PDA

View Full Version : tell me why

BOWSER
04-17-2011, 01:16 AM
i keep getting vdi's in the high eighties for lousy 7 inch deeop rusty bottlecaps with the new mxt.Am i the only 1 with this problem, it doesn't seem to matter how much disc i use. :confused:

Hunt4Fun
04-17-2011, 01:42 AM
I get that a LOT more when using a DD coil than when I use a concentric coil on my MXT. If you are using a DD, try switching to a concentric in the areas that have a lot of rusty bottlecaps.

There is a trick that sometimes works. Pinpoint the high eighty VDI, then switch to search mode and run the extreme front edge of the coil over the pinpointed location. If the VDI switches to a negative reading, it is probably a rusty bottle cap.

Vito
04-17-2011, 04:02 AM
The secret on this is called rimming, Jim.

Rudy (you know this baghead lol) did a post some time ago on the FMDF. >HIT ME< (http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=15664&highlight=rimming) to read the post.

Hope this will help you in the future on not to dig those pesky bottlecaps.

Vito

BOWSER
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
thanks Vito you always come through. Thanks to Rudy too. thumbsup01

Vito
04-18-2011, 01:18 AM
thanks Vito you always come through. Thanks to Rudy too. thumbsup01

No problem, Sir. You're always very welcome.

midas
04-18-2011, 07:45 AM
The rusty bottlecaps always give a high VDI 90 - 95, but in pinpoint mode, the center will be off to the side or the machine will null completely over the center.

rcasio44
07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Bowser you are still having IDX withdrawal. :groovy: :groovy:

BOWSER
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
If i want to go hunting for coins the idx is the machine to do it, if you want find coins and other good stuff than the mxt is the machine to use.The mxt has good days and bad as far as i can see.Today all the qrter signals were bottlecaps :dontknow:

idx pro finds

coinnut
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey Bowser, I didn't have either of those machines, but had the DFX for years. Sometimes it's just ground conditions that alter a signal. I know after it rained the iron would light up on the dfx and start to read better. Add in EMI and it gets even worse. The same happens with the E Trac. Sometimes the iron doesn't false or hit good and other times it starts to bleed into the good range. I usually adjust what I dig or try and find some way of seeing if the signals are somehow different. That has always worked for me.

BOWSER
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks,for the replies,i had the mxt on a high school field after heavy rains,between the machine being in relic mode,sounding just like the 36 canadian geese nearby,and all the iron signals ,i gave up and moved to another site .Do you think that goose turds could have an effect also :dontknow:

Toadman
07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
You live in Mass.. I say just dig it dude ! :teasing: :teasing: :teasing: :teasing:

BOWSER
07-29-2011, 11:17 PM
I would hate to think that i am not going to have the one big score before my detcting time ends this year.I have about 55 hrs of using the mxt, I have another 50 to go before i get discouraged.Of course i'm the kinda guy that won't be happy unless he finds a pot of gold.