PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find A Dropped Nickel

MartinL
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I was hunting last night in the dark, had a hole dug and was using the Pro Pointer using the nickel/double the depth trick when I let the nickel slip to the ground. OK I said, I'll just find it with the detector or the PP. Danged! the thing is still lost. I went back today in the daylight(My own yard anyway) and searched again, both with the 10 D2, then the Pro Pointer and then the 6x10 DD. That sucker will not pick up, and I absolutely know the small area it fell. I maybe filled it in with the dirt last night, which is the only way I can see that it is unreadable. This was up close to my circle drive cement, and that cement is reinforced. I can read other surface coins fine. This is strange! Like it feel through a black hole. martin

Never mind. It was several feet away on the path I took toward the door going in. It obviously landed on and rode my tennis shoe til it fell off. It was driving me nuts!

coinnut
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Whew! lol If you can't find nickels, then you can't find GOLD :shocked04:stretcher: That would not have been good.

Spike
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Whew! lol If you can't find nickels, then you can't find GOLD :shocked04:stretcher: That would not have been good.
We could lend him a E-trac or At pro :poke: :poke: rofl

MartinL
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I ended up taking two different detectors out there, and swapped in two different coils. Ended up being I eyeballed the nickel out in the gravel part of the driveway, a good 6' from the spot in the grass where it was dropped. Mutphy's Law.

RWJR13
04-15-2011, 08:24 PM
lol lol lol Oh Martin.. 8/..You are a piece of work..... :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes:

MartinL
04-15-2011, 09:46 PM
I deserve a star for persistence. It was only one of the clad nickels I'd dug up a while back, still black and dirty. I dropped in in the kneeling position, so it had to piggy back in my loose shoe laces, unless there's a ghost I haven't met here yet ;-) I wasn't quitin' till I made sense out of it all. martin

Ill Digger
04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
lol Sounds like somethin' that would happin' to me :hairpulling: :rolleyes: lol

exsquid
04-22-2011, 07:42 PM
We could lend him a E-trac or At pro :poke: :poke: rofl

That wouldn't be nice...why frustrate him even more:huh:thinkingabout:? rofl rofl

fastfwd
06-03-2011, 11:27 PM
hehe reminds me of the time i wore my steel toed boots detecting ! kept getting this signal but could never find anything !

MartinL
06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
It was the most frustrating event at the time that it happened. it was getting dark, I dug a signal which was close to my concrete circle drive, used the double-depth trick with the nickel on the Garrett's PP, dropped the nickel and froze dead in my tracks to try and find it visually. Between the V3i and the PP,,,that surface coin was not rearing it's head at all. All the while, it had apparently rested in the lacing on my tennis shoe until I finally gave up and returned inside the house a different coil, and then for the 5900. One of the journeys had the nickel plopped onto a dirty area of the concrete(reinforced.) There was a simple answer, yet it took a whole day, two machines, three different coils(4 counting the PP) to resolve it all. My eyes, in good daylight, beat all of the technology ;-) martin