance to catch up on the copper race with del and coinnut. Sunday is supposed to be in the 40's. :thumbsup01:

I have done OK this year with coppers at the parks I have hit, picking up a total of 16. I just wish they would hold up better, though a few are in nice condition. :yes:

Sweet Fugio :yes: It may just clean up nicely, you never know. The locket looks kinda old too , like 1890's / 1900's. but the word Sterling may make it newer. But the design is an older one. Hope you get the chance and hit those 2, hmmmm, I mean 4 silvers before the bewitching hour strikes. ;)

I think the silver coins will elude me in what remains of this year, but it will be fun trying to come up with a few - if I don't freeze to death that is. :lol:

I think you might be right about the locket. What is engraved on the inside is 'sterling925', so it is likely from the early 1900s. :confused:

CyberSage
12-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Even though I tell myself I am done for the year, ya just have to keep going back. Fantastic finds Angel. Nice coin!

SpringTxDigger
12-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Angel nice finds. You continue to have an Awesome year. It's exciting to read your post. I'll be waiting to see how many more silver you get before the year is up.

MNDigger
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Great looking hunt angel! If I'm not mistaken I believe that Timberland watch is actually a Timex! :lol: I believe Indiglo is a Timex trademark or patent.