PDA

View Full Version : 1785 nova constellatio at cellar site

del
12-26-2009, 04:15 PM
coinnut and i started our day around 5:20 like we do every Saturday , we had some freezing rain the night before so the driving was a little slower than ( driving like i'm going to a fire) usual lol we get to our destination and we were surprised at the snow level was just a bit to much ( about 4 inches :mad:) for our liking but hit it for a few hours anyway . i had to detect in mixed mode on the dfx to help with the depth but the finds just weren't there , so George suggested another spot and after a about an hour i popped up a large plain dandy button and shortly after that my 36th :grin: copper came out of the ground . my first 1785 nova constellatio :shocked04:stretcher:(pointed ray variety) that i'm very happy with , 2009 has been a great year with a few first for me but this one is my sweetest :yes: and on the last hunt of the year for me . hey thanks for looking .

Dan

cab
12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
It looks like you had a great day dan congrats wish i could of went,the coin looks like it has alot of detail.

del
12-26-2009, 04:50 PM
thanks Chris its in better shape than the pictures show, ya you should of went we had a good time out .

coinnut
12-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Sweet little copper lol Come into my pouch ;) What a great coin!! That's a great way to end the season :yes: Although last year you ended it with a GW button :shocked04: We made it out before it started to rain, but I hear there may be snow comin'. This probably was the last hunt this year crying01 Lucky next year is just around the corner. :cheesysmile: I didn't get much except for some buttons. 2 out of the 3 large cloak buttons were decorated. The Memorial is there to overshadow the Nova lol. Great hunt Dan!!

del
12-26-2009, 04:57 PM
thanks man. nice buttons George and yes that memorial overshadows that copper , not lol :tongue: but i appreciate the effort ;)

Epi-hunter
12-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that memorial just doesn't look right in that photo lol

What a fantastic coin. That would be the find of a lifetime for me! I am so envious of all your cellar hole finds. I'm going to move out there and give you guys a run for your money lol (I'm sure you're shaking with fear rofl )

coinnut
12-26-2009, 05:32 PM

What a fantastic coin. That would be the find of a lifetime for me! I am so envious of all your cellar hole finds. I'm going to move out there and give you guys a run for your money lol (I'm sure you're shaking with fear rofl )

Hey, I know all of you are jealous about my Memorial :yes: :crazy: If you moved out here, we'd make a cellar dweller out of you in a month :bop: lol You'd be a pro in no time :grin:

randy
12-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow, that copper is in awesome shape. Any cleaning other than just rinsing?

Epi-hunter
12-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey, I know all of you are jealous about my Memorial :yes: :crazy: If you moved out here, we'd make a cellar dweller out of you in a month :bop: lol You'd be a pro in no time :grin:

It would take you ten minutes to make a cellar dweller out of me. And a lot longer than a month to make me a pro at it rofl

Islandhunter
12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Awesome way to end out the year!!! Some really nice old coppers being found lately and they are nice to see, especially when the season is supposedly over for alot of us...Nice to see some diehards out there in the snow and taking advantage before the frost sets in totally!! thumbsup01

coinnut
12-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Here's an update on Dan's copper. Officially it's listed under Proposed Confederation Contract Issues. Designed by Wyon, coined in Birmingham, England, by order of a merchant in New York. It's actually listed as Constellatio Nova and not the other way around (I don't know, something to do with how it's said in Latin lol) The script US is copied from a Contental Army button. All coins were struck in 1785 or 1786. The 1783 version is a commemorative issue. Dan, I think your copper is listed in Breens as #1111. 1785, pointed rays, pellets at date, course dentils. a/k/a Crosby 3-B pl. VII, 29. Just some rough guesses on price. In F= $200.00, VF= $450.00, XF= $1000.00. Now was that worth a cold day's hunt?? thumbsup01

angellionel
12-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Sweet find, Dan! That coin no doubt made the trip and detecting in that snow worth all the effort. :yes:

I like those buttons, George, though that small disk at the lower right sends shivers down my spine...not sure why. lol

Very good hunt and great end to the year!

bmattioli
12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
WoW Dan that's a great piece, nice to see you two made it out.. Alittle brezzy but not bad. Maybe I should try out some woods?

del
12-26-2009, 08:04 PM

thanks Angie

don't mind George he gets real proud of them zincolns ( his favorite coin at a 200 year old cellar) and lets face it you don't find'em very often at these places lol :poke: :twirlingeyes:
as far as comming out here i don't have a problem with that at all , consider us your official colonial cellar tour guides lol ;)

ya what he said :yes:

Wow, that copper is in awesome shape. Any cleaning other than just rinsing?

hey thanks Randy it was one of those that the crust flaked off so i just rinsed it and then put a coin restorer on and waa-laa

Awesome way to end out the year!!! Some really nice old coppers being found lately and they are nice to see, especially when the season is supposedly over for alot of us...Nice to see some diehards out there in the snow and taking advantage before the frost sets in totally!! thumbsup01

kind of you to say IH , thanks

Here's an update on Dan's copper. Officially it's listed under Proposed Confederation Contract Issues. Designed by Wyon, coined in Birmingham, England, by order of a merchant in New York. It's actually listed as Constellatio Nova and not the other way around (I don't know, something to do with how it's said in Latin lol) The script US is copied from a Contental Army button. All coins were struck in 1785 or 1786. The 1783 version is a commemorative issue. Dan, I think your copper is listed in Breens as #1111. 1785, pointed rays, pellets at date, course dentils. a/k/a Crosby 3-B pl. VII, 29. Just some rough guesses on price. In F= $200.00, VF= $450.00, XF= $1000.00. Now was that worth a cold day's hunt?? thumbsup01

wow your fast with that info man , thanks . its very much appreciated George thumbsup01

Sweet find, Dan! That coin no doubt made the trip and detecting in that snow worth all the effort. :yes:
Very good hunt and great end to the year!

thanks you Angel it was a great surprise to end the year with .

WoW Dan that's a great piece, nice to see you two made it out.. Alittle brezzy but not bad. Maybe I should try out some woods?

thanks Bruce , i'll tell you now the ground was like soft butter and the coin was maybe 5 inches deep with about 2 to 3 inches of snow on top.

bmattioli
12-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Man, I didn't know that coin was that scarce. Nice reaserch George.. That's a sweet find Dan.. Glad tomorrow is suposed to be warm, can't wait.. Good luck you two!

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
wow thats a beauty Dan! nice! i'm gonna go solo tomorrow at the site i pulled my 5 coppers that day.and the 1820 and 1803 LC's .hope i find somethin with the snow.hopefully this rain will knock down the snow a bit.
fantastic coin.nice shape too!
thumbsup01 CONGRATS!
i had a brainstorm lol gonna bring my beach hunter id 300 too.since this has the 12 inch coil maybe i'll get some depth at this site.see what happens tomorrow.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Sweet little copper lol Come into my pouch ;) What a great coin!! That's a great way to end the season :yes: Although last year you ended it with a GW button :shocked04: We made it out before it started to rain, but I hear there may be snow comin'. This probably was the last hunt this year crying01 Lucky next year is just around the corner. :cheesysmile: I didn't get much except for some buttons. 2 out of the 3 large cloak buttons were decorated. The Memorial is there to overshadow the Nova lol. Great hunt Dan!!

nice button G ya guys did well! yeah like i said before....gonna be hard to top this year.you both did fabulous! thumbsup01

del
12-26-2009, 10:01 PM
wow thats a beauty Dan! nice! i'm gonna go solo tomorrow at the site i pulled my 5 coppers that day.and the 1820 and 1803 LC's .hope i find somethin with the snow.hopefully this rain will knock down the snow a bit.
fantastic coin.nice shape too!
thumbsup01 CONGRATS!
i had a brainstorm lol gonna bring my beach hunter id 300 too.since this has the 12 inch coil maybe i'll get some depth at this site.see what happens tomorrow.

thanks Dave hey does that beach hunter id have the led lights :huh: red yellow green:huh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
thanks Dave hey does that beach hunter id have the led lights :huh: red yellow green:huh:

yeah dan yellow/light blue/red.idk if its worth bringing but gonna give it a shot.if the iron light is going crazy i'll just park it and go with the spectrum.just hope the rain stops for the morning.looks like its doing some damge to the snow so..thats good! thumbsup01

del
12-26-2009, 10:18 PM
yeah dan yellow/light blue/red.idk if its worth bringing but gonna give it a shot.if the iron light is going crazy i'll just park it and go with the spectrum.just hope the rain stops for the morning.looks like its doing some damge to the snow so..thats good! thumbsup01

that beach hunter i.d. machine is basically a dfx (a vlf machine) dressed as a beach detector and not a pulse induction unit so you could just put that coil on your dfx and run it like that as well . as far as the rain good luck i thought it was going to rain until around noon but since when are the weather men right.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 10:22 PM
that beach hunter i.d. machine is basically a dfx (a vlf machine) dressed as a beach detector and not a pulse induction unit so you could just put that coil on your dfx and run it like that as well . as far as the rain good luck i thought it was going to rain until around noon but since when are the weather men right.

problem is this coil doesn't come off being a under water machine.its all sealed.meaning i can't unscrew the cable from housing.and after that hunt with G and mikey rain don't bother me anymore lol when ya get home and have to ring out your underwear ya know been through the wetest of the wetest!

del
12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
problem is this coil doesn't come off being a under water machine.its all sealed.meaning i can't unscrew the cable from housing.and after that hunt with G and mikey rain don't bother me anymore lol

aahhh , i did not know this . well if your going out in the rain maybe thats the one(underwater machine) to bring ;) hey becareful out there in them woods by yourself man.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 10:30 PM
aahhh , i did not know this . well if your going out in the rain maybe thats the one(underwater machine) to bring ;) hey becareful out there in them woods by yourself man.

i will dan thanks! hope i can squeek somethin outta this site. you guys going out again?

del
12-26-2009, 10:46 PM
i will dan thanks! hope i can squeek somethin outta this site. you guys going out again?

probably not this year :crying02: so what i'll have to wait another week for next year lol rofl

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
probably not this year :crying02: so what i'll have to wait another week for next year lol rofl

lol.and the race starts all over :poke: :bop:

John M
12-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Well now that is a good way to wind down the year.The Nova looks to be in real good shape.Both of you guys got some nice Colonial buttons as well,can't complain when they pop up.As for George and the memorial...............the only thing I can say is that it shows the broad range of finds made at them cellar holes.

del
12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Well now that is a good way to wind down the year.The Nova looks to be in real good shape.Both of you guys got some nice Colonial buttons as well,can't complain when they pop up.As for George and the memorial...............the only thing I can say is that it shows the broad range of finds made at them cellar holes.

thanks John , i hope this rain we're getting is melting the snow in your area to. i sure would like to see you get out more next year and we definately have to meet up for a few hunts as well.i'll be doing some more research on some new spots down that way and you'll be the man i call when we go . you take care .

Dan